How close is too close?

On my Ram 5.7 I’m able to fit the larger (PH2 size) filter. I can wedge it in there and it will spin on tight. However, it’s really close to two hard lines. I didn’t measure but it looked like only a couple millimeters.

When using an oversized filter, is there such a thing as the filter being too close to other components? Or as long as it doesn’t rub, it’s good?

Not able to redo the check for actual measurements for about 2 months.

I used a oversized on on my V8 Taurus SHO. It was within an inch of the front downpipe. I made a heat shield for it that was put on and off with a hose clamp. Shield was offset from the filter a bit so there was an air gap too.

oil-filter-shield-and-chain.jpg

I used a oversized on on my V8 Taurus SHO. It was within an inch of the front downpipe. I made a heat shield for it that was put on and off with a hose clamp. Shield was offset from the filter a bit so there was an air gap too.

oil-filter-shield-and-chain.jpg
Off topic, but what is the chain for?

The OEM size filter probably runs cooler due to the distance from the heat source. I would stock with the OEM.
I’ll get another PH2 next filter change and take a better look. Wasn’t thinking enough last time. I was more surprised it fit in there lol

On my Ram 5.7 I’m able to fit the larger (PH2 size) filter. I can wedge it in there and it will spin on tight. However, it’s really close to two hard lines. I didn’t measure but it looked like only a couple millimeters.

When using an oversized filter, is there such a thing as the filter being too close to other components? Or as long as it doesn’t rub, it’s good?

Not able to redo the check for actual measurements for about 2 months.
You are using HPL Oil, give Dave a call at HPL and get his opinion. It will be so much better than my opinion.

I’ve been running an oversized (FL-820s) on my 2013 Ram 1500 Hemi since I got in January. So far, so good. I’ll likely be doing my second oil change on it this weekend. I had a Lincoln Town Car, so I have a stash of seven more filters (one Motorcraft and six “Parts Plus” for it.

Is that a cooling line going to a "sandwich cooler" atop the filter?

When does a remote filter make sense?
I put a remote filter on my 2L Gen Coupe when I added a sandwich cooler from my Ford Taurus. It worked well and I could use any filter I wanted. But in the end the complicated oil and water hoses was too messy and I removed it.

Only time I had oil temp problems was out on the track and 4 laps would get me to 300F .

Back