Other than wasting time/money - what drawbacks are there to 3k syn OCIs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Used to fancy performing 3k OCIS with PUP/M1 5-20. While I have increased my knowledge of crankcase lubrication, I do wonder... are there any serious drawbacks outside of wasting oil, money and being made fun of here?

Ethanol is being forced on us, low additive oil formulations are also being forced on us, complicated engines sensitive to lubrication are being forced upon us, if you ask me going with a shorter oil change interval is a better strategy then ever before. Keep the oil in your crankcase strong, limit the effects of shear that happens in a good amount at 3k miles with many oils.

There was some study that slightly longer (not crazy long) OCIs returned the best UOAs in terms of wear metals to miles. Someone will link it shortly I'm sure!

It sounds silly but I'd say the more often you change your oil the more often you might make a mistake or get a defective filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dogememe

It sounds silly but I'd say the more often you change your oil the more often you might make a mistake or get a defective filter.

Or strip the threads in the oil pan plug hole

There was some study that slightly longer (not crazy long) OCIs returned the best UOAs in terms of wear metals to miles. Someone will link it shortly I'm sure!

I agree, increase your odds of a mistake, both with the oil change and however you lift the car up. Not worth the trouble. For some, doubling the distance to 6k would still be too soon.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Or strip the threads in the oil pan plug hole
Zero probability of that particular disaster during competent DIY, but a variety of other mistakes and accidents are certainly more likely with overly frequent changes.

The last time I changed oil, my Craftsman 14-mm socket vanished.

Last edited:
Every time you do a 3k OCI, a kitten AND a bunny rabbit dies, along with an endangered earthworm in outer Mongolia.

Nope, no problems at all, if it floats your boat.

If you really want to do them "safely" per the worries in this thread, extract the oil up the dipstick, leaving a quart in, and leave the filter for a manufacturer's length normal service interval.

I think oil is like homemade soup. it usually tastes better after sitting in the fridge for a few days.
shocked2.gif

like oil, you shouldn't mix different soups cuz the taste of the mixture may not meet the customer (family) expectation!
crazy2.gif

like dogememe said, I recall reading that it takes a while for some additives to activate and everything to kind of settle and work together ... so best is not to change too early. However, Shannow didn't say anything regarding that. idk

Originally Posted by OilUzer
I recall reading that it takes a while for some additives to activate and everything to kind of settle and work together ... so best is not to change too early. However, Shannow didn't say anything regarding that. idk

The additives take a while to establish tribofilms on bare metal surfaces.

However, I've seen nothing that offers that the tribofilm is removed at oil change time...completely, it may be partially.

Multiplicity of "activation" energies (probably wrong word) mean that various species make a better film...used oil does that (at the expense of other properties)...expensive is various metals and their dithios etc.

So...
For some "activated" additive...leave a quart in the sump
For avoidance of exposure to failed filters...leave the filter on for a normal OCI
For avoidance of sump plug trauma...suck it out the dipstick, leaving the quart of used, "activated" oil in the sump.

Honestly, per the spacebears study, taking a quart out regularly and on time filter changes, a perpetual regime can exist.
Doing the reverse and draining all but a quart out every 3,000 miles is another way of doing it differently

I recall tribofilm discussions, however I thought additive activation was another delayed chemical reaction/event and unrelated to tribofilm.
Thanks

The most common failure I recall seeing is a filter tear. Less miles equals less time for the filter to tear, imo. Also, if you do get a defective filter, it is on the car for less time.

When we had the discussion regarding longer oci being better, i inquired the validity of this with M1, Pennzoil and Valvoline, through their tech line. According to them, there is no disadvantage whatsoever to severe service (less than 5000 mile) oci, none.

Originally Posted by wemay
When we had the discussion regarding longer oci being better, i inquired the validity of this with M1, Pennzoil and Valvoline, through their tech line. According to them, there is no disadvantage whatsoever to severe service (less than 5000 mile) oci, none.
That's

That could be true but there maybe some conflict of interest situation in this case
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by PantherFan88
Used to fancy performing 3k OCIS with PUP/M1 5-20. While I have increased my knowledge of crankcase lubrication, I do wonder... are there any serious drawbacks outside of wasting oil, money and being made fun of here?

Waste of a fossil fuel!!

If wasting money and resources isn't an issue for you, then have at it. I'm confident the oil manufacturers have no problem with you buying their oil more often necessary. $$$$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back