Ouch! Toyota recalling 1.8M vehicles for faulty fuel pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toyota recall

Toyota is adding 1.1 million vehicles to a recall involving faulty fuel pumps, bringing the total to approximately 1.8 million.

According to Toyota, the pumps can fail and cause the engine to hesitate or stall while the vehicle is in motion, increasing the risk of an accident.

The 2019 Tacoma is among the affected models.

The automaker has not said if it knows of any accidents or injuries related to the issue.

The issue affects a range of Toyota and Lexus cars and trucks across the 2013-2019 model years.

Toyota is advising owners that the problem is accompanied by warning lights on the dashboard, but has not recommended that they stop driving the vehicles until the repair work is completed.

Toyota will be notifying owners of affected examples of the following models by May:

2013-2014 Lexus GS 350

2013-2015 Lexus LS 460;

2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser, Lexus IS-F

2014-2015 Toyota 4Runner, Land Cruiser; Lexus GX 460, IS 350, LX 570;

2015 Lexus NX 200t, RC 350

2017 Lexus IS 200t, RC 200t

2017-2019 Toyota Sienna; Lexus RX 350

2018 Lexus GS 300

2018-2019 Toyota Avalon, Camry, Corolla, Highlander, Sequoia, Tacoma, Tundra; Lexus ES 350, GS 350, IS 300, IS 350, LC 500, LC 500h, LS 500, LS 500h, RC 300, RC 350, RX 350L, LX 570, GX 460, RX 350

2019 Toyota 4Runner, Land Cruiser, Sienna; Lexus NX 300, RX 350L, GX 300

Well the car pumps look easy to swap....
& the SUVs look far less fun to deal with.
Perhaps the dealer can ask those to come in with 1/5 tank or less? : )

Why is that ouch? You should change the title to Thank you Toyota.

Originally Posted by Trav
No big deal, they are owning the problem and taking care of it.

Quoted for Truth! I guess I'm a GM guy....But they had some failure prone fuel pumps for years & years without a recall. I loved the change to Delphi GT-150 series connectors from the standard 150 series
smirk2.gif

Where they should have produced an overlay harness with 12 gauge wiring.

Originally Posted by wdn

Because if it was literally any other manufacturer people would be saying "Yep, see everyone! They're garbage! I TOLD YOU SO!"

Good on them for acknowledging the issue and dealing with it, I have a lot of respect for Toyotas honesty cmopared to some of the other brands we have seen that like to ignore problems or pretend they dont exist. Good work Toyota!

Toyota UK had takata airbags on back-order for upto 8 months for some models - lets hope they can source replacement fuel pumps more quickly! For those that need their vehicle and cannot affod to brake down with a faulty fuel pump that cannot be replaced due to availability, the Bosch 044 pump is the correct choice for a durable, dependable replacement that is widely available at a reasonable price. Aeromotive make nice items too but can be a bit 'spendy', maybe OTT for a traffic/commuter car.

Every car I own has had a faulty fuel pump. My truck even stalled on the road while it was in motion. Lol.

Looks like my moms 4Runner is on the list. One more thing to mess with.. Darn.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by wdn

Because if it was literally any other manufacturer people would be saying "Yep, see everyone! They're garbage! I TOLD YOU SO!"

Maybe the Italian manufacturer's product line has quality issues that are a sore point? I sense pain here. We're here for you.

Originally Posted by wdn
Originally Posted by wdn

Maybe the Italian manufacturer's product line has quality issues that are a sore point? I sense pain here. We're here for you.

I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of some people
21.gif

But hey, if it helps prove your point, the only "issue" I have had is a CEL on the 300 because I pulled the ABS fuses to do donuts in my driveway.

...Because if it was literally any other manufacturer people would be saying "Yep, see everyone! They're garbage! I TOLD YOU SO!"
I'd say in my observation of similar recall threads there's more than a grain of truth to that. That would include but not limited to a/the leading competitor Asian vehicle manufacturer.

As for topic, [censored] happens. They're recalling the vehicles and hopefully that fixes the issue. I say that because I owned vehicle from another Asian vehicle maker (w French connections) that got recalled too. Recall completely bogus, defective part failed anyway rendering engine terminal. But I digress. If recall fixes issue, ultimately a good thing. My .02

Originally Posted by Bjornviken
never had a faulty fuel pump in my cars

1979 Dodge PowerWagon … mechanical fuel pump when truck was 12 years old.
Easy fix … replaced with electric pump (not in the fuel tank).
End of list.

Most modern fuel pumps do the work problem free.
Think Toyota will be after some recovery from suppliers.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Every car I own has had a faulty fuel pump. My truck even stalled on the road while it was in motion. Lol.

I have a friend who likes to run his gas right down to the "E" mark before filling up. Besides running out of gas on occasion, he also has to replace fuel pumps on every car he owns. When the fuel level drops below the level of the fuel pump motor it can't cool the motor and results in premature pump failure. I keep telling him this but he won't listen.

My parents had an '87 Astrovan that ate a fuel pump w/in warranty I think (back then it was what, 2yr/24k, or maybe it was 3yr/36k?). It was in short order. It then did 200k+ on the replacement pump.

The wife and I routinely run down to E on our tanks. I did have one fail, but it was a VW, so does that count?
lol.gif
To its credit, it was around 255k, and the model was known for that failure mode, so I don't think it counts.

IMO the bit about "you shouldn't run to E" is model specific and may not be a problem anymore.

Originally Posted by jhs914
Originally Posted by dlundblad

I have a friend who likes to run his gas right down to the "E" mark before filling up. Besides running out of gas on occasion, he also has to replace fuel pumps on every car he owns. When the fuel level drops below the level of the fuel pump motor it can't cool the motor and results in premature pump failure. I keep telling him this but he won't listen.

My wife and I are half full and half empty folks on gas. I fill on a quarter but to her that's past empty

Originally Posted by wdn

A recall hath issued forth from thy Almighty Toyota, and the flock duly falls to knee and renders Faithful Adoration to their Holy Manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back