Always check for double gaskets on install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess I can't use Fram, Wix, any Purolator made filter, any Champ made filter and most any filter made in China then since they have all at one time or another had a gasket stick to the block.

But then again, I check my filter and block when it comes off. Thats oil change 101. Even my 17 yr old daughter knows this.

Sorry OP, but blaming something else for your mistake is the issue here, not the filter manufacture.

Not a FRAM fan, but any filter can leave the gasket behind. In your case, it's called pilot error.

I have been changing my own oil for 50 years or so. For the first 25 years or so just used the cheapest filter I could get,
Did not use fram. Past 25 years always used ac/delco on my chevy trucks. Got a Frontier for the past year. I did 4 oil changes on
it. Factory filter, then one wix filter then decided to try fram ultra. Changed it the other day and I ended up with a doubled gasket losing 3 quarts of oil.
I always coat my gasket and tighten to specs. Just a fluke maybe but I am going back to either wix or oem.

Double gasketing is the fault of the installer. The failure to properly clean the mount surface. Even a cursory look at either the filter mount, or even the old filter, would’ve revealed that stuck gasket.

I have never had a gasket stick on me in 25 years of changing oil... I always lube the new gasket and wipe the mount clean just to make sure. I'm absolutely against Fram filters due to past experiences but it's not Fram's fault in this case. Seems like the Fram gasket might not have been oiled before the install...???

I like to stab an awl or small screw driver through the rubber anti-drain back valve so the filter will drain. It also helps me remember to visually inspect the gasket.

did that same thing on my very first oil change at age 16...I didn't check for a stuck gasket and lost probably 4 quarts of oil in the driveway ..lesson learned the hard way but I always remember to checknow

I had it happen a long time ago, Fram orange can, and most have been Fram reported it seems. It could be the gasket comes off the filter easier. It isn't an excuse not to check, and I always do even to this day, lesson learned. The P style gaskets don't stay on the block, so it's not correct they all leave gaskets on.

For the last 45 years of changing my own oil I always wipe the mating surface with a rag. 1. It cleans off any oil that might drip on my face. 2. cleans any grit off that might interfere with a good seal. 3. Ensures the old gasket is not stuck on the mating surface.

In 32 years of doing oil changes, this has happened to me once. I caught it because I always look at the old filter when coming off. I was shocked, but glad I do what I do.

I have been changing my own oil for 50 years or so. For the first 25 years or so just used the cheapest filter I could get,
Did not use fram. Past 25 years always used ac/delco on my chevy trucks. Got a Frontier for the past year. I did 4 oil changes on
it. Factory filter, then one wix filter then decided to try fram ultra. Changed it the other day and I ended up with a doubled gasket losing 3 quarts of oil.
I always coat my gasket and tighten to specs. Just a fluke maybe but I am going back to either wix or oem.

Not the filter's fault. So you're never going to use an Ultra again because you made an error. Guess Fram should put in a "double gasket" sensor and alarm on those Ultras, lol. ;)

Not to pile on but I agree with all the comments. Gotta check either the top of the filter on removal to make sure the gasket is still there. You've been lucky all these years.

That said, unless you are using the Fram Ultra for longer than and single OCI (between 10-20K miles total) i think its a waste of money.

I get 10K OCI from my Toyota OEM DENSOs and they look fine afterwards. I dont like to leave a oil canister full of oil in the sump when changing oil so I change it every OCI anyway but this filters are between $4-5 vs $9 for the FU. I'd have to get 2 OCIs just beo break even. and leave a can full of oil oil in the engine after the first change. Not worth it for me.

I have never seen a single study showing that running the best oil filter made, changed the lifespan of a typical everyday car or truck engine. I've seen many go over 200K miles on cheap filters and regular oil changes.

Maybe you should have someone change you oil for you, now that you are a senior citizen and have earned the right. Like One of the grown children or, maybe even a grand kid; they can climb under there like monkeys!
Hah! I often think it's time to stop doing my own maintenance every time I try and stand up after crawling under my truck!

But to the OP's point, I also left the old filter gasket on the mount once. It was in 1970 and I've never done it again. Do it once and you've learned your lesson, and in my case that lesson has served me well for 50 years And I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've found the old gasket stuck in place during those 50 years.

If every time you take a filter off, you think to yourself, "it's not fram now I should check to see if the gasket is on it", then that strategy works great. ;)

That's so funny!!!!...................... I have had 1 WIX and 1 Purolator ONE have the gasket pull out. But the last 8 years I have been using Fram Ultra's and the one before the Ultra on 3 cars with short tripping oil changes on them, with ZERO Fram gasket pull outs. Must be the operator. I LOOK every time at the filter I pull off. It is the first thing I do when I pull the oil drain tub from under the car, I grab the filter and look for a gasket in the old oil filter. It has nothing to do with being a FRAM.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back