OPINION,,Any Aussie Got One?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On another forum I asked if kangaroos were considered or sought after as human food (after one guy called 'em dog meat). Interested in hearing what BITOG enlightened Austrailians have to input.

Bob

I like Roo meat. Very lean. Oft gamey. Easy to dry out. Sorta like a different tasting venison.

Always very very red, and rarely bought outside a cryopac.

Better half won't have it in the house, doesn't like the smell.

I'm working on it, as it's a better food than most of the imported species.

Lots of people that I know bowl a few over for dog tucker every year.

Yep, used for HC (human consumption) here and exported.
Very lean game meat, high in iron and needs to be cared for and cooked like venison and other lean game meats.

Mainly used here for pet food though
wink.gif

It's actually illegal to shoot for own use as the animals are protected. Our crazy laws state that if you are issued with a culling licence (known as tags) for rural culling purposes that the carcass has to be tagged and left to rot in the paddock.
smirk2.gif
Just ideal when you are also trying to control feral predators.

The NPWS (National Parks and Wildlife Service) even do spot checks and occasional aerial flyovers in choppers to catch out landholders culling illegally, ie, they'll call unannounced and and go straight to the dog runs on rural properties to check for bones.

Shannow was quicker replying
LOL.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tdi-rick
The NPWS (National Parks and Wildlife Service)

This area they are referred to as "National Sparks and Wildfires".

Please nobody pay attention to the last bit of my last post regarding people I know and healthy dogs.

"Please nobody pay attention to the last bit of my last post regarding people I know and healthy dogs." Shannow

We all know you're one a them gun nuts that lies about EVERYTHING!
thumbsup2.gif

Bob

Only time I've ever killed a roo was a 16.9M grain projectile at 64fps.

Projectile mushroomed perfectly (unfortunately)

Yes high quality meat on the menu in all the top restuarants here and some in the U.S. I shot a roo at Woomera when I was a stupid teenager after I joined the Air Force at 17, the enormity of it has stayed with me ever since. I got rid of the rifle immediately.

I have eaten kangaroo and it wasn't too bad. Human grade of course. I think they farm the human grade ones where the animal feed ones may just be products of shooting and culling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back