Overtightened oil drain plug

I seem to have an overtightened, by me, drain plug. Any suggestions? Tomorrow morning I'll try the Visegrips and a hammer. Thanks

Try it with the engine nice and hot if you can get to the plug without burning yourself. Consider buying a set of a bolt extractors before gnawing the drain plug to a nub with vice grips.

Last edited:
Buy a 1/2-inch-drive 12-point socket and a 1/2-drive handle.

Oil-drain plugs are never meant to be tightened much. I don't even tighten them to the factory torque spec, as there is a gasket under them. The only times the oil-drain plug would regularly come loose were because of a hard, springy synthetic-cork-like gasket material Toyota used once, and even then, it never leaked. The older-version Toyota 90915-10003 oil-drain-plug gasket was superseded by an aluminum gasket covered with a soft gasket material.

Last edited:
If you have one, a SMALL impact and the next smaller size socket, a half size metric one hammered on if necessary, will get it out. The impacts will be less likely to strip it out/break it off (although I would have a new one handy just in case).

I seem to have an overtightened, by me, drain plug. Any suggestions? Tomorrow morning I'll try the Visegrips and a hammer. Thanks
If you have a small pipe wrench available, it will be able to get a much better grip than Visegrips due to the design of the jaws (the more torque you apply, the better the grip, regardless of the shape of the surface being gripped).

Last edited:
We've all made mistakes and I've been real stupid before. What I do now is use an INCH POUND torque wrench and 6 point American made socket on my oil drain plug. Mine is factory spec to 22 ft. lbs. I go to 240 in. lbs. (20 ft. lbs.) Call me OCD or anything you wish; I've rounded off a plug due to my own idiocy before and that wasn't a fun experience. If you can learn from my stupidity more power to you. I wish you well.

We've all made mistakes and I've been real stupid before. What I do now is use an INCH POUND torque wrench and 6 point American made socket on my oil drain plug. Mine is factory spec to 22 ft. lbs. I go to 240 in. lbs. (20 ft. lbs.) Call me OCD or anything you wish; I've rounded off a plug due to my own idiocy before and that wasn't a fun experience. If you can learn from my stupidity more power to you. I wish you well.
Experience is recognizing you've made the same mistake again.

If you're going to use a standard wrench, I'd suggest you choke up on the handle and only use a "finger grip" to tighten the plug. Then you can use a palm-grip to loosen it.

I've been comparing my seat-of-the-pants tightening approach to using a torque wrench and proper specs. My seat-of-the-pants torque (using a fingers only grip on a choked-up wrench) is still a little loose. At least it isn't too tight. I'll get there eventually.

Erwin tools makes a bolt extractor kit. I know they work really good on drain plugs that are rounded off. We had the same problem on my son's new Jeep Cherokee. Everyone told me to buy the kit however he needed the Jeep and took it to a shop the next day and I never tried the tool.

Buy a 1/2-inch-drive 12-point socket and a 1/2-drive handle.

Oil-drain plugs are never meant to be tightened much. I don't even tighten them to the factory torque spec, as there is a gasket under them. The only times the oil-drain plug would regularly come loose were because of a hard, springy synthetic-cork-like gasket material Toyota used once, and even then, it never leaked. The older-version Toyota 90915-10003 oil-drain-plug gasket was superseded by an aluminum gasket covered with a soft gasket material.
If it’s that tight or stripped I’d definitely try a 6 point socket to not farther strip the drain plug

If it is the case that you've rounded off the corners of the drain plug but not too bad, then these things:

and an impact driver of suitable size work great. You don't need to buy the whole big set, you can get smaller sets.

Works much better than vise grips and a hammer.

Some oil pans, some threads, some plugs, it happens and I don't know why. I had a CAT C-12 engine, I could install the drain plug to spec with a torque wrench and I would need the big impact driver to get it out every time.

I'm interested in seeing what this drain plug and washer look like after you get it removed, hopefully your pan survives

Seems like you'd want to remove the drain plug when it's cold . Heat = expansion :geek: . Here's a thought , apply a cold pack to the plug and area of the pan . Then try to remove .:whistle:

Last edited:
Vise Grip makes one that actually grips on three sides,goes around the nut,it will save your butt no doubt.Don't ask how I know.

Back