One oil for mowers and snowblower?

Matt1357

Would like to buy one 5 quart jug of oil instead of separate quarts for oil changes. I have a Riding mower with a Kohler that calls for 10w30, a cheap push mower that also calls for 10w30 and a cheap snowblower that calls for 5w30. I live in northern connecticut so temperature swings but nothing too extreme. Would 5w30 provide enough protection for the mower? Would 5w40 be an option?

Would 5w40 be beneficial over 5w30?
Depends. A good euro 5w40 would provide an hths of 3.5 at least, and with many euro approvals, it would be a good candidate.

Any real world benefit? I’m not sure. Although, I’d rather sleep well at night

Go to Walmart and spend probably 30 bucks for 5 quarts of a name brand 0w-40 or 5w-40.

Even pull starting in -5 fahrenheit?
I am going to go thinny here, at -5 degrees I would say 5W-30 . I took a temp reading of the oil on my snowblower at various outside temps. At 25 degrees outside after an hour of use I got an oil temp of 176 degrees. Another time at 14 degrees outside after an hour of use I got a temp reading of the same temp. The most important thing is that your snowblower will start and you do not have a hard time pulling the cord.

I am going to go thinny here, at -5 degrees I would say 5W-30 . I took a temp reading of the oil on my snowblower at various outside temps. At 25 degrees outside after an hour of use I got an oil temp of 176 degrees. Another time at 14 degrees outside after an hour of use I got a temp reading of the same temp. The most important thing is that your snowblower will start and you do not have a hard time pulling the cord.

My Ego 56v 2- stage always starts! 😁

Back on the topic, I've used 5w30 in our lawn tractor since we bought it, other than running Amsoil 4-stroke 0w40 one time.

I use 0w40 m1 in my lawn tractors, push mower and snowblower. I just started my snowblower (1979 Tecumseh hm80) today in minus 23c and it fired immediately, stalled a couple of times and then ran fine after that, which is what it often does even if it's warmer out.
I also started my generator up (with 0w30 Pennzoil ultra) at the same -23c and it cranked for a solid 20 seconds total at least before firing off and then running fine. It had been sitting at least a month before this, while the snowblower was ran for hours just a couple of days ago.
Both cranked about the same speed. Generator had a fully charged battery, while the snowblower is on 120v. So apples to oranges comparison I guess.

Back