Oil temps w/r to ambient temps - plotted for my VW Golf Sportwagen

Anytime you have more air flow through a cooler, it's going to decrease the outlet temperature of the fluid being cooled. This is also true with coolant radiators that feed coolant-to-oil coolers since those coolers feed off the cold side of the radiator. At highway speeds vs city speeds, the engine's coolant temperature coming out the cold side of the radiator will be cooler too.

It won't be low enough to make much difference ... I'd like to see formal data of how much cooler, especially on a vehicle with an oil cooler. A thicker oil if a few degrees hotter will still provide better viscosity/MOFT protection between moving parts.

PS - wish you could use the quote function. Just hit the View attachment 109031button. ;)
My car's oil is always hotter on the highway then in town - when I come off the highway to drive home after a longer highway drive/commute, my oil temp will drop 10 degrees. Oil temp is directly proportional to RPM on my car.

I look at my oil temps all the time in my VW Sportwagen and finally plotted them up to see what is showed. These data were collected on the same route (and after enough time that they stabilized) - a 45 mile highway drive so speed and driving style are consistent with ambient being the primary variable. It should also be noted that oil type would also be a variable but all were 5W40s with the VW502 00 approval; I have seen no variation w/r to oil brand or when I change my oil etc. Extrapolation with red dashed lines on either side. This pretty much nails it in terms of low 200s in winter and low-to-mid 220s in summer on my drive. The graph would shift down for around-town driving where speeds/RPM are lower and shift up for aggressive driving - I have seen 235 on the track with sustained triple-digit driving. I see posts from time to time here about oil temps and over in the VW world/FB pages/forums I see comments about XYZ oil dropped my temps 10 degrees etc. but I call BS on those posts - oil temp variation being reported is most likely due to simply not controlling the variables for the data point collection or understanding that the oil temps will fluctuate with RPM/speed.

View attachment 53289
To further expand on this. 2.0T Tiguan engine oil temps are even cooler in normal day-day driving. The dash reading hardly goes above 200F unless really pushing a hill for an extended time and then it never goes past 210F. I got it to read 215F once by doing a lot of high speed passing on a 70MPH speed limit highway. Heck even yesterday in our sweltering temps of 100F+ it stuck around 198F.

Reactions: FZ1
My car's oil is always hotter on the highway then in town - when I come off the highway to drive home after a longer highway drive/commute, my oil temp will drop 10 degrees. Oil temp is directly proportional to RPM on my car.

I've found this to always be the case., the influence of ambient temps and loads is minimal

I've found this to always be the case., the influence of ambient temps and loads is minimal
I don't agree (for my car). Ambient temp influences it ~4 deg oil temp for every 10 deg ambient per my graph. Load has a big influece....at highway speeds any increase in slope will net an increase in oil temps.

the difference between across rpm range is bigger than for ambient temps. Especially on the cars with decent size oil coolers. The ones I had came with a thermostat too.

RPM made 35 ish degrees difference from low to high, but dropped in a minute or so after lifting.

I look at my oil temps all the time in my VW Sportwagen and finally plotted them up to see what is showed. These data were collected on the same route (and after enough time that they stabilized) - a 45 mile highway drive so speed and driving style are consistent with ambient being the primary variable. It should also be noted that oil type would also be a variable but all were 5W40s with the VW502 00 approval; I have seen no variation w/r to oil brand or when I change my oil etc. Extrapolation with red dashed lines on either side. This pretty much nails it in terms of low 200s in winter and low-to-mid 220s in summer on my drive. The graph would shift down for around-town driving where speeds/RPM are lower and shift up for aggressive driving - I have seen 235 on the track with sustained triple-digit driving. I see posts from time to time here about oil temps and over in the VW world/FB pages/forums I see comments about XYZ oil dropped my temps 10 degrees etc. but I call BS on those posts - oil temp variation being reported is most likely due to simply not controlling the variables for the data point collection or understanding that the oil temps will fluctuate with RPM/speed.

View attachment 53289
Good info for those of us, without, temp gauges. So, if you over laid the time from startup to oil temps, what would that look like? Ball park is ok.

Good info for those of us, without, temp gauges. So, if you over laid the time from startup to oil temps, what would that look like? Ball park is ok.
Each data point is about 30 min into the same highway drive so at full temp/stabilized.

Back