opinions: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 7.289

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read a bunch of good reviews on the "AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 7.289" on download.com, and they sound very positive...esp. that it doesn't bog the system down like norton or mcafee, and the updates/definitions are free for life, too...

any users of this? if yes, what did you think?
would you recommend me to try it?

Here's the link at download.com:
AVG

EDIT:
the other two free best-loved a-v programs seem to be
"AntiVir home edition" and
"Avast"
I haven't heard much on these two...(??)

[ January 14, 2006, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: 97tbird ]

I read somehwere it gets to about 68% on the VB100 tests. I've also seen some tests where it actually performed practially as good as the big names of Norton and Mcafee. Bottom line is it's likely not going to get the very latest threats that emerge like paid anti-visus software. There's also free Avast you could combine it with for more protection. If you're behind a router, you safely browse the net/use firefox with scriptblock and you only open email attachments that you know 100% about, then you likely don't even need A/V software! I have Mcafee and do all of the above and I've never even had any malware detected. I also seem to not get spyware anymore, even when using Exploder.

VB100 shows that AVG has had 10 successful tests, 21 failed tests and 12 no entries. They clearly have been getting better, but as recently as October 2005 they failed.

A far better choice would be a product such as Kaspersky with a 30/13/0 record and no failures in over 2 1/2 years.

Just because a product is free does not make it a good product. After all, it's your data you are protecting.

quote:

If you're behind a router, you safely browse the net/use firefox with scriptblock and you only open email attachments that you know 100% about, then you likely don't even need A/V software!

No antivirus software? That's an extremely bad piece of advice.

quote:

There's also free Avast you could combine it with for more protection.

Never run more than one antivirus product on a computer. It's an invitation to system problems and lockups.

To tell the truth, I use IE 5% of the time, rest of the time FireFox, have and update Adaware and Spybot regularly...and we're VERY careful about what we open, and do only necessary, normal browsing on the net (no kids here, either)...that's all, though. My Norton that came with the pc is long expired, and right now the p/c is running with NO anti-virus, which I know is bad...

so, in MY situation, I think getting the free, although not perfect AVG a/v is probably better than nothing, do you guys agree?

and: do I HAVE to uninstall my old Norton a/v first(which probably does nothing anymore anyway) IF I decide to install the AVG-thing?
Thanks again.

Been using the AVG in my network for 6 months no problems. It found stuff that Norton never found. It is somewhat of a resource hog when its doing a scan.

Not to disregard the facts about the VB100 tests (I'm very thankful for all the info/feedback), but I did some reading on vb100 on some forums, and most "experts" seem to think using the vb-100 tests to decide on a/v software is no better than depending heavily on consumer reports to buy cars...some think it's the ultimate test, but most seem to think it's total ** and have said that some a/v software that vb100 didn't award its vb100 logo to perform best...I don't know.
I already downloaded the AVG free a/v software, but still didn't install it...
I'll wait on some more feedback/opinions, I think.

One can't read info on reviews of a/v software on the VB100 website without registration/subscription, but I did see the following statement there:
"...A VB100% award means that a product has passed our tests, no more and no less. The failure to attain a VB100% award is not a declaration that a product cannot provide adequate protection in the real world if administered by a professional. We would urge any potential customer, when looking at the VB100% record of any software, not simply to consider passes and fails, but to read the small print in the reviews..."
dunno.gif

---------------------------------------
To Amkeer:
you said: "....It is somewhat of a resource hog when its doing a scan..."

do you mean that the AVG is a resource-hog? (or the norton?)

[ January 14, 2006, 08:53 PM: Message edited by: 97tbird ]

Been using Avenge for a year or so. Also use the free versions of ZoneAlarm firewall and AdAlarm antiadware. Haven't had any problems.

Panda Titanium Internet Security 2006 is the current best rated product. Updates daily and a great user interface. Highly recommended fwiw. Microsoft Update is also great and keeps all your MS stuff up to date.

Here is a great article on free security software. Talks alot about how layering with 2 or 3 free programs actually can outperform the best paid programs. I'd say, go with AVG free which has realtime protection, then download the free version of bitdefender which doesn't, so you don't have compatability issues. That would give you as much protection as the next joe. In fact, I think that'll be my next setup for antivirus when my Mcafee subscription runs out.

A few months ago I got infected, had Mcafee that quit working with no warning, installed NAV it didn't work either. Then came PC magazine with a CD that included AVG, I loaded AVG and it found a trojan that Norton and Mcafee ignored. Deleted Norton and Mcafee and have been running AVG since. I got hit with a spywarestrike attack but Ewido cleaned that.

I've been running AVG for years. I highly recommend it . Great anti-virus. My laptop and desktop both run 24/7. I set AVG to auto update daily. Also run Opera for my browser. Another winner.

I use AVG alone on one PC along with Spybot, Spyware Guard, Spyware Blaster and MSAntispyware with no problems.

On another I use AVG, AntiVir and Nortons Corporate client along with Spybot, Spyware Guard, Spyware Blaster and MSAntispyware with no problems.

The only problems I have had layering antivirus programs was when McAffee was thrown in the mix.

I like AVG and MSAntispyware because they are functional and because of the auto updates. If I had to choose one free virus program and one free spyware program it would be these.

Don

I am gonna' get rid of AVG. It doesn't find anything anymore. And you can't stop or control when it scans. When it scans it takes huge resources. I am going to stick with Ad-Aware, Pest-Patrol and Microsoft beta.

"If you're behind a router, you safely browse the net/use firefox with scriptblock and you only open email attachments that you know 100% about, then you likely don't even need A/V software! "

Maybe Firefox will help, but a router is certainly not the last word
frown.gif

I installed AVG last night. There basically is no defense anymore against true nastiness while running MS OS. Whatever happened to my PC, nothing slowed the attack.

I'm not sure MAC will be that great in the future but if it weren't for the price of the hardware I'd be there now.

quote:

Not to disregard the facts about the VB100 tests (I'm very thankful for all the info/feedback), but I did some reading on vb100 on some forums, and most "experts" seem to think using the vb-100 tests to decide on a/v software is no better than depending heavily on consumer reports to buy cars...some think it's the ultimate test, but most seem to think it's total ** and have said that some a/v software that vb100 didn't award its vb100 logo to perform best...I don't know.

How many other sites actually test the software against viruses or rely on the "It worked on my system!" butt dyno comment? While it shouldn't be taken as gospel, VB100 can be used as another indicator of a products reliability and performance.

The biggest factor in protecting yourself is you. A computer is no different than a car-if all you know is enough to sit behind the wheel, turn the key and press the pedals you're likely to have mechanical problems. If you know how to maintain it, then you can stop problems before the become an issue.

I liken AVG to a Fram filter-it probably won't harm your computer, but there are much better choices available. There are a lot of people who will heartily recommend Fram filters, but "not on my machine."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back