Anti-Virus Decisions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bornconfuzd
Seems there's a short window for edits and I missed it.

It's about 10-15 minutes. Long enough to re-read your post and correct spelling/grammar mistakes.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: bornconfuzd
Seems there's a short window for edits and I missed it.

It's about 10-15 minutes. Long enough to re-read your post and correct spelling/grammar mistakes.

Story of my life. :)

I had to leave the computer for a while and didn't check things till I got back.

I've made worse mistakes. Like trying to break a topic into two threads so it wouldn't be so long and forcing a mod to combine them!

I'll learn...... if I don't get banned first!

I was checking out antivirus programs for 2015 at the PCMagazine website. I almost laughed my head off at the evaluation of Norton Security. True, it just barely came out. But according to the guy's OWN TESTING it detected only 28% of the malware until he tried to open the files up. He made a big deal about TrendMicro detecting only 60% of the malware before he tried to open up the files! According to his own testing Bitdefender and F-Secure were detecting 80% of the malware immediately, before he attempted to open up files.

He said that Norton has a different method of operation now compared to the other antivirus programs. It is now a cloud antivirus. But so is TrendMicro and Panda as far as I know.

And then he gave Norton a high rating. Above TrendMicro. And TrendMicro, in the guy's OWN TESTING, detected 80% of bad websites and Norton detected 51%.

I can't imagine any antivirus detecting only 28% of the malware. I bet Windows Defender detects a higher percentage than that. Sure, after the malware gets on the computer the behavioral detection kicks in (for Norton). But the malware is on the computer then. Other programs like Bitdefender were blocking far more malware. In the end, after behavioral detection, Norton Security was detecting 89%. But Bitdefender and F-Secure were blocking about the same amount (and TrendMicro also including behavior detection) and they were blocking more malware immediately, even before behavioral detection.

28% malware detection? I think I will pass on the Norton.

So I just uninstalled McAfee using Revo Uninstaller, and during the process Windows Defender came alive.

Windows Defender is build-in Windows anti-virus. Is it basically the same as "Microsoft Security Essentials" which can also be downloaded from Microsoft.

What's strange about Windows Defender is there is no icon or way to launch it unless you do a search for it to bring it up.

Also, I don't think Windows Defender can actually be "uninstalled" because it's integrated into Windows 7 (in my case), so does that mean I could load Bitdefender Free with no conflicts, or would I have to try and turn off Windows Defender somehow?

Also, if I go into Control Panel > System Security > Action Center and look at "Security" under virus protection it says:
"Virus Protection (important) - Windows did not find antivirus software on this computer."

Then a link takes me to a Microsoft webpage that shows all kinds or antivirus program recommendations for Win7.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/antivirus-partners#AVtabs=win7

I'm assuming it means a 2nd party antivirus program, and obviously not Windows Defender. So does Windows Defender shut off if a 2nd party antivirus program is loaded?

Bitdefender free will turn Windows defender off on it's own. It's a very solid AV. I would give it a try. It's the only AV I will run on Windows computers.

I'd recommend Emsisoft, Kaspersky or Bitdefender.
Any of those are VERY VERY good options. Personally, i'd choose Emsisoft since it's a LOOOOOT cheaper for me and gets good scores in most tests.

Last edited:
Has anyone else had a problem with Bitdefender Free installed and Chrome not working? This happened to me about a year + ago and as a result I removed it. I have Avast Free and would consider Bitdefender again if people are running it and Chrome. Thanks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Has anyone else had a problem with Bitdefender Free installed and Chrome not working? This happened to me about a year + ago and as a result I removed it. I have Avast Free and would consider Bitdefender again if people are running it and Chrome. Thanks.

I've never had that issue and I've installed it on a lot of PCs. What exactly was the problem? Chrome wouldn't open with Bitdefender free?

Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I've never had that issue and I've installed it on a lot of PCs. What exactly was the problem? Chrome wouldn't open with Bitdefender free?

It opened and wouldn't load pages. IIRC I went through disabling add ons to try and resolve it, via a Google search and it didn't work. I removed Bitdefender by going to an image file I created of the virgin installation of Win 7 so I know no part of Bitdender was lingering. Then I installed another AV program and Chrome worked. A month later I went back to the image file and tried Bitdefender again and had the same problem. I ended up punting and went with Avast. It's been quite a while, I might give it another try. I did a Google search today, and it appears I wasn't the only one with this issue, but it might be resolved now.

Well I have certainly put Bitdefender free on a lot of PCs and Chrome worked fine. I don't use Chrome myself, but on the other computers I have never had a problem.

I have had many random issues with bitdefender, as I always mention its a good AV if you have no issues.

otherwise

kaspersky or eset are both great options that truely just work, catch all the bad stuff on the way in and are available very cheap

usually 5$ or less after rebate.

So I was reading about the Win7 built-in "Windows Defender", and it sounds like it's more of an "anti-malware" program instead of an "anti-virus" type of program. I think Windows Security Essentials is Microsoft's anti-virus program.

Quote on Microsoft's website:
"Windows 7 also includes Windows Defender, software that helps protect your computer from pop-up ads, slow performance, and security threats caused by spyware and other unwanted software."

Is Windows Defender a true "anti-virus" program? I think I'll be downloading Bitdefender Free to try that out.

Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1 is both an antivirus and an anti-spyware program. It essentially combines Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials.

Windows Defender in Windows 7 is not the same as Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1 is both an antivirus and an anti-spyware program. It essentially combines Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials.

Windows Defender in Windows 7 is not the same as Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1.

Thanks for the clarification ... that's pretty much what I was concluding to by reading between the lines on Microsoft's website.

Loading up Bitdefender Free in 5 min.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back