Oil Specs & Testing Approved Lubricants

Cost is the concern across the board for any brand. You have to make the oil as balanced as possible given all the options available. Amsoil uses GTL. You could make a PAO based oil with a dated additive system by loading up on cheap ZDP or boosting xyz. Doesn't mean it's better.
Amsoil uses GTL? That's going to let some air out of the balloon.
Cast ye your pearls before swine.

Last edited:
Deals are done all the time. If a major contracts with a blender to package 5 million gallons of XYZ products, the blender might contract with the major for an extra 5 million gallons of additives and base oils, to resell under their own brand/house brands/etc. This allows the major to move more base oil, buy additives better, etc. and the blender will probably give a discount to the major on blending and packaging. Because they’ll be able to sell the excess product. It’s a win-win for everyone. Including the cost concerned consumer.
So, dumb this down a bit for me. Is this like a beer company using a contract brewer?

So, dumb this down a bit for me. Is this like a beer company using a contract brewer?

It’s like your local bourbon distillery, or new brand bourbon, actually uses MGP bourbon. They might age it for a few months themselves. Then they slap a label on it and resell it.

Almost all of MGP’s bourbons go to distillers like that.

Edit:

Yes, it's like a beer company using a contract brewer / canner, as well.

Last edited:
Amsoil uses GTL? That's going to let some air out of the balloon.
Cast ye your pearls before swine.
Lol It was listed on an MSDS for SS a while ago. There was also a Russian video claiming to also show GTL. Makes no difference to me knowing how good the entire formulation is. Their data sheets are good too showing low Noack.

Lol It was listed on an MSDS for SS a while ago. There was also a Russian video claiming to also show GTL. Makes no difference to me knowing how good the entire formulation is. Their data sheets are good too showing low Noack.
They also switched their blue cap ATF from PAO to GTL... mostly, not comoletely. That 0.835 density is very telling. ;)

I appreciate the fact that AMSOIL lists the important information on their spec sheets, including NOACK volatility, unlike some blenders, who don't. It'd be nice if the big guys listed this information as well, so we don't have to guestimate NOACK volatility by the approvals and licenses that their lubricants carry.

I could always trace those rail car numbers in the Gale Banks videos.
Anyway, it wasn't easy inventing a quip by combining a 2,000 year old quote with a refinery in Ras Laffan.

Seems to be a trend of using PAO & others with GTL in some longer OCI lubes … Not a bad thing at all …

The majors aren’t going to give you state of the art. That’s wishful thinking at best.

They’re going to give you the lowest cost that meets specification.

Big, big difference.

But they can give you this

F8E75942-48A1-4805-B23A-C1251009F6C1.jpg

But they can give you this

View attachment 145513
None of these will demand a blend be capable of removing varnish or carbonaceous/coke deposits. If that could come to fruition, then the lines would be blurred to me. This isn't to say "specs don't matter." Just a way to put into the perspective the difference between "state of the art" vs "lowest cost that meets spec."

None of these will demand a blend be capable of removing varnish or carbonaceous/coke deposits. If that could come to fruition, then the lines would be blurred to me. This isn't to say "specs don't matter." Just a way to put into the perspective the difference between "state of the art" vs "lowest cost that meets spec."
Oh - I guess they forgot about that …

Notice how Mobil went to a more friendly LSPI before they did by 3 or so years?
While you are correct, they also look at their market demographics.

It is very unlikely you will have a consumer of amsoil operating a low displacement turbocharged engine under 2 liters where lspi is more common if i correctly state

While you are correct, they also look at their market demographics.

It is very unlikely you will have a consumer of amsoil operating a low displacement turbocharged engine under 2 liters where lspi is more common if i correctly state
You're correct. A consumer of Amsoil would be that guy in the front row that thinks the strippers love him.

You're correct. A consumer of Amsoil would be that guy in the front row that thinks the strippers love him.
I only personally know one guy who’s an exclusive Amsoil user - he’s a deeply religious family man - is outstanding at his profession (operations engineer) … and his hobby is racing his Corvette … (the family attends) …

I only personally know one guy who’s an exclusive Amsoil user - he’s a deeply religious family man - is outstanding at his profession (operations engineer) … and his hobby is racing his Corvette … (the family attends) …
Ned Flanders, Jr?

You can buy top tier synthetic oil that is approved and performs exceptionally well. You don't have to go the boutique route. I think that part of it is quite amusing especially when you're only using it in normal dd's going 5-7k mile drains. Even M1 EP in the 3.6L V6 I'm driving is overkill. A guy on the Colorado forums recently just hit 150k using dealer oil. Engine runs like new and internals are clean. Average OCI was 7,500 miles.

Cost is the concern across the board for any brand. You have to make the oil as balanced as possible given all the options available. Amsoil uses GTL. You could make a PAO based oil with a dated additive system by loading up on cheap ZDP or boosting xyz. Doesn't mean it's better.
Now that we know that Amsoil uses Pearl GTL, there will be much weeping and gnashing of teeth and fanboi cast into darkness when it's learned that rail car loads of re-refined base oils are showing up at Superior, WI.
After this, I'm going to the movie Pulp Fiction for more inspirational quotes.

Back