Oil Usage - My '01 Grand Marquis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings everyone,

I don't think I have an issue, but I wanted to run it by you folks just to double-check. On the last oil change on my '01 Grand Marquis (standard 4.6L and unfortunately no PI motor :(), I switched over to Pennzoil Platinum after the car used conventional for at least most of it's life. (Valvoline conv. was used in the previous OCI)

The switchover to PP happened 2 months and 1400 miles ago, so you can see the car doesn't see much mileage now. I just checked the dipstick a few minutes ago and saw that it used up less than half-a-quart (which is more than usual for THIS car, but I believe it's still in the range of normal consumption) and the oil had a golden-brown color. The car has no leaks that I know of and the clock shows 164k miles.

Now from previous topics, I believe that it has been proven that the engine will initially use more oil when you switch from conventional to syn, but then the consumption goes down after. I would imagine that different engines have different results, so I was wondering if anyone had an idea about how long it would take before the consumption goes down? I am planning on going 6 months or 7500 miles on this OCI, unless anyone thinks that I can exceed it.

Thanks for your help everyone!

I wouldn't worry about slightly higher consumption after switching oil brands, or to a synthetic.

Give it until at least mid way through the next oil change interval to decide.

I'd put money on it leveling out. Just keep an eye on the level, and top it up as needed.

As for your OCI, I wouldn't exceed that for the first run.

Last edited:
Agree with Ryan. I switched back to Mobil 1 for the same reason after trying PP for 2 ODIs but I do not this is a big deal. For various reasons some engines like certain oils depending on application dynamics.

Btw, your engine is the same as PI. It's a well entrenched myth that P71 has a different engine. Different engine code, electronic speed limiter, no resonators in exhaust, different ratios on AT and rear differential yet the same engine. And for whatever reason of all Panthers the MGM enjoys longer life in taxicab application. On par with Town Car.

From million mile cabs logbooks the best oils for this 2001 engine are 10W30 Amsoil or M1 EP

I would give Motorcraft 5w20 Blend or Full Synthetic a try....The Motorcraft Blend is cheap enough to change out every 5K miles instead of 7500 that you are doing...The 4.6 seems to love Motorcraft.

Another MC 5w20 blend lover here. Good stuff, great price, and my '07 Grand Marquis loves it!

A lot of great information here and thank you for your input everybody! Also to Y_K, I appreciate your sharing of the information about the P71 models! Coincidentally, I am considering changing the rear end gear down the road as I only have a 2.73 ratio right now (and considering a 3.55). I'll be sure to keep you folks updated as developments occur. Take care everyone and thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back