One of Mercedes dumber ideas.

Changed oil and filter on a GLS450 today. The filter is right above the belt. The canister that contains the oil filter holds about 20oz of oil.

Usually i can loosen the cap so that the oil drains as to not make a mess. Not on this car.

Did my best to stuff rags all around. Still made a huge mess inçuding flooding the belt with oil which I immedialy cleaned off with 2 cans of brakcleaner.

Here is the directions

IMG_20240404_153453317_HDR.jpg

I’ve never had that problem with my 276’s. I loosen the cap and let the oil drain down while I’m vacuuming the oil out. Just lift it out with a towel under it. Put it on the ground with some paper under it and replace the filter and O rings.

I’ve never had that problem with my 276’s. I loosen the cap and let the oil drain down while I’m vacuuming the oil out. Just lift it out with a towel under it. Put it on the ground with some paper under it and replace the filter and O rings.

My C class with a m271 engine is exactly the same. Cleanest oil change on any car I've ever had by far. It's a great design that allows you to everything from above.

Changed oil and filter on a GLS450 today. The filter is right above the belt. The canister that contains the oil filter holds about 20oz of oil.

Usually i can loosen the cap so that the oil drains as to not make a mess. Not on this car.

Did my best to stuff rags all around. Still made a huge mess inçuding flooding the belt with oil which I immedialy cleaned off with 2 cans of brakcleaner.

Here is the directions
Would a Form-A-Funnel help in this situation?

Got a picture of the set-up? The filter on the V-12s is right up front - right over the serpentine belt. So convenient.

But I don’t spill a drop when removing it. Open the engine oil drain plug, then go top side, remove the filter cap, pull the cartridge up and out, it all drains back. New o-rings, a bit of oil on them, re-install cartridge. Go back under.

Simple. Easy. Just like every Mercedes I’ve owned.

Those allow the filter to drain because it stays in the cap. It lifts up when loosened and allows oil to drain. The one i did the filter sticks onto the engine side and cant drain.

Those allow the filter to drain because it stays in the cap. It lifts up when loosened and allows oil to drain. The one i did the filter sticks onto the engine side and cant drain.

It uses this filter. its upside down in this pic. the small end stays in the engine when you remove the top cap. no way for oil to drain down.

Screenshot_20240405-064304.jpg

It uses this filter. its upside down in this pic. the small end stays in the engine when you remove the top cap. no way for oil to drain down.

View attachment 212417
Side of engine is dumb! The reason MB wants dealers to vacuum oil out is because if you use the drainplug oil gets all over the suspension and bushings. They don't want that. That doesn't sound like a 276 engine.

Are you draining the pan first?

Id expect some to drain back when hot, over a little while.

I know on my MB cars, if the set of o-rings on the cover shaft are good and plump, sometimes if you don’t wait a bit there can be a bit of oil dribbling out. But it’s not much, and on my much older design engines, the filter is at the rear of the engine.

But I’ve seen this sort of thing happen.

That lousy design would really grind my gears. Could the belts and other sensitive parts be shielded with trash bags while draining old oil. Then, when everything is sealed back, flush the area clean with warm soapy water?

Back