oil storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible for brand new oil bottles to sweat and cause moisture inside the bottle of oil when storing in barn?

If the cap is sealed, no... What can't get out, also can't get in...

ive had 2cycle unopened oil bottles leak after cold temps, i wouldnt use it myself, those small bottles are sealed differently than 4cycle quarts tho, oil filters rusting is a bigger concern, i always keep them inside

Let's say that it was possible.
Why would it matter?
You'd put the oil in an engine, and the first time the engine was run up to operating temperature for a decent length of time, all of the moisture would be evaporated out of the oil.

NO.
But I don't like storing oil in an unheated shed etc..because the constantly changing temperature degrades the oil faster,IMO.

I used to be pretty anal about storage of my filters and oil. Then I realized - I dump it in a car, which then exposes it to more heat (and more cold, since I park outside in the winter) than anything I could do to it letting it sit in the garage.

I expect oil to operate in the harsh environment of my engine and climate. Why would I not expect it to operate in the (relatively) mild environment of storage?

Last edited:
Mine's in the garage now. Heat I'm not worried about...more worried about the cold.

I figure a heavy blanket on them should be fine..
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: pbm
NO.
But I don't like storing oil in an unheated shed etc..because the constantly changing temperature degrades the oil faster,IMO.

I would doubt that. Can you site a source for that information?

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Mine's in the garage now. Heat I'm not worried about...more worried about the cold.

I figure a heavy blanket on them should be fine..
grin.gif

A blanket? Ha,I got this one! Oil container coolies,with battery operated thermal liners.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: pbm
NO.

I would doubt that. Can you site a source for that information?

I did read (somewhere.. long ago) that 68*F was optimal for oil storage. I don't think a few months in an unheated shed would do much harm but a couple of years might.
I would think that the constantly changing thermal cycle (from 0* to 100*F) is causing the additives (VII's) to 'work' while not even inside the engine.....I would like to hear Molecule or Tom in NJ or somebody more technically knowledgeable comment on this...
I'm not a tribologist but I play one on TV....

I may need to move some of my stash to the unheated outdoor shed for a year or 2. I may even make a storage under deck and keep them there, since it's dry. I hope the humidity in the unopened bottle are low enough that winter temperature remain it's dew point (inside the bottle).

Give 'em reasonable care, and they will be just fine. Just keep 'em out of the rain. I store mine in an uncooled garage, and they keep for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back