Oil Shop Lied to me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to get an oil change at a local shop here in town, and all they do is oil and lubrication changes. They supposedly have a reputation for quick service (at least the lobby was nice).

Asked how much for an oil change, they said $29 bucks.

Then they asked me for what car and engine...I told them a 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid, 1.3 liter.

They responed, "Oh...that motor only takes synthetic. The cost will be $69 please." I said no thanks and left.

Now I know the weight specified is 0w30, but I don't see or hear anywhere where it says 'Synthetic' only must be used. Are they full of beans?

I've only used M1 or GC since I bought this car, and both oils seem fine.

GL

0w30 = synthetic.

There is no such thing as a 0w30 conventional oil, so if Honda says 0w30 only, then yes, you have to use synthetic.

I usually do my sons oil change but he took it to Valvoline without me knowing because of time issues,they insisted his 05 pontiac g6 with 3.5 was synthetic only, he ended up having them use conventional but they were not happy about it even told him he was going to void his warranty!
I checked the owners manual even though I knew better and they were wrong, I wish I would have been there!
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: hate2work

I can see them charging more for syn oil, that's OK, but $40 more? Something is wrong with that.

I think that engine specs 20 weight oil, doesn't it?

0w20, yes.

What's it say on the engine oil cap? 0w-30 sounds odd - I would think 0w-20. AFA lying or ripoff, Installer can charge what they want and you can elect not to pay or give them business - but YOU should know what oil the car takes (esp if you are a BITOG member!). Where did you get the M1 or GC (wrong grade!?) installed previously?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hate2work

I can see them charging more for syn oil, that's OK, but $40 more? Something is wrong with that.

I think that engine specs 20 weight oil, doesn't it?

Around here, that seems to be about the going price for a synthetic oil change (5 quarts plus filter.)My local jiffy lube sometimes has coupons in the paper for a $59.99 sythetic oil change.

How many quarts does your Honda Hybrid take? 3.5 quarts or maybe 4 quarts of oil at most? IMO....If so, that price is way too high considering high quality, out of the quart or jug oil, goes for a reasonable price at Wally World.

My bad...you are right, the cap says 0w20.

I also went to a shop last year which said, "Sorry...we can only use factory fill Honda oil, and that will be $7.50 per quart."

At the time I was stuck in a hard spot, so I had them do it anyway.

I know GC is pure synthetic, and M1 is a close second. Both worked fine in my car, although I think the gas milage was better with the GC.

Just wasn't expecting an oil shop to get persnickety. Guess like you said, when it says 0w20, it is automatically synthetic.

Mine used just under 4 quarts.

Back to doing my own changes from now on.
whistle.gif

GL

Last edited:
A $40 extra fee for synthetic instead of conventional is overly steep. They need to have more customers just walk away when they hear that, maybe that can help them justify bringing their prices down to true competitive levels. You could buy the required oil for less than $40 and given it to them for the oil change.

Vic

Dude, it's a quick lube place - $69 is pretty average for synthetic service (a ripp-off, but average nonetheless). Yes, $29 is average for a conventional change at a big name shop. Nothing surprising or crafty here. Synthetic oil averages about $25 for 5 quarts. Add the filter and you're around $29. How does the service station make any revenue if you're just paying them back for the oil? But I agree, $40 in labor to drain my oil, fill my washer fluid and "check" my belts & hoses (that they can't replace anyway)? No thanks!

Next time, buy your own synthetic and filter for about $25 bucks. If you don't DIY, Honda Service will change it for you - cost is about $12.00 for labor here in Texas. Bingo! you have a synthetic change for around $40 (at the dealership).

70 bux? Good lord! Go to WM,get a jug of M1 for $23,a filter for $5,and you just saved yourself $41!

Originally Posted By: HBCALI
Dude, it's a quick lube place - $69 is pretty average for synthetic service (a ripp-off, but average nonetheless). Yes, $29 is average for a conventional change at a big name shop. Nothing surprising or crafty here. Synthetic oil averages about $25 for 5 quarts. Add the filter and you're around $29. Did you want a free oil change? How does the service station make any revenue if you're just paying them back for the oil?

Look, you should familiarize yourself with your vehicle requirements before you immediately assume "bad faith" with a service department. My question: it's a 2005. Have you never changed the oil before? How did you miss that needed Synthetic?

Next time, buy your own synthetic and filter for about $25 bucks. If you don't DIY, Honda will change it for you - cost is about $12.00. Bingo! you have a synthetic change for around $40.

agree. its just business pricing. cant expect it all to be cheap.

i buy my own synthetic and filter and go to a local mechanic who charges me $10 to change it out. saves me the trouble of recycling the oil...

Yeah, $50 on up is the going rate for synthetic. So you're going to pay about double for a synthetic OC if you have a shop do it vs, doing it yourself. Heck, depending on sales, you can often do a synthetic OC yourself cheaper than a shop will do conventional OC.

Its good it wasn't me you got snippy with.

69.00 syn oil change. So what? 29.00 conventional, almost free.

Its amazing these shops can even stay in business with that price.

A jiffy shop costs about 30 k a year in property taxes. If its leased, its another 4k month. Add in liability insurance for those trolling for a lawsuit because they skated on a drop of oil. Or utilities and workers comp and its incredible they charge so little.
Go to some health care facility that costs the same to run, but there, you'll pay 1k for some minor procedure.

You fools should go [censored] about that rather than the 10.00 profit you think some guy shouldn't be making.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back