O'Reilly's MicrgoGard MSL57712 (not cut open)

I'm trying out a MicroGard MSL57712 for the Subaru's next oil change. This appears to be an incredibly well-built filter. It is made in Vietnam and the baseplate is protected with sealed plastic. This appears to be a very application specific filter (for Subaru) and I think a great alternative while SOA sorts out their oil filter supply chain issue. It's presently included in an oil/filter combo deal at O'Reilly's in my area.

Filter specs here: https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...ect-oil-filter/mgd5/msl57712?q=msl57712&pos=0

In the Q&A section someone asked about the bypass pressure relief setting and an O'Reilly's representative answered 23.2psi.

IMG_8503.jpeg
IMG_8504.jpeg
IMG_8505.jpeg
IMG_8506.jpeg
IMG_8507.jpeg
IMG_8509.jpeg
IMG_8511.jpeg

These are supposed to be the best consumer grade oil filters money can buy now?

Either way you look at it, that is one well-constructed filter. One of seemingly few options that still has punched holes in the center tube instead of louvers. No guesswork, they're either open or they're not.

Really then why isn't it 99.7% efficiency at 20 microns and $8 and change per filter. The brown stuff just keeps getting shoveled!
I should have phrased the question better as in, are these the best? If not who sets the standard?

I'm trying out a MicroGard MSL57712 for the Subaru's next oil change. This appears to be an incredibly well-built filter. It is made in Vietnam and the baseplate is protected with sealed plastic. This appears to be a very application specific filter (for Subaru) and I think a great alternative while SOA sorts out their oil filter supply chain issue. It's presently included in an oil/filter combo deal at O'Reilly's in my area.

That is a Premium Guard filter.. They also make the Ecogard very nice filters.

The real question is why isn't it right on the box?
Because the boxes are generic other than the unique p/n they put on them (and the UPC). The box is for "appearance" and marketing, not technical specs. 🙄 Go to O'Reillys and I assure you, multiple filters will use the same basic box (based on fit / size).

Notice the "Made in Vietnam" is in a different color and font as well ? That has to change based on COO.

I should have phrased the question better as in, are these the best? If not who sets the standard?
I'm a fairly big fan of Royal Purple, Amsoil EaO, and Donaldson Blue & Fleetguard Stratapore (if they are available for the application). I set my own standard, but others can disagree!! :unsure: Other than the price, the Microguard Selects seem like a pretty good filter, they have come with other companies' names on them (AFAIK Federated and Auto Zone have both used them).

Other than the price, the Microguard Selects seem like a pretty good filter
I use them on my wife's car and they seem fine. 1-2 other brands I've used (WIX is one I remember) was noisy on start-up each time and happened with two different filters so I quit buying them. Motorcraft, Fram TG, and these Microguard Select have been fine and I get them with a 5-quart oil in a bundle - cost is $32-33. I know I can get oil and a filter (my preferred ones) at Walmart but it's only ~$5 cheaper.

If these filters (MicroGard Select) are truly 99% at 25 microns, I can't see why these would not be one of the best filters on the market.

• The paint is excellent and has some grip to the texture.
  • They seal the end with a plastic cover.
  • Silicon baseplate O-ring.
  • Baseplate seems solid, mine seems as thick as the M1 I have for the same application.
  • Silicon anti-drain back valve.
  • The media (blend) is very even, metal crimp and glued with care.
  • 99% efficiency. (Laboratory Test Performance per ISO 4548-12 at 25 microns)
  • Center core is metal with circular holes. Caps are metal.
  • Bypass located in metal end cap.
  • Coils spring for constant pressure.
  • Can decently thick in gauge.
I have one ready to install on my Titan.

Thanks Whip City Wrencher!

Back