Over 60 MPGs on PP 0w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if I told you there was no wind today?
There are so many things to factor in it's probably a combination of several things. Even with my driving routes and habits being nearly identical from one tank of gas to the next it's not at all uncommon to see 2-5 MPG variation from one tank of gas to the next with the same oil in the crankcase. The only way to get a good baseline for MPG is checking mileage over several thousand miles and tanks of gas. There are certain routes that I drive on every tank that gets much better mileage than other routes simply because of roads/traffic/terrain. The Versa on my trip to/from church (approx. 15 miles each way) is probably lucky to get 45 MPG in warm weather yet, the trip to my mom's house approximately 20 miles each way) I wouldn't be surprised to see 60+ MPG and by the way I run 15 year old 10w40 conventional. I never check short distances I always reset the Ultra Gauge at the beginning of each tank and keep a fuel log of overall mileage since I purchased the car in 2/19. Years ago I drove from Statesville, NC-Nashville, TN quite often on I-40. One section of I-40 was concrete the rest was asphalt mileage was much better on the concrete section. Another thing to consider is if you're using a factory MPG readout they're often very optimistic. My Versa has a factory MPG readout and I have a calibrated Ultra Gauge. The Ultra Gauge is usually within 1 MPG of actual mileage the factory gauge is often 5-7 MPG optimistic.

Back in the '70's I drove from Elkton, KY to Perrysburg, OH fairy often in a Buick Regal with a 5.7L 350 V8/3 speed automatic. Normally I'd get 15-16 MPG at speeds of 75-85 MPH on the interstate. One trip I filled up when I left Perrysburg and had the c/c set at 85 most of the tank. On that particular tank I got over 21 MPG and that included driving though Dayton, OH, Cincinnati, OH, and Louisville, KY on the interstate. I'd never got that mileage before and never repeated it again. I'll never will know why the great mileage on that tank of gas. Back in those days 20 MPG on a V8 was unheard of.

If you're interested you can see the fuel log for my Versa over the past 3+ years and nearly 25K miles by clicking the link in my signature.

Last edited:
All I can say for sure is that I got over 60 MPGs the last 2 days on 3 separate 17 mile trips.

I went on a 71 mile trip a year or two ago and made a post here about it, and I think I got something like 58.7 MPGs on that trip, but that wasn't with PP, it was with ST or Castrol Edge or some other oil I was running at the time. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if PP is a "more slippery" oil and I get at least a few more MPGs out of it. At any rate, I seem to love PP and I intend to keep running it, and maybe even for 12 month OCIs vs 6. PP seems like a very good match for my 1.5L engine.

I got one of my $25 rebate gift cards yesterday and I chose a Kroger's card. I also bought 2 more 5 qt jugs of PP 0w20 at Walmart for $20.17 each and picked them up at curbside. So I guess I'm going to be a PP man from now on and just buy PP for whatever price I can get it for. I will definitely feel more secure about running PP for a 12 month OCI at <5000 miles. If I now do 12 month OCIs I have enough PP to take me to the Spring of 2027.

Last edited:
Not sure if I should put a flame suit on, but on the previous OCI of Mobil 1 AN 0W-20 I once got 43.4 MPG driving back from Erie PA (roughly 70+ miles each way). But going towards Erie it was 39.x . The I-90 "Thruway" East is mostly graded downhill and the wind is more often than not at the back going northeast. This was on a "nice" March day where it as nearly 70F/21C and I was keeping it around 70 MPH both ways...

So yes environmental and geographic features play a big role in MPG. The biggest being how one drives, being conservative on the throttle makes a huge difference and I am by no means a hyper-miler...

The car is a 16 Ford Focus S 2.0L VCT gasser with a 5sp manual...

And if you've gotten 60 miles per gallon from using 0w-20 Pennzoil Platinum then I am sure that amsoil or red line 0w-20 will give even more and better as they have better material for better sealing.
HUH? Sealing of what? The rings? If true, wouldn't that increase friction and REDUCE mileage?

As to the Prius, why is over 60 MPG a surprise? My Jetta TDI got that on a 1000 mile highway drive.

184MPG.jpg

I hate to burst your bubble but the general consensus is to get an average overall MPG that they suggest 100 miles of driving. If you're getting better gas mileage it could be from using a thinner oil or a lot of tailwind pushing you along. Again you're going to need a get around a hundred miles of driving and then that will give you a true or at least better accurate number on your miles per gallon
Needless to say too, I myself don't trust the cluster mpg reading, they can be wildly decieving.

OP- these guys are just flaming you because it wasn't done with their holy grail oil Mobil 1... ;)

I love the Pennzoil syns and find them to be MUCH quieter and perform better in every vehicle I put it in vs M1. I also notice better MPG's when using it even over an entire OCI and not just short trips like you've done.

I also notice better MPG's when using it even over an entire OCI and not just short trips like you've done.
So you're able to control all of this in everyday driving so you can positively attribute an observed MPG change to one isolated variable?
  • Tire pressure
  • Tire alignment
  • Engine temperature
  • Acceleration/braking pattern
  • Percent short trips
  • Idling time
  • Gasoline BTU variations
  • Engine condition/maintenance
  • Road type & conditions
  • Aerodynamic drag
  • Air conditioning usage
  • Seasonal gas formulations
  • Air temperature
  • Air humidity
  • Gasoline temperature
  • Tire type
  • Consistency of fill
  • Altitude changes
  • Vehicle weight
  • Computer MPG accuracy
  • Octane rating/accuracy
  • Hilly terrain
  • Air filter condition
  • Traffic jams

So you're able to control all of this in everyday driving so you can positively attribute an observed MPG change to one isolated variable?
  • Tire pressure
  • Tire alignment
  • Engine temperature
  • Acceleration/braking pattern
  • Percent short trips
  • Idling time
  • Gasoline BTU variations
  • Engine condition/maintenance
  • Road type & conditions
  • Aerodynamic drag
  • Air conditioning usage
  • Seasonal gas formulations
  • Air temperature
  • Air humidity
  • Gasoline temperature
  • Tire type
  • Consistency of fill
  • Altitude changes
  • Vehicle weight
  • Computer MPG accuracy
  • Octane rating/accuracy
  • Hilly terrain
  • Air filter condition
  • Traffic jams
Yes sir, each and every variable is controlled on my work commute. Florida is a very stable climate ;)

About as believable as the MPG ratings from manufacturers on new cars huh...

They say the biggest improvement you can get on miles per gallon never come usually from oil but from the transmission. In most cars the most to be gained comes from using top quality aftermarket or boutique transmission fluids. Most power and energy is lost at the flywheel

My instant fuel economy meter said that I was getting 99.9 MPG when I was coasting downhill one day and none of you will ever beat that! 👑
Don’t leave us in suspense: which oil and filter were you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back