Operating period and service life in oil: October 2017 - May 2018;
Temperature regime: 23 ºF ~ 95 ºF;
Fuel: Gasoline, predominantly a mixt of Costco 87 and 93 or QT and Mobil 89;
Modes: 70% city, 30% highway;
Oil filter: Bosch Premium 3323;
Air filter: Original;
The volume of oil to be filled: 156,6 fl.oz;
Oil extraction: Through a drain plug to a clean plastic container of 100 ml;
What was before this oil: Valvoline VV916 ~ 10k to 15k miles and Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20 ~ 15k to 20k miles;
Flushing with washing oil: Not used - after purging there remains an indelible residue in the engine.
P.S. Around Atlanta GA.

Looks like it had another 3,000 miles left in it when drained, based on remaining TBN being 3.1. If it was 1 or 2, it would be at the end of an acid buffer reserve.
Iron (Fe) at 14 ppm might be about normal for this engine. This varies greatly depending on the engine type and brand. One other QR25DE UOA had about the same iron/mile build-up.
Sodium might seem too high, but thats from the leftover Valvoline that was in there before, so no problem there.

Try NOT to use Bosch oil filters. Also Purolator, Motorcraft oil filters are considered bad. All those prone to tearing holes in the filter media.
Go with Fram Ultra as the number one choice, followed by Mobil1 oil filters as the 2nd choice if you can't find a Fram Ultra.
An Ultra filters the best and is made very well.
Also Wix and NAPA Gold oil filters have a decent reputation, if a walmart or amazon Ultra can't be found.

If you want to research bad oil filter behavior:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3360799/all/List_of_Purolator_failures
http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/bosch-purolator-oil-filter-failure.44117/
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oVZjE_Cmf59Bs5nSF9p4sMBhJaJ3X3Dey7u1asadJ4o/edit#gid=0

No problems seen in this UOA. Viscosity was hanging in there, although it did lose a little. Not excessive. A KV100=6 or less would be bad here.
Silicon is a bit high. You could check the seal around the air filter for any leaks letting Si in. Nothing serious here.

Last edited:
That silicon number is barely high really. I said it was a bit high, On 2nd thought, I doubt if there is any problem with the air path (leaks). Around 15 ppm is considered more normal, so your 23 ppm is within the margin of error and/or negligible difference.

Judging by how reduced the boron in this sample (in fresh oil about 190 ppm), it can be assumed that it is not for nothing that local dealers have been introduced to change oil three thousand miles.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
That silicon number is barely high really. I said it was a bit high, On 2nd thought, I doubt if there is any problem with the air path (leaks). Around 15 ppm is considered more normal, so your 23 ppm is within the margin of error and/or negligible difference.

This air filter is three years old or at least 30k miles - replaced on WIX WA10215.

Ecology here is good - there is no smog, there is no dust, the rains are clean. However, pollen from plants (around the forest) in the spring, like snow in winter - in some places flakes.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Merovingian
Judging by how reduced the boron in this sample (in fresh oil about 190 ppm), it can be assumed that it is not for nothing that local dealers have been introduced to change oil three thousand miles.

Are you saying the boron is somehow consumed in the oil over time?

No doubt this is good oil I used it in my 98 f-150. I believe kendall/phillips 66 supplies Motorcraft and Honda factory fill.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Exactly.

Exactly.

Well you're going to have to explain that one to me. How does an element get depleted in an oil?

Exactly.

Well you're going to have to explain that one to me. How does an element get depleted in an oil?

I know the answer. However, I asked the question of ALS Tribology, in order not to arrange idle reasoning - I will publish the official response of this glorious laboratory.
smile.gif

I know the answer. However, I asked the question of ALS Tribology, in order not to arrange idle reasoning - I will publish the official response of this glorious laboratory.
smile.gif

If you know the answer then it won't be idle reasoning.

This air filter is three years old or at least 30k miles - replaced on WIX WA10215.

Ecology here is good - there is no smog, there is no dust, the rains are clean. However, pollen from plants (around the forest) in the spring, like snow in winter - in some places flakes.
smile.gif

Actually, older air filters will filter better than new ones. It has something to do with the "lint cake" that builds up on the dirty side of the air filter as it ages. After a while the pressure drop is excessive, so it clogs and needs replacing. Much of your silicon in the oil was from normal Anti-Foam additives, not from sandy dirt getting in. Not a problem with your engine.

Merovingian, on the subject of the boron ppm amount, Kendall GT-1 full-syn 5w30 previously was known to have over 200 ppm, and the 5w20 syn-blend one had about 180 ppm. It could be the full-syn Kendall 5w20 you have is just not formulated with a lot of boron to start with. I've not seen a VOA of your oil so I can't be sure. Boron and other elements that show up on a UOA don't usually flash off the cylinder walls or go out the PCV system at any higher rates than all else, keeping the PPM about the same for an entire oil change interval.

Merovingian, on the subject of the boron ppm amount, Kendall GT-1 full-syn 5w30 previously was known to have over 200 ppm, and the 5w20 syn-blend one had about 180 ppm. It could be the full-syn Kendall 5w20 you have is just not formulated with a lot of boron to start with. I've not seen a VOA of your oil so I can't be sure. Boron and other elements that show up on a UOA don't usually flash off the cylinder walls or go out the PCV system at any higher rates than all else, keeping the PPM about the same for an entire oil change interval.

Correct, there is a way it could disappear from the assay but not by distillation. Very few metal or metalloid compounds carry over in a distillation.

smile.gif

If you know the answer then it won't be idle reasoning.

Reincarnation.

I've not seen a VOA of your oil so I can't be sure.

UOA Kendall GT-1 Max 0W-20 - Such an additive content of this oil from the end of 2014, that is, the same additive package as the semi-synthetic variant.

That link you gave is for the 0w20 version, not your 5w20. Formulating a 5w20 uses thicker base oil than a 0w20, and less VII chemicals too, which could reduce the need to put in as much boron.

I've not seen a VOA of your oil so I can't be sure.

UOA Kendall GT-1 Max 0W-20 - Such an additive content of this oil from the end of 2014, that is, the same additive package as the semi-synthetic variant.

That link you gave is for the 0w20 version, not your 5w20. Formulating a 5w20 uses thicker base oil than a 0w20, and less VII chemicals too, which could reduce the need to put in as much boron.

The additive package is used the same for the entire series, as a rule.
The use of base oils in 5W-20 is more intense than in 0W-20 does not affect the used additive package - the additive package is the same in composition from 0W-20 to 10W-30 inclusive, in this series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back