Opinions on these Specs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We live in the UK and have 2 Fiat Diesels. One is the 1910cc indirect injection Punto. The other is a 1910cc Doblo, common rail, turbo diesel.( Both this years model)
Fiat specify 10w 40 to ACEA B3.
The dealer uses 10w 40 Castrol Magnatec
cut & Paste
( Magnatec)PERFORMANCE RATINGS
API SL / CF ACEA A3-98 / B3-98 MB 229.1 VW 505.00
meets requirements of VW 500/501

CHARACTERISTICS
SAE Viscosity Rating 10W-40
Density at 15°C, 0.875 g/ml
Viscosity at 40°C, 104mm²/s Viscosity at 100°C, 14.5 mm²/s
Viscosity Index 144
Pour Point -36°C Closed flash point 195ºC
TBN 8.7
Chlorine Level - less than 50 parts per million

However....
I have discovered theres another Castrol 10w 40, Enduron.
cut & Paste
(Enduron) SAE 10W-40

Relative Density at 15ºC ISO 3675 / ASTM D1298 g/cm3 0.87
Viscosity at 40ºC ISO 3104 / ASTM D445 mm2/s 89
Viscosity at 100ºC ISO 3104 / ASTM D445 mm2/s 13.3
Viscosity Index ISO 2909 / ASTM D2270 - 151
CCS -20ºC ASTM D5293 mPa.s 3300
Total Base Number ASTM D2896 mgKOH/g 18
Flash Point (COC) ISO 2592 / ASTM D92 0C 236
Pour Point ISO 3016 / ASTM D97 0C -42
Sulphated Ash ISO 3687 / ASTM D874 %m 2.0

I would be most grateful for opinions as to which of these two oils I should use and why?
The change intervals are 6,000 miles on the Punto and 12,000 on the Doblo. This is on Magnatec at the dealers. Thanks in advance for any help, Regards, Mike

Sorry Michael, you gaught us yanks on a holiday where we are so doped up on tryptophan (from eating turkey) that most of us don't have the energy to really ponder oils. You guys want the colonies back? They're all yours for the taking today.
lol.gif

Specs for your second oil look a bit better. Have you used either oil yet.....oil analysis??

That's all I can say for now. I'm going back for another piece of pie.

MIchael,

The first oil is the one to use ....The second product has a TBN of 18 and a suphated ash content of 2.0%! This is Super Heavy Duty diesel oil intended for use with high sulphur, off road fuels or for use in Marine diesel engines. Not what you want for a TDI ....

TooSlick

quote:

Fiat specify 10w 40 to ACEA B3

There's your answer....OK, yeah too much Turkey...I smoked, then bag baked ours this year...washed down with a Mild ale...wow...oh sorry...

I didn't see the second oil listed as to what "specs" it meets....the numbers are interesting and yeah a TBN over 15?!?!. The killer is the 2% ash. Doubt FIAT would dig that....I chose #1, but bet you could do better.

Thanks for the welcome
smile.gif
Wish I could have been over there for the thanksgiving turkey.....
cool.gif
As for re taking the colonies..... I wish you would colonise us and bring our oil prices down
grin.gif
. Its the 10w 40 that makes it difficult over here as the full synthetics (which I would prefer) are all 0w 40 or 5w 40. I need the 10w 40 for the 3yr warranty..As well as letting the dealer do the service. I am uncomfortable with the change intervals though. I decided to change the bulk of the oil at the halfway point using a fluid extracter up the dipstick hole.So I will use the Castrol Magnatec 10w 40 that the dealer uses.I guess that will do well enough.... Undertray makes it a major struggle to do the filter without ramps so I will leave the filter to the normal change interval to be done by the dealer. I may look into an analysis at a future point.... Thanks for the advice, Regards, Mike (In a Foggy and cold UK)

quote:

Originally posted by Michael in London:
Thanks for the welcome
smile.gif
Wish I could have been over there for the thanksgiving turkey.....
cool.gif
As for re taking the colonies..... I wish you would colonise us and bring our oil prices down
grin.gif
. Its the 10w 40 that makes it difficult over here as the full synthetics (which I would prefer) are all 0w 40 or 5w 40. I need the 10w 40 for the 3yr warranty..As well as letting the dealer do the service. I am uncomfortable with the change intervals though. I decided to change the bulk of the oil at the halfway point using a fluid extracter up the dipstick hole.So I will use the Castrol Magnatec 10w 40 that the dealer uses.I guess that will do well enough.... Undertray makes it a major struggle to do the filter without ramps so I will leave the filter to the normal change interval to be done by the dealer. I may look into an analysis at a future point.... Thanks for the advice, Regards, Mike (In a Foggy and cold UK)

You want our oil prices, we want your ACEA standardization...LOL
grin.gif
If you are concerned by not obliging with your contract with the dealer, then it's best to just stick with what the factory recommends until your contract runs out.

Regards,

Oz

Go with number one, it starts off as a true SAE 40 weight, whereas the second one is barely 40 to start.

Too bad you can't get Delvac 1.

Michael,

welcome.gif
So good to have more Europeans on this board. We would be delighted to see oil analysis results of either Castrol products as we North Americans do not have the luxury of purchasing them.

Regards,

Oz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back