Pad/Rotor Replacement? Should I go Drilled/Slotted.

Hi All,
Looks like my 2017 Nissan Frontier is due for its first Pad/rotor change (actually rotors look good but I usually do it all in one shot) I went to look at ordering pads and rotors and stumbled upon these on tire rack of all places.

(https://www.tirerack.com/brakes/bra...tier+Crew+Cab&autoYear=2017&autoModClar=SV+V6)

The truck sees fairly light weight duty mostly hauling road bikes (and not much since according to USAc racing season is pretty much DOA this year) and camping stuff around with the occasional landscaping stuff for our cabin in CO albeit we do have plans to semi-regularly bumper tow small rental trailers from Scottsdale up to Flagstaff and back in the summer. I know I don’t need drilled and slotted rotors but when I compare these to quality pads and OEM spec rotors It looks like these packs are a cheaper option. Only thing holding me up is the pad material being listed as “composite” (does this mean ceramic? Since from my understanding ceramic pads are composites) and limited reviews, of the pads themselves.

Has anyone here used Street Select pads? Normally I’d go with Akebono proact ceramics (I believe Akebono makes the brake systems for most Nissans) but the cost savings and the cool looking drilled and slotted rotors are calling my name. Fwiw pad life isn’t really a big deal to me.

I have been getting Wagner coated rotors recently and Akebono ProAct pads. Forget the drilled/slotted rotors. Its not on the track nor racing the mountain roads of Europe. I cannot tell where you live, but get coated in the rust belt. May still rust but slower.

When I put drilled rotors on a sonata (did not order but they were sent by mistake), the brakes made a weird woosh braking sound sometimes.

I would say no for street use.

Drilled and or slotted will cause noise when braking. It also reduces the mass of the rotor which is one of the characteristics that makes a rotor better. More mass means less heat rise. Also makes it more difficult to machine. It is purely for looks. Basically it means several drawbacks, with no benefits.

I agree it looks cool but drilled/slotted are intended for short life performance. On longer intervals I have heard that they can develop cracks. If youre after looks just get the dimpled (not drilled thru) rotors. They look better and work well with lower risk of cracks.

Unless you’re also getting a BBK installed, no drilled/slotted rotors. You lose mass and also swept braking surface. Which means your brakes ultimately don’t stop as designed and you’re also replacing rotors more often. To make up for the loss of surface area with holes and slots you would need a bigger rotor, which also means a different caliper/bracket and wheels to clear the brakes.

Cross drilled slotted rotors were developed to reduce brake pad float due to outgassing. Slotted rotors tend to chew up pads faster. I'd stick with regular rotors.

Reactions: JC1
Hi All,
Looks like my 2017 Nissan Frontier is due for its first Pad/rotor change (actually rotors look good but I usually do it all in one shot) I went to look at ordering pads and rotors and stumbled upon these on tire rack of all places.

(https://www.tirerack.com/brakes/bra...tier+Crew+Cab&autoYear=2017&autoModClar=SV+V6)

The truck sees fairly light weight duty mostly hauling road bikes (and not much since according to USAc racing season is pretty much DOA this year) and camping stuff around with the occasional landscaping stuff for our cabin in CO albeit we do have plans to semi-regularly bumper tow small rental trailers from Scottsdale up to Flagstaff and back in the summer. I know I don’t need drilled and slotted rotors but when I compare these to quality pads and OEM spec rotors It looks like these packs are a cheaper option. Only thing holding me up is the pad material being listed as “composite” (does this mean ceramic? Since from my understanding ceramic pads are composites) and limited reviews, of the pads themselves.

Has anyone here used Street Select pads? Normally I’d go with Akebono proact ceramics (I believe Akebono makes the brake systems for most Nissans) but the cost savings and the cool looking drilled and slotted rotors are calling my name. Fwiw pad life isn’t really a big deal to me.
Drilled slotted rotors, a gimmick for every day use, some people think it turns there mini van into a race car.

They will make your car 20% faster in 0 to 60.
I saw it in a commercial somewhere. I think. Dunno for sure.

Do yourself a favor.
Go to RockAuto and but Raybestos Element E pad and rotor set.
You will love 'em.
Interesting have had Raybestos in the past and was pleased. Will more than likely go this route.

I put Zimmerman drilled rotors on my old BMW 318 back in the day. They worked fine, no noise, no grinding, but no real benefit either.

I’ll take the added mass of a plain rotor, in a high quality design. I’ll paint the hats if I’m not satisfied. No reason to pay more, IMO for a road vehicle.

Go for it. I've got drilled/slotted rotors on 3/4 of my cars and they work great. No noise. No drama. I have Stoptech slotted rotors on my daily and Powerstop slotted/drilled on my SUVs. I've used EBC Redstuff, Centric Posi-Quiet ceramic, and Powerstop Z23s on these vehicles all with good results. Life is sometimes about more than buying the cheapest/basic things - if you like how the drilled/slotted rotors look, do it!

Back