Oil stashes

I have >110 gallons in my stash right now. I can't resist some of these great deals.
There are several more vehicles in addition to my own fleet that get oil changes at my house. Even though we go through lots of oil, I keep finding deals faster than we use it.

It's absolutely the thrill of the hunt and at this point my wife is starting to wonder about my addiction. Not sure now, but at one point I had 200 gallons, most of which I was paid to take. Combine clearance prices with rebates and I cannot resist, it's not possible. Now friends and family know where to get quality oil cheap.(y)

Up in the Great White North (aka Canada) we don't get deals as good as our American friends. I usually build up a stash every 2-3 years.

This past Black Friday, Canadian Tire had Pennzoil Platinum 5 Liter jugs on sale for $23 Canadian ($16 USD) with a $10 mail in rebate. I already have 5 more jugs of VWB that I picked up back in 2018 at Walmart for under $12 a jug.

I hit that sale too. I grabbed 4 5L jugs for $12ish each after rebate. Stuff is regularly $60 per. Hard not to stock up at that price.

I only buy oil on sale too. Can't help it. But it is always useful since i do basic maintenance on five of my relatives and friends vehicles. My stash only consists of 5W-40 with the highest specs as well as some 10W-40. I know a few lads with very limited incomes in my neighborhood as well and from time to time i like to offer them a free oil change.

Times like these, its nice to have a stash at HOME!!!
wink.gif

Yea-I could go to Autozone and buy oil and catch COVID. Big chance of that happening......

I typically buy a year to a year and a half worth of oil changes (2 changes) for each vehicle. 3 vehicles, 2 family + 1 for my business. I try to take advantage of low prices. Just depleted my stash of PYB. Bought 6 jugs when we only had the two family vehicles. A year and a half ago. I think my current stockpile is at 8 jugs - I have an orphan jug of GTX (wifes car next change) and a jug of Mobil 1 that I decided not to use on my work vehicle (I just top off that last litre with it now until it's gone). The rest are Valvoline Maxlife 5w30 which will be the standard from here on out. Got 3 jugs for my work van, 3 jugs for my car or the wifes car.

close to 90qt of oil at an average price of 0.72$/qt for D1G2 full synthetic. If the oil is good your vehicle today (spec wise), why it won't be good 3yrs from now granted I'm driving same car? this should answer OP's question

My stash isn't as big as some others but it will do for my small apt

10 qt 5w30 M1 ESP @ 5.99 a qt minus 10 rebate
10 qt Kirkland 0w20 @ 22
3x mazda thai filters 7 a piece on ebay
1 M1 108a - free
1 PF64 - 6.80 minus 1.50 rebate

Nothing crazy.

Have plenty of Shell Rotella 0W-20 and 5W-30 on hand in quart and 5 quart jugs respectively. Have two 5 quart jugs of Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W-30 and one 5 quart jug of PP 5W-20. Just ordered (will most likely be cancelled) 3X 5 quart jugs of RGT 5W-30 and 15 quart bottles of RGT 0W-20 motor oil from AAP on clearance. You can also use AAP coupons on the RTG clearance oils. In summary, a decent stash being built up.

Yea-I could go to Autozone and buy oil and catch COVID. Big chance of that happening......
Yeah … I have plenty and pass up a deal here and there … somebody else needs it more than me …
Only going to Walmart for needs, not wants … and go about 15 minutes after opening …Follow list …
Maybe less than a dozen in store early … and self check out is not crowded since I’m out quick …
Their website shows peak shopper hours if anyone wants to minimize exposure that way …

I usually just buy the oil for the next change when I change the oil. That way I have enough on hand for each vehicle. Sometimes more when the quantities per change don't line up with the quantities in the jugs (5.7L change in the Landcruiser, for instance). I will have an extra 5L on hand to make up the difference.

I've used up all of my stash with the exception of one OCI's worth of NAPA full synthetic 0W/20. Unless oil prices start skyrocketing, I'm done with DIY oil changes. I can buy 4 full synthetic oil changes at the dealership for $175. Plus they vacuum, wash, and inspect the vehicle. The dealership is family owned and reputable. This is a small town and everybody knows everybody so you don't intentionally screw people over. Customers are your friends and neighbors. I'm getting less physically able to do my own oil changes and don't mind supporting friends and neighbors as much as possible. For everything I get, in the long run, I'm money ahead. If I need repairs, they work with me and let me make payments. Can't beat that!

40L x Duron 10W40 CK-4
20L x Duron SAE 40
38L x Delo 5W40 CK-4
27L x Delo 15W40 CJ-4
19L x 0W40 T6
19L x SAE 40 Walmart paid $10 for it.
10L x 20w50 Castrol motorcycle
8L x Duron SAE 30
19L x 15w40 T4

14L x 80W140 GL-5 Pet-Can
18L x Dura-drive multi veh syn
20L x Dex-6 PC
10L x 75w90 Pet Can syn (getting stale dated)
40L X this and that THF etc

I have a massive stash of oil, pretty much only purchased on sale, rebated or clearance. I maintain a lot of vehicles and go through quite a bit of it. I routinely use stuff that is 5-10 years old without issue.

I have a 5qt jug of 20w50 Mobil 1 from when I had a 1958 Porsche 356. Sold the car several years ago and really can't use that oil in either of my daily drivers. I have four 5 gallon jugs of 0w20 sitting in my garage. Whatever brand that was on sale.

40L x Duron 10W40 CK-4
20L x Duron SAE 40
38L x Delo 5W40 CK-4
27L x Delo 15W40 CJ-4
19L x 0W40 T6
19L x SAE 40 Walmart paid $10 for it.
10L x 20w50 Castrol motorcycle
8L x Duron SAE 30
19L x 15w40 T4

14L x 80W140 GL-5 Pet-Can
18L x Dura-drive multi veh syn
20L x Dex-6 PC
10L x 75w90 Pet Can syn (getting stale dated)
40L X this and that THF etc

You can open a store with that amount of oil.

Back