Oil Shop Lied to me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
$69 seems about right for a synthetic oil change....here in my neck of the woods, my local WM does a Full Synthetic Lube Oil and Filter change + top of all fluids and vacuum carpets and wash windshield for $55 though.....I'd definitely shop around.

As far as your car ONLY taking synthetic......I don't know about that.....I know a lot of the newer cars ARE coming off the assembly line with initial fills of "synthetic" of some sort.....but I'd definitely check your owners manual to see if "Synthetic" is REQUIRED under warranty.....

Actually, take-back. If your OIL FILLER CAP states 0w30 - that would mean "synthetic only" since the zero weight oils ARE synthetic only....heh.

But yea, definitely shop around. Some shops will even let you carry in your own oil and/or filter....to the point where you only have to pay the labor rate (generally $12-$20 or so, depending on the shop.....)

The nice thing about WM, is you can get a 5 quart full synthetic Royal Purple 5W-30 oil change for $55 :p After this rinse phase with MMO, I think I'm gonna give it a try....put a "tiger" in my tank :rarrrr!!: lol.

Synthetic just enhances mpg and cold re-starts, but only EVER so slightly.

I would use good normal oil and change it often. If it takes 20 weight, 5w-20 in winter and 5w-30 in summer....no turbo or extended drains = plain oil.

Originally Posted By: cryption
You want to run a synthetic in a hybrid. There are many start / stops of the engine - and it may never get to full operating temperature. A synthetic oil is better suited to handle the additional fuel in the oil and all the stop / starts.

I don't think Honda Hybrids could run on electric power alone until 2006. They were motor assist "mild hybrids"

I wonder if the difference between purchasing oil in drums verses quart containers would also bump the price up a good bit ? I may just be assuming on this part, but thinking the 0w-20 would be stored in quarts due to low demand..

If that were my car I would have no problem running a 5w-20 in it, however Honda also sets things like they want them, so you have to respect the shops changing the oil sticking with the requirements in the set by the manufacture. Heck if I can find the OEM Honda oil 0w-20 I would prob pick that above any off the shelf oils I have been running ( the good expensive 100% synthetic stuff) in my 02 accord/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back