Subaru OEM blue can leaking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have issues with the OEM Subaru filter leaking from the seal. This filter has a O ring of sorts. looks kind of triangular rather than round and only has about 1/16" crush before the metal outer can edge makes contact. It screwed on too easy in my option and the metal bottomed out before it felt tight. It did not gradually tighten like all the flat gaskets I have used, it bottomed rather abrupt. Anyway looked ok during the normal couple minute leak check but after a trip to town it is dripping very slow from the filter seal. Is it common? I just put on a XG7317 and it is not leaking. The OEM looks fine, no visible damage so it this just a fluke or??? I have a couple more but not if it's just going to leak again. I should add the rubber felt pliable as I wondered if it was old stock that had hardened.

Last edited:
I will probably old stock from E-bay. Should have known better.

A43393 is the date code and not in the recall but sure not much gasket crush, I don't even think it is a 1/16" oh well no more of those for me. Went on the SUB forum and I'm not alone, some say the black ones are ok but there are a lot of pic of the blue ones doing exactly what mine is [censored] poor design. And way after the recalled dates.

Last edited:
I've been using Subaru OEM 15208AA12A for several OCI in a Forester with 2.5L N/A ... no leaks. Maybe this was just a one-off type defect and the rest are ok?

You can look up the recall online. If any of the filters you have are part of the recall, any Subaru dealer should exchange for free. I believe a range of serial numbers were recalled.

Last edited:
Not going to waste my time on them, not worth a engine loss or fire. Ill just stay with the ultra 7317 its longer and there is plenty of room for it anyway. In fact longer works better as it gets the filter bottom down below that hose and clamp for better access. ANd the last two PL 1412 that came off it were also fine, no leaks no tears.

Last edited:
Well upon further inspection I may have found the cause. The Subaru base plate looks to be some sort of stamped plate. Not solid like my other cars. When I got the car the first non OEM oil filter was ungodly tight, Several choice words were uttered during its removal. And up until now I never used anything but filters with bigger flat or big round gaskets. What I see is a distortion in that stamped plate the size of the flat gasket. So now the OEM tiny 1/16" or less crush is not bottoming on the seal surface before the outer can hits the stamped plate where it was not pushed in. Thus robbing the necessary crush area for the OEM tiny seal. At least that's what I think I see. So I wont be running any with the tiny seal ever again.

Last edited:
Bummer, hopefully it won't get worse over time. I tend to gorilla grip my filters on too. It might not be a bad idea to find out about replacing the base plate, if its not too much hassle.

Yeah, that's just how oem subaru oil filters are. A number of other OEM's also use the "P" style gasket, as opposed to the "lathe" style gasket used in most aftermarket oil filters.

To be honest, I've actually had more leak problems with the flat lathe style gaskets than I have with oem subaru P gaskets. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever had an oil leak on my subaru with an OEM filter. I understand what you're saying though, when you tighten the filter down, it doesn't take long before the oil filter base bottoms out against the sealing surface, which on my subaru is the engine block.

I hate to reply again, but I can't edit my reply above anymore.

I cut open a 15208AA12A subaru oil filter a few years ago, and still have the pieces kickin around. So I took a few pictures of the baseplate and gasket, attached below. This way people can visualize what we're talking about if they're not familiar with the filter, I'm not sure if this filter is the exact part number that Skanky is referring to.

And here's another thread where someone else has some pictures of the same filter as well.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...RX!#Post2983500

This thread really got my attention because I switched to the Subie blue cans after seeing some leakage from the nut on my K&N filter and then reading that those didn't meet Subaru's bypass pressure spec (which I now realize probably isn't a big deal).
I am going to take a really good look at that base plate in my car when I change my oil later this week. I agree that it is not of especially solid construction, haven't noticed any issue with the Subie blue filters as of yet. I do remember the big debate about the tall blue filters vs. the squat black ones (WRX?) on the Forester owner's website, some thought that the black ones were made in Japan and of higher quality than the blue.

Use wix, correct bypass and a darn good filter.

Ebay? I am wondering if it is a factory second or even counterfeit leaking its way onto the market.

if we are talking about an EJ, check it again in a month. it could be the oil cooler hoses right above it seeping.

Last edited:
That filter in the picture from sxg6 actually looks like the gasket is a tiny bit taller and wider at the contact than the leaker. The oil cooler line is ok, however when I took that first "over tightened" filter off years ago the filter wrench caught the spring clamp and slid it back on the hose. So be aware it is right there by the filter and can be moved from the clamping location. I noticed it and put it back before I started it. I am still leak free after several hundred miles with the XG7317 so I am pretty sure it was from the filter. I doubt I will go back to the OEM blue can. I only tried them due to the higher BP but I doubt it matters much.

Last edited:
On the engine block would not be distorted and a better design in my opinion, or at least machine the plate out of solid stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back