Opportunity to buy a GM 5.3 without AFM

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
absolute win!.jpg

At 52k (PT warranty to 60k) I just plugged in a Range unit for the L83 based Tahoe. We made a road trip 75 miles each way … moderate hills and a few overpasses … So much nicer without the back and forth that’s been going on around 70 mph and wind dependent in that big box … Best $200 I spent in a while 😷

A3356250-ADB6-449B-8D1C-390A3DB73FA6.jpeg

Is this confirmed? Because that was my question.

Unconfirmed. The language used by GM is vague whether it doesn't have the chip or all of the other mechanical stuff.

Unconfirmed. The language used by GM is vague whether it doesn't have the chip or all of the other mechanical stuff.

Incorrekt

According to GM:

• Internal components related to AFM or DFM function will be present in engines; wiring, connectors, and fuses will be present in vehicles with RPO YK9. The ECM will not be capable of activating the cylinder deactivation technology.
  • When diagnosing and repairing concerns with base engine or electrical function which may be related to AFM or DFM related hardware; utilize appropriate diagnostics within SI and replace any needed components as directed by the Electronic Parts Catalog; no changes will occur to AFM or DFM related components.
  • Important: Any truck designated with RPO YK9 CANNOT be reprogrammed and changed to “Turn on” the AFM/DFM functionality

Good to know, all of the extra parts are in there just not turning on and off. Does this make a difference for possible failure in the future? Conservative OCIs and good oil still mandatory.
Talked to an annuitant yesterday who has 120k on a 2016 (5.3L) 1500 4WD … has been a perfect truck.
Still suggested he put in the Range. As for the hardware … it’s heavier … but the pins that fail no longer cycle.

Back