Opinions on Redline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do your bottles look like the ones on the site sponsor pic below...those are not the new ones. New ones are blue.

Redline is the one oil that I have considered using for a very, very long time. I have been aware of it since it was used a long time ago in racing. Mobil 1 actually had some problems when it was first introduced (I have been interested in it also since it first came out), and Amsoil interests me but the MLM and the pushy ads everywhere on the internet kind of turn me off. I don't know what to think about some of the newer ones, like Royal Purple.

But Redline has seemed like some magic stuff just beyond my reach. I know it was the real deal in auto racing, at least in the past. I suppose that if I was rich and I was driving a Corvette, I would have Redline in it.

Red Line is not out of reach if you get it from site sponsor. Not much more than M1 or GC especially since it's only at Autozone.
VP Racing and Neo out of reach...more likely. Don't think I will be trying these.

I have no problems believe RL's HT/HS specs. RL is a POE based oil and I believe these oils are more shear stable. However, the cSt idea does through a monkey wrench into the picture, especially when looking at it the conventional way which is by the viscosity @ 100c.

Jason-

That's what I heard from other sources, especially when I've talked to Dave.

RL does screwy things to UOA!

[ October 29, 2003, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: mf150 ]

Esso/Exxon's superflow 5W50 has a hths of 4.7
If you need an oil that has that kind of protection at elevated engine oil temperatures, you better have one.
If you are remotly concerned with what your engine oil is doing at 150C, your engine is at likely at risk with anything less than an xxW50 or SAE 50 in anything other than grannie's grocery getter.

I've been using Redline 5W-30 exclusively since engine rebuild for the last year. The only time I used another was when I ran out and had to mix with Amsoil 5W 30. I've been sitting on this UOA and should be sending it in next payday. It will be interesting to see how these do when combined.

Scotto

quote:

Originally posted by Mystic:
It would be interesting if somebody used Redline in a new car/truck. There would be no continued cleaning of a dirty engine. The UOA should show what Redline can really do.

Here is one. http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000657

RL since 5K. I may have other things going on so can't blame the oil. Schaeffers in the sump now and will see if things get better. As stated, a great oil for racing but may be a bit of overkill for the street IMHO. Especially in light of what other "lesser" oils are doing.

BTW, labs can show high #s for silicon. Its an antifoam additive that they use.

My experience is that Redline 5W30 (using it now) smooths out my Frontier 2.4L, about the same as Mobil 1 10W30 with the "brew."

I think it may have the lowest coefficient of friction of any oil on the market, but as for an extended drain oil (with the current formulation), I think the jury is still out.

[ October 29, 2003, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Mk, I have to agree. I've used so many oils over the last few months and I'm convinced it does have the lowest Cf. It has smoothed out my car greatly. Amsoil has told me that the S2000 oil uses Amsoil's best chemistry and does contain a friction modifier package. Nothing else exists to really compare.

Redline 5w-30:

10.6 Cst @ 100C
VI of 153

Redline 10w-30:
11.0 Cst @ 100C
VI of 137

Given the mid-range, 30wt viscosities @ 100C and the fairly low VI's - which define the slope of the viscosity/temp curve - I don't think it's possible for either of these oils to have HT/HS > 3.5 Cp?

For example, the Mobil 1, 10w-30 has a VI of 147 and a viscosity of 10.0 Cst - the HT/HS is 3.2 Cp

The Amsoil 10w-30 has a VI of 176 and a viscosity of 11.8 Cst - the HT/HS is 3.5-3.6 Cp.

These are all very shear stable formulations - in fact, I don't think the M1, 10w-30 uses ANY VI modifier.

Well since you believe Amsoil's and M1's specs you have to believe Red Line's which is a 3.8 HTHS.
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back