Oversized for 3800 II, PF-52 insted of PF-47?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This one is for the other 3800 Series II owners.
I have a 01 GP, will a PF-52 fit in place of the PF-47 I uses now?
confused.gif

You can, but the filter is really close to the subframe. Remember the engine moves in it's mounts while driving. There's really no benefit, the 52 is only 1" longer. You will never fill it up in the typical OCI, especially on a properly maintained 3800.

Been using that oversize for 10+ years.
Larger filter can improve oil flow.
I always thought it odd that GM specs the PF52 for some of its 4 cylinder engines, but the V-6 calls for the smaller PF47. Go figure.

GM used to spec the PF-52 on it's original 60*V6's, up through the 2.8/3.1 MPFI. Plenty of clearance on this design, absolutely no issues with the larger design. Then, for some reason, when the 3100 came around, they decided to switch to the PF-47. I always ran the PF-52 on my 3100.

Most annoyingly, the newest 60*V6's call for the PF-61, which sucks because they don't offer a UPF-61, whereas they do offer a UPF-52. What was wrong with the 52 GM, what?!

I'm seriously thinking about going with a PF52 for my next oil change since I've been running 6 quarts of oil in my 3.8L V6

I started using a PF-52 clone on the 4.3 in my '01 Safari company van when it was brand new. I wanted the slightly larger filter as the company will only let us get the oil changed every 5,000 miles (at Jiffy Lube...yeah, I know
smirk.gif
). 50,000 miles later and everything is still A-OK.

Thanks for all of the replys.
The jury is still out, I still have 4k+ to make up my mind.
I need to get under there and check clearances.

When you are trying to judge clearances of the frame and wiring around your oil filter, its a lot easier to see what room you have from looking up from the underside of the engine and ditto on the change.

I actually prefer the pf52 extra length as its easier to get a grip on the longer filer to remove it.

I use the PF-52 on EVERY one(3800's,3100's) of my GM fleet including
my 3800 SC Bonneville without a clearance issue, never
any problems...
cheers.gif

Ditto, I run a PF52 on the wife's GTP. And I've never had it hit the subframe. Makes it easier since I run PF52's on the Other buick in the garage.

I have been using PF-52 oil filters in my 2002 Monte Carlo SS 3.8 N/A for several years without any problems. Since the stock oil filter is mounted inside the wheel-well (for cooling?), I use the slightly longer PF-52 filter during the warmer summer months (April-October), then switch to the PF-47 in winter when there is more of a chance that road ice/snow will build up and damage the filter in snowy conditions.

I ran a P52 non e-core or the Purolator Classic equivalent on my old 93 Riviera with a series 1 3800. Lived until 250k miles, and it was the transmission that died not the motor.

The PF52 certainly fits, but I'm still wary. On cars with modded engines and stock mounts top and bottom, there is a TON of movement in that engine. The stock hydraulic lower mounts in that case aren't the most durable things in the world and can start to fail and collapse, lowering the engine in the bay. When that happens, the longer filter can come into contact with the frame.

I've seen it twice now where the longer filter hit the frame and burst, running the engine dry for a short period of time. If you go with the larger filter, I'd feel much more comfortable having a fresh solid lower mount in there, or better yet, a poly one.

Solid:
http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_prix/products1.php?id=564&catid=138

Poly:
http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_prix/products1.php?id=1101&catid=138

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back