Status
Not open for further replies.
This what i got free from my neighbor;

2 q havoline SJ rated oil
2 q haboline SL rated oil
1 q Chevron SL rated oil
3 q Dexron 2 rated transmission oil

DSCF2736.JPG

here is the question I have a car that requires SL oil , I am planing to do a mixture

1q SL + 1q SJ + 2q new SM oil and 1/2 q of Dexron 2 , will it work ?
the car is a Saturn that burns oil ? I dont wanna wast that oil

Last edited:
I will not put the Dex-II in there.

Other than that you will be fine if not doing an extended drain.

Originally Posted By: sirgerman

Shame to waste high ZDDP oils on an old Saturn.

In fact, if it really is an oil burner the catalytic converter would be better off with SM/SN oils.

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone
Originally Posted By: sirgerman

Shame to waste high ZDDP oils on an old Saturn.

In fact, if it really is an oil burner the catalytic converter would be better off with SM/SN oils.

that why I am doing the mixture to be safe , the car has 165000 miles on it , I am not worry for the cat

I also wouldn't use the old Dex, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt as a top-off oil in an older car if you absolutely had to use it.
ANYWAY, what I would recommend is when you add the motor oil to the engine is to pour about 90% out of the bottle, then stop, but the cap back on the container and shake the bottle as much as you can for about a minute or so. Chances are that a lot of the additives are laying at the bottom of the containers and you won't get them in the engine if you don't shake it.
How do I know? I was changing type "F" tranny fluid last week in my old parade-queen Mercury and started to refill the tranny. I put in about 3 quarts of SuperTech oil (from a blue bottle) and then open up a case of Pennzoil type "F" (from a yellow bottle) that was probably sitting on my shelf about 2 years. After I poured the oil out of the yellow bottle, I could see a black layer on the bottom of the container. Using a flashlight, I could then see it also in the bottom of the blue containers. It was additive that had settled out. I put a couple of ounces of oil back in each bottle, shook it hard and poured the (slightly foamy) oil into the tranny. The additives had loosened up and were again in the oil. I bet there will be some additives laying on the bottom of that old engine oil also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back