Shadyish "performance shop" - Suspectful of Wrong Oil in GDI Engine

A good shop will put in what the customer asks for.

Any shop or dealer service center should honor your wants and respect your vehicle . I've had many that don't honor them . Customer courtesy is a thing of the past . Makes me cringe when service is needed or inspection arrives . It's the reason I started doing oil changes again .

Any shop or dealer service center should honor your wants and respect your vehicle . I've had many that don't honor them . Customer courtesy is a thing of the past . Makes me cringe when service is needed or inspection arrives . It's the reason I started doing oil changes again .
Not if my business has possible liability down the road/reprecussions from doing what the customer wants that is against what the manufacturer recommends. If your wants are v. particular/out of the normal scope best to just DIY.

There were no liability issues to apply to the services of many vehicles of past to present . Just your normal maintenance .

Hello everyone. I had an oil change done as well as an alignment at a so called "performance" shop. I told them several times I wanted full synthetic 5w-30. A comment was made by another person working there that makes me suspicious of what they actually put in my car. When I picked up my car and was talking to the manager about the oil type, the employee said to me "the tech said full synthetic can't be put in a car that is still in the break in period." Break in period was brought up because my car has a few more miles on the break in and I asked them to go easy on it on any test drives.
If the tech who did the oil change is thinking it can't take full synthetic, then I'm wondering what he actually put in there. I asked and the manager claimed "we only carry full synthetic. We don't have anything else."
I asked if I could see the empty bottles of oil and manager told me they come in large drums which he did not offer to show me. He said they had put in liqui moly spec tec, and the invoice says - "5w-30 spec tec".

I called black stone and asked if an analysis can differentiate between conventional and full synthetic and they told me no.

Looking through I can't find anything in the manual where it specifically calls for a full synthetic. The car is a 23 elantra n.
So my questions are
1) If indeed they put a conventional or a hybrid and not a full synthetic, will I be ok doing two track days in my car this weekend? My plan was to change the oil again immediately after the track days.
2) Does liqui molly make a conventional or hybrid oil?
Thanks for any help on this.

Just a Group III oil.

Maybe the shop thinks like Germans do and Group III oils can't be called synthetic.

Just a Group III oil.

Maybe the shop thinks like Germans do and Group III oils can't be called synthetic.
That is possible that folks often say "full synthetic" which can mean different things to different people.

I think you are really splitting hairs worrying about this oil change ! semi synthetic or full synthetic who cares i highly doubt the oil they use is a true synthetic anyhow.

Visit their website. They might have info on the oils they use. If indeed LM, I would feel comfortable with that.

Back