Oil recommendations for 1.5tsi

I would perform free oil changes VW offers and do in between OCI after 5k on my own using OE VW oil or any approved VW508.00/509.00 oil (keep receipts) with OE filter.
This is smart

I was able to pick up an addition 500 rpm of usable torque at high rpm and greatly reduce engine noise by "padding" the 508 weasel whizz with an appropriate higher HTHS lubricant. Just don't go too far.

1 lite substitution did it for me. My new-ish Jetta made it easy - it ate a litre of the fresh, costly 508 00 in a month :)

Motul used to call this "viscosity tailoring" in their 300V line of motorsports lubricants. Finding the sweet spot if you will.

Last edited:
I pulled the trigger on a 23 Jetta with the 1.5tsi. recommended is 0w20. Is this engine like other VW engines like the 2.0tsi that had 0/5w40 and then vw switched to 0w20? Or is 0w20 what is ideal for this engine? I'll run amsoil regardless.
I wouldn’t overthink it. VW has at least historically done a pretty good turbo 4. I would use whatever carries the current VW certification, but if it helps you sleep better, halve the interval and do it every 5k. Not that VW makes a bad car, but it is going to be all the other stuff that will generally start to nickel and dime you to death, not the motor itself. Congratulations on the new car and good luck with it.

possibly try pennzoil euro L 5w-30 ,wall mart has it at a good price,,would work fine in your car.

Stick to the VW508.00 approved oils during warranty. Do as you wish afterwards.
I ran VW508.00 in our 2.0T Passat for the most part and had no complaints. Not that you can really tell one way or the other.

I'm fairly certain the 508 spec requires a dye that's added to the oil to ensure the right oil was used ....I've read that online anyway.
The dye is to ensure that 508 00 oil is not used in engines for which it is not approved, not the other way around. An oil with a lower HT/HS can damage an engine but one with a higher HT/HS does not.

For my free oil changes at the dealership I asked them to use 504 00 oil instead of 508 00 an they did.

The dye is to ensure that 508 00 oil is not used in engines for which it is not approved, not the other way around. An oil with a lower HT/HS can damage an engine but one with a higher HT/HS does not.

For my free oil changes at the dealership I asked them to use 504 00 oil instead of 508 00 an they did.
I've heard it both ways. Seems like an easy way for them to deny a warranty if they do choose to

I've heard it both ways. Seems like an easy way for them to deny a warranty if they do choose to
VW indicated when 508 00 oil was introduced that it was not to be used in any vehicle that did not list it as an approved oil. This makes technical sense, not some Internet rumor.

And yes the old warranty scare that's pretty popular.

VW indicated when 508 00 oil was introduced that it was not to be used in any vehicle that did not list it as an approved oil. This makes technical sense, not some Internet rumor.

And yes the old warranty scare that's pretty popular.
It probably is. But if the manufacturer says to use 508.00 and we don't follow that they certainly could deny it. 🤷‍♂️

Back