Opinions on Castrol Edge and Penzoil Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBG

Warning, n00b post alert, wah wah wah.

Just wanted to hear what's up with these two oils. I've been thinking about putting one or the other in my car soon, and was hoping that anyone would have some neat information/opinions on either of these oils.

2001 Saturn SW2
40k Miles
5W-30 Oil, but I'm allowed to run 10W-30 as well since I live in an area that doesn't go under 20 degrees F.
Mixed driving, freeway and city
No problems on my car.

Any opinions on what would be better for my dinky plastic tupperware box?

Originally Posted By: PBG
Warning, n00b post alert, wah wah wah.

Just wanted to hear what's up with these two oils. I've been thinking about putting one or the other in my car soon, and was hoping that anyone would have some neat information/opinions on either of these oils.

Read this about Ultra

and this about Edge....

Should keep you busy till Summer...

Can you wait for several months? in 700 more miles, I am going to put Castrol edge in my car and will be running it for 15,000 miles then doing an UOA.

Last edited:
I myself have never been a castrol fan or frankly a Pennzoil fan until I found BITOG. I started using Pennzoil platinum and really liked it. When Ultra came out I was literally foaming at the mouth to be the first to get it. I was and really like it so far. The vehicle it's in was on a dose of Redline 5-30 that made the truck run smoother then silk. Smoother then with any other product I had tried. When i pulled the redline and installed ultra 5-20 to my suprise it was just as smooth and quiet. I currently have over 5000 miles on ultra and all is great.

Pennzoil has been nice enough to take the time to answere many questions by our members about the product. Very impressive!! Give it a shot

LMAO @ Bill

Last edited:
Not much news on the Ultra other than it's new, and according to it's maker is their best top tier oil LOL !! Many people here are really excited about Ultra, however it has just hit the shelf, not much information in the way of UOA, give it a bit longer it should have lots more credit to back up all of the specifications it exceeds !!

Edge is a great oil, the one Castrol finally got right. Edge is also a long drain oil ( extended drain whatever) and from the UOA forum also looks to be a fine oil. I have run Edge out to 13k with zero problems, my Accord really likes this oil.

With the above said about Castrol the only reason I chose it was to extend my OCI, I didn't see any increase in mileage, I don't need any cleaning, and I also didn't purchase extra protection that I would never need, or could use ( like purchasing incompetence ?) I have been a Castrol user for a long time as well !! ( I'm not faithful, I cheat about ever oil change)

There's a big chance I might try Penzoil Ultra. I'm not a super loyal person. I've used Valvoline SynPower and Mobil-1 Synthetic. I'm not willing enough to go a real long time on my Saturn. The longest I ran so far is about 5k on M1. I don't think extending my OCI is a big priority, so Penzoil Ultra may be a better choice.

Thanks for the info too Bill, I have about 10 tabs open on Google Chrome right now LOL!

newbie post alert, wah wah wah, good one... i will be using ultra next OC in my g5 to see if i get better mpg

Whatever oil you use, I would not run it too long. As S-Series engines age they have been to burn oil as the oil control rings get dirty.

Where did you get such a low mileage Saturn?

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
Where did you get such a low mileage Saturn?

From my family, we're the original owners. It was my grandmother's, and I had just had a 93 Dodge Spirit blow up. I "bought" the SW2 with 18k miles on it in 2008, which means from 2001 to 2008, it picked up 18k miles, or 2500 miles a year or so. Grandmother didn't drive all that often, and the oil was changed on a standard of every 3 months, as she did little to no driving. After that, it sat for a little while. After buying it, I got new tires, did a tranny fluid change, coolant change, and fixed it up here and there.

I'm a frequent poster on SaturnFans and have been informed of the oil burning. So far, no oil burning yet, as I've kept to using "synthetic" oil (M1, Valv Synpower, Q Horspower), and larger sized oil filters. Some of the guys @ SaturnFans will run 4.5 to 5k OCI, which is as far as I'll ever go. But these two oils have interested me. Now that M1 is 23.50 at Wal-Mart, it's only 3 more dollars for Castrol Edge, and 4 and some change for Penzoil Ultra.

PBGI'm a frequent poster on SaturnFans and have been informed of the oil burning. So far said:
Don't worry too much about oil burning. I have a 2000 SL1 with 132K. I am currently running Castrol Edge 5W-30, which is a very thin oil for a 30 weight, and it uses almost no oil. If you haven't developed any problems yet, then you probably won't have any major oil issues down the road. Just keep an eye on it.

I think the key with Saturns is fairly short OCI's. I probably won't run the Edge more than 7500 miles. People will tell me that I'm just wasting the potential of the Edge, which may be true. But I got it very cheaply, as I have done with most of the oil in my stash, so I don't mind cutting it short.

I use and like both. I put Ultra 5-30 in my Mazda Protege5 about 300 miles ago. Once the car is warm, it 'seems' a lot quieter and smoother than the last fill (Platinum 5-30).

My first tank of gas on the Ultra fill did net about a 4MPG increase without a change in driving mix or habits - not sure if the local stations have switched from winter gas or not, but it was encouraging. The temps around here have been about 15-20 degrees warmer in the morning the past few weeks.

I use Edge 5-30 in a Mazdaspeed Miata that gets around 2-3K miles/year. It also seems very smooth and quiet.

Not much evidence as it takes me about one year to get close to UOA mileage, but I like both so far. Nothing scientific - just opinion.

I've also used German Castrol (0-30) in both vehicles and Synpower 5-30. Just about any modern syn seems to be pretty good these days.

Last edited:
Edge, better guarantee....
27.gif

Do you think Castrol Edge or Pennzoil Ultra is a better oil to run in a 2002 toyota avalon? Is one superior in its detergent abilities?

I'd use Ultra, hands down. It's not a BP product and I believe it's a superior oil despite it's lack of extended drain recommendations.

Originally Posted By: PBG
There's a big chance I might try Penzoil Ultra. I'm not a super loyal person. I've used Valvoline SynPower and Mobil-1 Synthetic. I'm not willing enough to go a real long time on my Saturn. The longest I ran so far is about 5k on M1. I don't think extending my OCI is a big priority, so Penzoil Ultra may be a better choice.

Thanks for the info too Bill, I have about 10 tabs open on Google Chrome right now LOL!

I'd run Platinum over Ultra with a 5K OCI. Your Saturn will run well on just about anything, including a xW-40 oil is it uses anything...

I did a lot of over the road highway with mine, so I used a variety of oils including MaxLife HM, SYNTEC 0W-30, M1 0W-40, M1 HM 10W-40, and pretty much everything performed fine...

Last edited:
My '94 wasn't burning much when I parked it with almost 400000km and it lived it's whole life on a OCI of 5000km/conventional. Seems like the trick is to keep the oil rings clean and unstuck and keeping it changed may be the biggest factor in that. I know there used to be a lot of people on SaturnFans changing M1 at 3000 miles. If you aren't looking to extend the OCI maybe try the the lower tier synthetics (Syntec/PP) and pocket the change.
I can't see that either of these oils will cause you problems, even if they may be overkill. Like they say do what ever helps you sleep at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back