Always check for double gaskets on install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over the last 50 years, I have probably had 5-6 gaskets stick to the filter mount. If a gasket sticks, I get a shop towel and wet it with brake cleaner and give the filter mount a good cleaning. I also check to see where the old gasket is before installing the new filter.

In defense of the OP, in over 25 years of oil changes for my vehicles the Fram Ultra is the only filter I’ve seen where the gasket separates from the filter and sticks to the engine block. I can see why the OP would be upset.
I still use them though and always inspect the filter mounting surface for dirt anyway.

In defense of the OP, in over 25 years of oil changes for my vehicles the Fram Ultra is the only filter I’ve seen where the gasket separates from the filter and sticks to the engine block. I can see why the OP would be upset.
I still use them though and always inspect the filter mounting surface for dirt anyway.
For me the Fram XG has left a couple stuck out of maybe two dozen used … It happens … keep an eye on that old filter and the seal face on engine … Still very good filters …

Mopar MO-041 SRT filter did that. Even the one I replaced it with had the gasket just lying in the groove on the base. No adherence to the base whatsoever on either filter.

I guess curiosity and OCD have kept me out of this situation for the last 35 years. I always look at the face of the filter when I take it off, just to see if anything looks peculiar. A missing gasket would definitely sound an alarm. I always clean the filter housing of all old oil. In 35 years, I've had one Fram gasket stick to it. I'm very surprised how many people I've seen on the internet that have made this mistake. My own brother, who worked as a mechanic on a funny car team years ago, made this mistake about 5 years ago. I can't even imagine just spinning an old filter off, and screwing a new one on without looking and cleaning first.

I've had the gasket remain on the filter mounting surface multiple times with FU filters. I do lubricate the gasket with clean oil but I do use a filter wrench to snug it on. I don't gorilla tighten it by any means, I simply don't have the strength to grip it and tighten it good enough anymore.

I double gasketed one years ago and ever since then I always check the filter housing and look at the filter. I believe Fram Ultra has one of the best media's right now, but I just can't get past how flimsy and thin the cans feel. There bypass valve set up looks cheap to me also. I like an oil filter to a have a coil spring and not a leaf spring. I wish one of the other filter company's would bring something to the table to closer compare with the Ultras media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back