Over 60 MPGs on PP 0w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed my oil to PP 0w20 last Friday (from ST FS 0w20) and I seem to be getting more MPGs.
The warmer weather here also helps with that but I don't remember ever getting over 60 MPGs consistently.

Drove 17 miles yesterday : 63.3 MPGs
Drove two 17 mile trips today, over 60 MPGs each way.

But whatever, I love how the PP makes my engine purr so smoothly.

I hate to burst your bubble but the general consensus is to get an average overall MPG that they suggest 100 miles of driving. If you're getting better gas mileage it could be from using a thinner oil or a lot of tailwind pushing you along. Again you're going to need a get around a hundred miles of driving and then that will give you a true or at least better accurate number on your miles per gallon

I know I'm on your ignore list, but to attribute any sort of fuel economy change to a different brand of the same grade oil is ludicrous. One can measure things all day long but to try and ascribe them to one isolated variable in everyday driving is utterly impossible. Here is a post from someone who knows what he's talking about, his post was about gasoline brand but the items he lists are identical to this situation.

Physics matters.

This whole thread is full of fiction.

And if you've gotten 60 miles per gallon from using 0w-20 Pennzoil Platinum then I am sure that amsoil or red line 0w-20 will give even more and better as they have better material for better sealing.

Better material for better sealing? This sounds more like a description of roofing tar instead of motor oil.

I hate to burst your bubble but the general consensus is to get an average overall MPG that they suggest 100 miles of driving.

I hate to burst your bubble but I know my car well enough to know that I'm getting higher MPGs on this oil.

My car feels a bit more responsive off the line also.

Last edited:
Reactions: FZ1
If you're getting better gas mileage it could be from using a thinner oil or a lot of tailwind pushing you along.
LOL. You're too funny about the tailwind.
I already told you my previous fill of oil was the same weight oil, 0w20.

Last edited:
LOL. You're too funny about the tailwind.
I already told you my previous fill of oil was the same weight oil, 0w20.
If you don't think a tailwind makes a big difference hook up a Scan Gauge, Ultra Gauge or similar device and see it for yourself. My Versa instant MPG readout will vary by several MPG on the same stretch of road at the same speed depending on whether I have a tailwind, headwind or crosswind. Speed, warm/cold temperatures and wet/dry roads will also make a huge difference.

How do you drive 17 miles and accurately assess you got 63 mpg? I don’t even understand how this was calculated with such a negligible amount of travel

Toyota hybrids tell you the mileage you got at the end of each trip when you turn the key off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back