What Do You Think Of AVG Free Anti Virus ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dishdude
AVG free is the pits. Popups, wanting to install additional programs - uninstalled it and I now use MSE.

I tend to trust an independent, well recognized testing organization rather than just another guy on a forum.

I think which you select also depends on the type of user you are ...if you are proactive in watching how you use the net then a lower rated product will do just fine, but if you click everything you need a very good product for sure. If I has clueless users or kids, ect I would pick the AVG every time.

A user like myself where the grey matter between my ears is part of the AV suite (LOL) then I have no issue using MSE.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
All I have had to do is download and re-install the free version.

Can you post a link for the free version?

http://go.eset.com/us/download/free-trial

OK - that is the same link that I posted. I am surprised that it will simply allow you to reinstall to bypass the trial time limit.

I use Kaspersky Pure (switched from their Internet Suite a week ago); managed to get it for free after $50 rebate from NewEgg.

I have tried them all and **most** of the paid AV suite do a good job, but some are bigger resource hogs over the others.

i trust peoples opinions in a lot of cases when it comes to business the company that slips the most cash under the table seems to win

MSE is overall the best AV I have used. It is the only one to catch anything of significance that I have ever used. Also it seems to blend seamlessly with the Updates that Microsoft provides monthly. Their Malicious Software Removal Tool is the only AV software that has removed every bug it has found.

All I have had to do is download and re-install the free version.

Can you post a link for the free version?

http://go.eset.com/us/download/free-trial

OK - that is the same link that I posted. I am surprised that it will simply allow you to reinstall to bypass the trial time limit.

I use Kaspersky Pure (switched from their Internet Suite a week ago); managed to get it for free after $50 rebate from NewEgg.

I have tried them all and **most** of the paid AV suite do a good job, but some are bigger resource hogs over the others.

Looks like I owe you an apology. About 15 minutes ago I received a message from ESET saying my activation was going to expire in 13 days. I removed the free trial verison, restarted my computer and went back to the free trial download page, downloaded ESET again and when I entered my email address for validation, it would not validate and gave me an error message saying that email address had already been used in a prior trial validation. So I just used my old AOL email address, ESET accepted it and I am now on another 30-day free trial.

I have had ESET now for two months though, and the last time I had to update it, all I did was remove it, reinstall it and use my current Yahoo email for validation and it worked fine. Maybe there is a limit on free trail validations with the same email, or maybe they changed their policy. I have no idea. I am set for another 30 days and after that I may have to re-visit this post to find another free AV program. I have used MSE before and it worked fine. Sorry for posting wrong info here, but I know ESET let me renew it about 3 weeks ago with the same email I used in my initial activation. I have no idea how or why it is different now.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i trust peoples opinions in a lot of cases when it comes to business the company that slips the most cash under the table seems to win

Except A-VTest.org is a well respected nonprofit organization. Not likely they are going to jepordize that standing.

Sorry but you are STILL just some random guy on the internet, I'll take my chances with the well respected nonprofit organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back