Oil recommendations for 1.5tsi

I pulled the trigger on a 23 Jetta with the 1.5tsi. recommended is 0w20. Is this engine like other VW engines like the 2.0tsi that had 0/5w40 and then vw switched to 0w20? Or is 0w20 what is ideal for this engine? I'll run amsoil regardless.

In my opinion, I think increasing the oil viscosity wont net added engine life. What seems to help VAG gas powered vehicles long term is not going by VAG's 10K oil change interval. 5K oil changes might greatly prolong the lifespan of the timing chain and guides.

I can't recommend Amsoil. To me the cost doesn't outweigh the non existent in my opinion, so-called benefits.

I learned a few weeks ago on here Walmart started carrying Mobil1 ESP X2 0W20 in store $27.97 for a 5qt jug, $8.78 a quart. My nearest WM stocks it and that is what I'll use. It would be nice if more VAG owners that have VW508 vehicles buy their oil at Walmart to help keep it stocked.

In my opinion, I think increasing the oil viscosity wont net added engine life. What seems to help VAG gas powered vehicles long term is not going by VAG's 10K oil change interval. 5K oil changes might greatly prolong the lifespan of the timing chain and guides.

I can't recommend Amsoil. To me the cost doesn't outweigh the non existent in my opinion, so-called benefits.

I learned a few weeks ago on here Walmart started carrying Mobil1 ESP X2 0W20 in store $27.97 for a 5qt jug, $8.78 a quart. My nearest WM stocks it and that is what I'll use. It would be nice if more VAG owners that have VW508 vehicles buy their oil at Walmart to help keep it stocked.
Not many oils meet the new 508 spec. Also I believe it has a timing belt.

What's the oil capacity of that engine? Used to have a Toyota 1.5 L that held around 3.5 quarts. Now my V6 holds 6.5 quarts. 😮

I assumed there would be more replies by now. I guess everyone is busy. 😂😂
There are already a couple very long recent threads on this.

VW put bulk 502 00 5W40 in mine and the car ran terrible.
I ran Motul 508 00 509 00 with a litre of M1 0W40 FS as I deemed the 508 00 oil too light for best performance.
I had a 6 speed. Car ran fantastic with that combo for almost a year until I turned the lease in.

I pulled the trigger on a 23 Jetta with the 1.5tsi. recommended is 0w20. Is this engine like other VW engines like the 2.0tsi that had 0/5w40 and then vw switched to 0w20? Or is 0w20 what is ideal for this engine? I'll run amsoil regardless.
read this:

Not many oils meet the new 508 spec.

"Not many"? Hundreds with official VW 508 00 approval:

Also I believe it has a timing belt.

Yes, your EA211 evo uses a timing belt, but a dry one, not 'belt in oil' (like Ford's three-pots).

I'd just run VW 508 00 during warranty and after switch to VW 504 00. No more than 7,500 mls anyway.

"Not many"? Hundreds with official VW 508 00 approval:

Yes, your EA211 evo uses a timing belt, but a dry one, not 'belt in oil' (like Ford's three-pots).

I'd just run VW 508 00 during warranty and after switch to VW 504 00. No more than 7,500 mls anyway.
Not many that are easily available. Id also be surprised if it's hundreds in the USA but maybe it is. Either way not many are easily obtainable

Warranty? Mobil1 ESP 0W20 VW508.00/509.00.
After warranty: Mobil1ESP 0W30 or preferably Mobil1ESP 5W30 (Auto Zone and AAP $37+filter). VW504.00/507.00.
Both available in Wal Mart.

Warranty? Mobil1 ESP 0W20 VW508.00/509.00.
After warranty: Mobil1ESP 0W30 or preferably Mobil1ESP 5W30 (Auto Zone and AAP $37+filter). VW504.00/507.00.
Both available in Wal Mart.
Our parts stores can get it but it's not in stock. Walmart here doesn't carry it either. (Small town)

Our parts stores can get it but it's not in stock. Walmart here doesn't carry it either. (Small town)
Order online. Bottom line, fallow approval, NOT the grade! All oils that have those approvals are more sophisticated than your average API SP ILSAC GF6 oil off the shelf.
Don’t buy oils that claim “meet and exceed (though Pennzoil has that wording, although it is approved, like Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0W30 LX).

Lightweight oils, IMO, are for manufacturer fleet sticker MPG ratings. I see no reason why, them and others have went to light weight oil. I am sure you will find no real answers here.

If it were me, I would not run 0w20.

Reactions: wlk
Lightweight oils, IMO, are for manufacturer fleet sticker MPG ratings. I see no reason why, them and others have went to light weight oil. I am sure you will find no real answers here.

If it were me, I would not run 0w20.
What would you run?

What would you run?
I highly doubt you will have warranty problems using VW50400/507.00. But, if you want to avoid potential arguments with VW, I would perform free oil changes VW offers and do in between OCI after 5k on my own using OE VW oil or any approved VW508.00/509.00 oil (keep receipts) with OE filter.
After that use VW504.00/507.00 oils. These oils come only in 0/5W30 flavor. But, their HTHS is minimum 3.5cP, which puts them close to some XW40 oils (For example Mobil1 0W40 has HTHS of 3,6cP). HTHS is what matters, not grade.

I highly doubt you will have warranty problems using VW50400/507.00. But, if you want to avoid potential arguments with VW, I would perform free oil changes VW offers and do in between OCI after 5k on my own using OE VW oil or any approved VW508.00/509.00 oil (keep receipts) with OE filter.
After that use VW504.00/507.00 oils. These oils come only in 0/5W30 flavor. But, their HTHS is minimum 3.5cP, which puts them close to some XW40 oils (For example Mobil1 0W40 has HTHS of 3,6cP). HTHS is what matters, not grade.
I'm fairly certain the 508 spec requires a dye that's added to the oil to ensure the right oil was used ....I've read that online anyway.

What would you run?
I would run a thicker oil, one that would maintain the proper viscosity, maybe on the higher end of 20wt, through the entire usage cycle. That is something that you are going to have to figure out through analysis. But since you asked, I would start with 0w30.

In my experience with Amsoil, at least in my truck, it maintained viscosity perfectly, over 3 consecutive oil changes, of heavy use. It was nearly unchanged from data I got of a VOA of the same oil, in the same year. This was not a DI or turbo engine, but under extreme use.

In my opinion, the most important thing is viscosity, and keeping it in spec the entire usage cycle.

In conclusion, I would do a 3000 oci, and see where your engine is, in relation to viscosity change. If is changes to below 20wt, then run a 30wt next time. It will be a bit expensive in the short run, but if you plan of keeping the engine, that is what I would do.

Back