Opinions wanted on A6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kira
I gotta chime in. I posted about a neighbor's 2001 Audi A4 with the 3.0l V-6 a while back

Just a quick FYI, but a 2001 A4 had a 2.8 V6 engine. If it had a 3.0, then it was a 2002 or later.

The other available engine in 2001 was a 1.8T.

The newer ones do seem to hold up a bit better. I drove a 2014 A4 with the 2.0T and was pretty impressed.

German vs. Japanese really seems to depend on what you are looking for in a car. With the recent complexity of Japanese cars, they are actually starting to trend downward in reliability. Not huge plunge across the board or anything, but downward from where they were.

Japanese cars seem more forgiving of mechanical neglect, but over time they seem to fall apart. Suspension bits, interior trim, rust, etc. The German cars require more maintenance, but years later the interior and suspension usually feels pretty good. My GF's BMW 325xi is 11 years old and has no rattles, squeaks, or rust. It is a tank and still drives extremely well. To some people, that matters. Others just care about how long they can drive from A to B without spending money on maintenance, it all depends on the driver.

Personally, if you enjoy driving and can be aware of some additional maintenance items that might pop up, the German cars can be well worth it.

I always hear people say "if you take care of them, they will last". But it seems a lot of the problems on German cars have nothing to do with maintaining them, just random failures. I'll list out some of the repairs my 2004 VW had and then my aunt's 2013 VW had, none of them have anything to do with maintenance.

Seat belt sensors, airbag sensors, door position sensors, turbo actuator sensor, dual mass flywheel replacement, instrument cluster failure, power windows falling off the tracks, A/C compressor failure, low mileage sway bar bushings bad, alternator pulley, defective center console.

Then there's the things like a worn out camshaft and a failing transmission, but those were maintained by the book so...

Originally Posted By: Kage860
That 2012 looks really good, that's pretty much what I had in mind. I'd be looking for one of those with the 3.0t engine. I've been doing some reading and actually that model may be pretty reliable believe it or not. Consumer Reports says Audi is better than average for reliability now. The Audi forums says biggest problems is fuel pump failing, some reports of oil consumption, and thermostat replacement is a 6 hour job, otherwise pretty solid. Compared to Jeep, less room in engine bay, Audi requires bumper removal for many services, and parts cost is roughly double. All in all might be worth a look when the time comes.

I did take a look at jeep grand cherokees and those do look good too. Right now with a growing family my wife and I are thinking she gets a three row suv next, which means I could potentially get a sedan for commuting. I'll hold off until another promotion or whatnot down the line and this will give me something to look forward to.

I just traded my 2012 Premium Plus Audi A6 3.0T that I put 55,000 original miles on it. I can honestly say that it was by far the best car I have owned. It consistently gave me great mileage(I did a few trips to Jersey and back and I would easily get 30+ mpg)and the only issue I had with the car was that I was burning 1 quart of oil every 3000 miles. Seems like I was just unlucky about oil consumption as most people on Audizine or Audiworld rarely had consumption issues. Other than that the car was rock solid and never once did I have to bring it in for any warranty work. The thermostat never failed either which is the number 1 issue with these cars as its just time before it goes. Reading the forums very rarely did I read the fuel pump failing so I am not sure if that is a very big concern but I did receive something in mail about performing a recall on the fuel rail lines which you should make sure was done if you do buy the car. IMO, buy the car. You'll have a huge smile on your face everyday!

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I always hear people say "if you take care of them, they will last". But it seems a lot of the problems on German cars have nothing to do with maintaining them, just random failures. I'll list out some of the repairs my 2004 VW had and then my aunt's 2013 VW had, none of them have anything to do with maintenance.

Seat belt sensors, airbag sensors, door position sensors, turbo actuator sensor, dual mass flywheel replacement, instrument cluster failure, power windows falling off the tracks, A/C compressor failure, low mileage sway bar bushings bad, alternator pulley, defective center console.

Then there's the things like a worn out camshaft and a failing transmission, but those were maintained by the book so...

That sort of thing is not exclusive to German cars, There are/were some very problematic US and Japanese models and years.
I could make you a long list of no non maintenance related failures on a host of non German cars.

BTW You say maintained by the book, but by whom uncle tom with salad forks and kitchen utensils.
I have seen a lot of cars maintained "by the book" and don't need to wonder why the whole cars is failing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

That sort of thing is not exclusive to German cars, There are/were some very problematic US and Japanese models and years.
I could make you a long list of no non maintenance related failures on a host of non German cars.

BTW You say maintained by the book, but by whom uncle tom with salad forks and kitchen utensils.
I have seen a lot of cars maintained "by the book" and don't need to wonder why the whole cars is failing.
Oh yeah it's not just limited to German cars for sure, it's my opinion that they're a lot more likely to have those issues though, but I still don't see where people say if you take care of a car it shouldn't have any issues. You can't prevent airbag sensors and instrument clusters and alternator pulleys from failing. Even as much as someone may love a car and polish and wax it every week and change the oil every 3,000 miles. That sort of stuff failing is ridiculous.

I don't disagree but A lot of the VW issues were out of the Mexico plant, they seem to be much improved. Many of the switches, window regulators, interior panels, instrument panel, etc are also made there. The A6 on the other hand is produced in Neckarsulm with higher quality bits and pieces.

A friend of mine has a '13 S4 which I believe has a version of the same engine. He's had very good luck with it so far but he noted that maintenance costs are higher than the Acura he traded and I think he's not planning on getting 100k+ out of it like he did his Acura (maybe that's changed now that he has a better sense of it).

Go to the youtube, and look up some of the routine maintenance that needs to be done on the specific model that you are interested in. After watching the video, if you go "they must be kidding!" then you don't buy the car. If you say "that is not bad", then go for it.

Also try to not worry about half the front end lying on the ground while replacing say fan belt. I have been told that an experienced mechanic can strip the Audi front end in less than four hours.

Last edited:
At work, there's basically the same A6 as the picture, then one day someone parked their new 2015 Chrysler 200 beside it in a similar color.
If I put my brand blinders on, the 200 made the A6 look pretty awkward and boring IMO...
Is the 200 put together as well as an A6? I don't know, but I doubt you have to take the front bumper off to change the accessory belt either.
I think it would be interesting to drive them back to back anyways, and a 200C is supposed to be quite nice in side.

I don't like them. I would hardly ever consider buying an Audi. However my friend's dad had an old 1999 A6 1.8 and car was sold with over 550K km without MANY problems. Now his on a second (2009?) 2.7 tdi, now at 350K.

Friend also bought himself a 2017 A4 2.0 tdi-190 DSG. Have to admit it looks gorgeous.

While we're on the topic of praising VAG, is there any other vehicles that are reliable?
Personally I'm very drawn to the Passat and CC lineup, especially when equipped with the (rare) V6 engine.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Go to the youtube, and look up some of the routine maintenance that needs to be done on the specific model that you are interested in. After watching the video, if you go "they must be kidding!" then you don't buy the car. If you say "that is not bad", then go for it.

Also try to not worry about half the front end lying on the ground while replacing say fan belt. I have been told that an experienced mechanic can strip the Audi front end in less than four hours.

I can agree with this.

When looking at late model Volvo S80 sedans, I researched a simple oil change. To my amazement the amount of nonsense involved was enough to persuade me away from one.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
When looking at late model Volvo S80 sedans, I researched a simple oil change. To my amazement the amount of nonsense involved was enough to persuade me away from one.

Looks like you vacuum the oil, change the oil filter and then refill without the need to raise the vehicle. A clean process that you can do while wearing a tuxedo.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
@IndyLan, I doubt you can seriously compare a Chrysler 200 and an A6.

Maybe, the reviewers love the pentastar and 9 spd when in sport mode, but perhaps the 200 falls away when comparing ride and interior quality?
For my money I'd get the 200 everytime as you can get a loaded V6 2015 with 20k miles, for $14-15k. A V6 A6 is twice as much money and doesn't much if any factory warranty left. Both are available with AWD too.
Anyways, mostly I found it interesting that the 200 looked similar, but showed up the A6 pretty badly, IMO, when just seeing them in the parking lot. The drivetrains are both quite good, and the up level 200 interior is no penalty box, and both brands don't have the greatest reliability reputation.
It isn't 1992 anymore either, the Detroit 3 are making pretty decent chassis and drivetrains in their midsize cars, so how much better can the germans be? And is it worth the price tag?
Personally I'm drooling over the used ATS, as its got a world class rwd chassis, with standard GM drivetrains which aren't too scary in maintenance or repairs.

Looks like you vacuum the oil, change the oil filter and then refill without the need to raise the vehicle. A clean process that you can do while wearing a tuxedo.

One can also add changing blown out bulbs and see the difficulty involved. Some of the Volvo and Chrysler make changing headlight bulb a full day project. Youtube and Google is your friend before you get seduced by your next vehicle.

Any resemblance with the picture of the 200 posted above?

Acura-TL-2012-exterior-color-graphitelustermetallic.jpg

The point being they all look pretty much alike these days.

Originally Posted By: Vikas

One can also add changing blown out bulbs and see the difficulty involved. Some of the Volvo and Chrysler make changing headlight bulb a full day project. Youtube and Google is your friend before you get seduced by your next vehicle.

Why would you change bulbs as part of the oil change?

I get your point, though, about design induced difficulties. But changing a HID light bulb every 10-15 years is not a very big issue.

Unfortunately, those were NOT HID bulbs but rather usual incandescent bulbs; so they need to be replace few times during the life of the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back