P gasket vs flat ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got an 09 Subaru with the 2.5 (non-turbo) and am running my first Wix (57712) on this car. I'd run Wix on my old Outback with no problems.

Until this oil change, I'd been running OEM Subaru filters I got when I bought the car. The OEM filter has a P-type gasket, the Wix gasket is flat.

I've had a drip since I put this filter on at the filter. It's not enough to reach the ground, but it does blow around at speed. I've pulled the filter and checked the gasket which looks fine. The mounting point is as clean as can be, and smooth. I re-tightened it to contact plus 3/4 to 7/8 turn, and it still drips.

Is this drip because of the difference in the gasket ? Or is it more likely just dumb luck? I'd like to keep running the Wix as their easier to get, but I don't like the drip.

Try going as tight as you can get it one handed.

if it still leaks probably just that filter. I've used both types and had both work, and both leak.

I'm curious is this one of the Subaru models where the exhaust manifold wraps around the oil filter? If so, seems I remember reading here about some oil weeping/seeping from the sealing gasket on some filters. A very tough filter location and environment imo.

And there was a Subaru oem oring/pring leaking gasket issue that resulted in a filter recall. But that's likely unrelated.

I've never had an issue with the flat gasket type. Only an issue with a Toyota Denso P type that leaked with a dealer installation.

May just have to go back to oem if the Wix is tightened as much as you dare and it's still seeping.

Change the filter and see what happens . The cost of the filter isn't worth the drip, then return the leaky filter.

It is one of those Subaru models with the manifold that wraps around the filter. It's a PITA to get at, and one of the only ones I've ever needed a wrench to remove. There's no torque available to loosen it at that angle, and barely enough to tighten it.

I did get some more filters from the dealer, but I do have one Wix left.

I think I'll go back to the OEM filters for the rest of the winter (I'm almost due for a change again), and try the other Wix in the spring. I would rather work on it when it's warmer and the days are longer.

I've heard that on some cars filters are getting to be a bit of a struggle to R+R, but I've not run into any yet on what I maintain. Never had a leaker either=oh, shouldn't have said that!

Originally Posted By: Wheel
It is one of those Subaru models with the manifold that wraps around the filter. It's a PITA to get at, and one of the only ones I've ever needed a wrench to remove. There's no torque available to loosen it at that angle, and barely enough to tighten it.

I did get some more filters from the dealer, but I do have one Wix left.

I think I'll go back to the OEM filters for the rest of the winter (I'm almost due for a change again), and try the other Wix in the spring. I would rather work on it when it's warmer and the days are longer.

There's a Malaysian company named Union Sangyo, whose filters have the P shaped gasket. I've used them for 24 years on numerous Asian/Japanese cars with no problem. Oscaro online carries the C-431 for your car for $3.75 each. Shipping is a flat $4.99 for small orders and free for orders over $65. Worth a try?

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz

There's a Malaysian company named Union Sangyo, whose filters have the P shaped gasket. I've used them for 24 years on numerous Asian/Japanese cars with no problem. Oscaro online carries the C-431 for your car for $3.75 each. Shipping is a flat $4.99 for small orders and free for orders over $65. Worth a try?

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Not doubting you but as further information, I did a google search of Subaru oil filter seeping and came up with at least one image with same filter location showing dripping from the filter but it's origin was not the oil filter. Oil was also hitting the exhaust manifold.

As for location, looks like if not careful a burn could easily result. It's an odd one for sure.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I bet that the filter is weeping at the seam and not the gasket
I have seen many such filters in the years of work.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Not doubting you but as further information, I did a google search of Subaru oil filter seeping and came up with at least one image with same filter location showing dripping from the filter but it's origin was not the oil filter. Oil was also hitting the exhaust manifold.

As for location, looks like if not careful a burn could easily result. It's an odd one for sure.

Yes, I've seen that too and am watching my head gaskets and valve covers closely. I had hoped Subaru had finally worked that out.

Originally Posted By: Wheel
Is this drip because of the difference in the gasket ? Or is it more likely just dumb luck? I'd like to keep running the Wix as their easier to get, but I don't like the drip.

+3 on leaking from the metal crimp, and not from the rubber base gasket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back