Oil Shop Lied to me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bradepb
I usually do my sons oil change but he took it to Valvoline without me knowing because of time issues,they insisted his 05 pontiac g6 with 3.5 was synthetic only, he ended up having them use conventional but they were not happy about it even told him he was going to void his warranty!
I checked the owners manual even though I knew better and they were wrong, I wish I would have been there!
mad.gif

I live in Harrison Township (howdy neighbor) and am dying to know what place this occurred at? Sneaky!

Originally Posted By: poiuy223
saves me the trouble of recycling the oil...

Autozone, Advance Auto, Walmart and O'Reillys all take used motor oil (up to 5 gallons a day), free of charge, no hassle. Not to mention local municipalities that usually have hazardous waste days that take it too.

Last edited:
I still can't believe anybody pays $29 for a bulk oil change.

Gawd only knows what's actually in that bulk container. Sure, it says [insert brand name here]. But how do we know that they didn't cheap out and buy HD30?

Then there is their filter....orange can of death looks downright consistant in quality by comparison. At least the OCOD is the same month to month.

And do I really want someone else cranking on my drain plug with his rusty Chinese channel locks? Will the threads come back out with the plug the next time I do an oil change?

Another thing you probably should skip the GC in that engine, mighty thick oil for a hybrid. I guess if you don't lose mpg's it's OK. I would use M1AFE very good stuff, PU and EDGE 5w30's are thin also and will give you extended drain capability. I thought your car was spec'd for 0w20 though??

Pep-boys current add has a $10 off cupon for M1 oil (not ep) and M1 filter in house oil change, reg price: $69.99

if the car came synthetic from the factory and calls for a 0w20 why on earth would you use dino?

You want to run a synthetic in a hybrid. There are many start / stops of the engine - and it may never get to full operating temperature. A synthetic oil is better suited to handle the additional fuel in the oil and all the stop / starts.

Honda calls for synthetic for a reason. They aren't fools.

Change it yourself for $30, or buy the oil + filter and many places you can talk to a tech and he will do it as "side work" for $20.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Malo83
Can't believe people go to the local Quik Lube and expect to walk out Happy
crackmeup2.gif

crazy.gif

That is big price jump - maybe they charge a reasonable price but triple other stuff, like air for the tires.

I'm happy that there are quick lube places like Jiffy lube. There are too many people who would not know where to buy oil let alone how to drain, refill or change the filter.

Think of all the people who may use the wrong oil, drain the wrong fluid, pour the oil into the radiator instead of the crankcase. I bet there are lots of people out there.....and not women...who would have a real challenge changing oil or a oil filter.

So we have to be happy that these business's exist for those that need the service.

Honda had a service news or bulletin a couple years ago stating that they don't recommend synthetic oils in their engines. I'm pretty sure though the Acura RDX is factory synthetic and now when I search through Honda's dealer only publications that bulletin is nowhere to be found like they silently changed policy and made it disappear.
I'm tempted to call techline and ask a Honda engineer tomorrow...

I've personally had Civic Hybrids that had the wrong oil weight in them and they will set misfire code/s. I wouldn't run anything but 0W-20 but I've been brainwashed at the factory training center.

I did find some interesting article about 0W-20 oil and why they switched to it from 5W-30 if anyone wants to see it.

Originally Posted By: [email protected]
bradepb said:
I usually do my sons oil change but he took it to Valvoline without me knowing because of time issues,they insisted his 05 pontiac g6 with 3.5 was synthetic only, he ended up having them use conventional but they were not happy about it even told him he was going to void his warranty!
I checked the owners manual even though I knew better and they were wrong, I wish I would have been there!
mad.gif

"I live in Harrison Township (howdy neighbor) and am dying to know what place this occurred at? Sneaky!"

Hi neighbor! Dont know wich shop but it was downriver somewhere , he lives in Dearborn Heights.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gravygrabber

... I did find some interesting article about 0W-20 oil and why they switched to it from 5W-30 if anyone wants to see it.
Please, GravyG- Start another thread and post it (if it doesnt violate forum rules or copyrights). Thanks!

The one place I can tell you NOT to go is WalMart. I worked in that shop for 7 years. (wasted life I will never get back), and I would tell family and freinds to stay outta there. Ive seen Walmart flat out screw up someones engine, and get out of paying for it. And I mean this is in court too.

Two of the three guys at the local quick lube here just got out of prison. Come on, it's a $10/hr job. Don't go there. Buy a pan for a few bucks and do it yourself.

Quick lubes are garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back