Opinions needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at getting my first semi auto, 9mm. I've had my mind set on a Glock 17 but now I'm thinking of a less expensive pistol. The pistols I've looked at the past couple of days are Taurus 24/7, S&W Sigma and Ruger P95. There are likes and dislikes about each of these and I was wondering if anyone here has had any personal experience with any of these pistols.

The local gun shop has the P95 priced at $299 and that price is very tempting.

G17 is very good - great mag availability ( except just recently which seems to be getting better )

No personal experience with P95 , but my son's P89 is virtually unstoppable even when very dirty ...

I've got a few P89s and one P85Mkii and they are excellent shooters. Never had a issue with any one.

I've shot a P95 and it was good. I had quite a few Glocks at one time but all are gone now. They are good firearms but IMO I like other brands more these days.

NOT a fan of Taurus Semi-Autos (have a few of their revolvers) and while I love my S&W M&P, the Sigma I just could not warm up to. They are at a good price though.

Between a Sigma or a Ruger, Ruger with no question.

Take care, bill
34.gif

I would go Ruger, I own a P95 and it has functioned flawlessly with several different brands of factory loads as well as many different flavors of my personal handloads. I had a 24/7 when they first came out and I had several stovepipes with it on factory ammo.

The P95 does have the typical Ruger trigger though.

Any of the pistols you're thinking of should be fine mechanically.

Don't forget to include a supply of standard capacity mags in your price calculation.

I'd get the pistol that feels best to you. For example, Browning High Powers are great pistols, the best the JMB ever designed. But they just don't fit my hand and the hammer bites me every time I try to shoot one. Great pistol but not for me.

Try this: Look at a spot on the wall, raise the pistol (UNLOADED) till you think the pistol is pointed at your spot. Do this with your eyes closed. How close are the sights to the spot? A pistol that points FOR YOU will be very close. BSW

Originally Posted By: bsmithwins
Any of the pistols you're thinking of should be fine mechanically.

Don't forget to include a supply of standard capacity mags in your price calculation.

I'd get the pistol that feels best to you. For example, Browning High Powers are great pistols, the best the JMB ever designed. But they just don't fit my hand and the hammer bites me every time I try to shoot one. Great pistol but not for me.

That's something I hadn't considered. I'll definitely want extra mags.
Try this: Look at a spot on the wall, raise the pistol (UNLOADED) till you think the pistol is pointed at your spot. Do this with your eyes closed. How close are the sights to the spot? A pistol that points FOR YOU will be very close. BSW

Originally Posted By: iontrap

That's something I hadn't considered. I'll definitely want extra mags.

Yep, for me I have at least 4 mags per Semi-Auto unless the mags are going to be banned soon.

If they are banned (like 30 round AR mags) then more than 4 is required... (a LOT more)
grin2.gif

Get the Glock if you can swing it. If you can't afford it, get the Ruger. Don't bother with the other options. I have owned and or shot all the above. The glock is nice, the ruger is an OK reliable gun.

Ruger...affordable, comfortable and easy to find magazines. I'm not a glock fan. I must say that I do enjoy my Walther P99 with 15 round mags...it shoots like a dream.

I have a Ruger SR9 9mm that's a decent pistol. Very reliable, the only thing I don't like about it is the trigger. Very gritty due to the safety that Ruger installed as part of the recall. I'm considering selling it to raise funds for an HK compact.

The SR9 has a totally different trigger than any P85 or P89. In fact my P345 while it has the "safe" trigger (can not shoot it if the mag is not there) its trigger is much better than the SR9 that shot.

I've got most of the Ruger P series and they all are excellent shooters.

Before you pull the trigger on the HK, check out a M&P 9mm compact. They are very nice and you don't run the risk of having a firearm with no support (as in mags, parts or service) in the near future since it is built and owned on these shores...

Something to think about.

Take care, bill

Originally Posted By: 416Rigby
I have a Ruger SR9 9mm that's a decent pistol. Very reliable, the only thing I don't like about it is the trigger. Very gritty due to the safety that Ruger installed as part of the recall. I'm considering selling it to raise funds for an HK compact.

I've shot an SR9. Trigger was horrible, and the recoil was harsh compared to my Glock 17.

Originally Posted By: iontrap
I'm looking at getting my first semi auto, 9mm. I've had my mind set on a Glock 17 but now I'm thinking of a less expensive pistol. The pistols I've looked at the past couple of days are Taurus 24/7, S&W Sigma and Ruger P95. There are likes and dislikes about each of these and I was wondering if anyone here has had any personal experience with any of these pistols.

The local gun shop has the P95 priced at $299 and that price is very tempting.

iontrap,

Except for the Taurus I have one of each of those pistol you mentioned. Each one has it's positives and negatives. IF you looking for a rock solid pistol then the Ruger comes to mind. The P95 is basically the same as the P85. For the price mentioned you can't go wrong with a Ruger. It'll last longer than you will.

Durango

I've gotten excellent results out of Taurus. I think you need to decide on if you want a standard size or compact too. Most models can be had either way. My wife carrys daily a Springfield XD40 amd loves it. She also has a Glock and a couple 1911's. She hates the glock after using the XD. I carry either a Scandium SW .357 or my ever reliable Taurus PT140 in .40cal. I do own other guns, but that Taurus shoots great, NEVER jammed in the 8 years I've owned it and was cheap enough that if I ever need to defend myself I won't cry when the police take it for evidence.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
and was cheap enough that if I ever need to defend myself I won't cry when the police take it for evidence.

Good Point.

Avoid the Glock,very unaccurate and does not shoot very well.My father had one,won it at a friends of the NRA banquent which was a NRA special and hated it.Got rid of and sold it

Glocks don't fit everybody, but they almost always work and will keep working even after abuse that would make many other pistols pack it in.

If I had to equip 100,000 boneheads with pistols, I'd buy 100,000 Glocks. They may not fit me perfectly but they fit most people well enough to be usable.

That said, my P226 with short trigger fits me very nicely, as my wife's P220 fits her. Buy what fits. BSW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back