"Optimal" Tire Rotation = 1/4 of Expected Life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure I agree. I'm not seeing how that is bad, to have a tire that "sees" a disproportionate amount of time at one corner. If the goal is to rotate before an appreciable amount of difference in wear occurs, then does it matter if one tire "saw" more time at one corner than the rest? As long as all four wear evenly and (hopefully) go to tread warranty, does it really matter?

From what I can tell, I do 6 to 8 rotations on a set of tires, and generally get nice even wear. Then again, I guess I don't give them a chance to wear badly--but that was my goal in the first place. If I replace a set after six rotations, it's because they are worn out--but all four look the same.

Unless you buy the same brand and model tire each time; and the manufacturer doesn't change the design of that model, you can't predict the life well enough to know how many time you'll rotate them.
It's too much to think about. I just rotate every 5000 miles
So what if they get 7 rotations, or 10?

I stopped bothering with tire rotation. Was a fan for 100.000 miles. The time and hassle is not worth the tread benefit. My free time is more important than it used to be.

Originally Posted By: Panos
I stopped bothering with tire rotation. Was a fan for 100.000 miles. The time and hassle is not worth the tread benefit. My free time is more important than it used to be.

I am totally on board with that - EXCEPT:

There is a risk that you may develop irregular wear that could have been prevented. That could cost you at least a pair of tires. On the other hand, if you pay attention to your tires, you can minimize the loss.

Plus, FWD cars wear the front tires out at a much faster rate than the rears. If you adapt the posture that you will only change tires when they are worn out - and that means in pairs - then you will always be at a lower state of safety (in that the traction available for the entire vehicle is governed by the worst tire.)

I rotate when the tread difference is ~ 2/32 and that seems to occur on my FWD vehicles at ~ 8,000 miles. Doing it by wear rather than mileage it minimizes my down time and I still get good equal wear. Ed

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back