Oil recommendations changed. WHY?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone,

I run Amsoil signature series in my vehicles and the recommendation for my 09 Mercury Mariner V6 recently changed. Previously on Amsoil's website it recommended either their 5W20 or the 0W20. Trying to get the best gas mileage I started running 0W20, but when I went to reorder, they no longer recommend the 0W20 for my vehicle! The only recommended oil is the 5W20 and I am wondering why this would suddenly change? Am I doing damage to my vehicle by running another 10,000 miles on oil that is not recommended? (I'm 5,000 files into my 15,000 oil change)

Any thoughts on what I should do would be appreciated.

Joe

Why change is it is working? I am from Wisconsin and with the weather there I too would use a 0W20 oil.

I read on OW20 synthetic oil containers use when 5W20 is recommended.

No matter the oil considering the weather there I would not run in for 15,000 miles but that is just my opinion for what it is worth.

Instead of asking us, why don't you call Amsoil and ask them? Using a 0w20 where a 5w20 is specified will not hurt the engine, regardless of oil brand.

My first concern was that they changed the recommendation due to it damaging the engine or another concern. The more I think about it, they may just change it because they didn't see much of a difference between the two and performance.

Amsoil Fully Synthetic is supposed to get between 15,000 and 25,000 miles depending on your usage. I err on the side of caution and do a filter change at 7500, and a complete oil change at 15,000.

Joe

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Instead of asking us, why don't you call Amsoil and ask them? Using a 0w20 where a 5w20 is specified will not hurt the engine, regardless of oil brand.

+1

This. Call Amsoil and find out.

They are just following the spec recommended by Ford. You would need to contact Ford abut the spec.

Ford changed the spec to "SAE 5W-20 meeting specification Ford WSS-M2C930-A" in the "2009 Mariner Owners Guide, 2nd Printing"

-------------------------------------------------------------

1999 OLDS GLS

Originally Posted By: carwreck
They are just following the spec recommended by Ford. You would need to contact Ford abut the spec.

Ford changed the spec to "SAE 5W-20 meeting specification Ford WSS-M2C930-A" in the "2009 Mariner Owners Guide, 2nd Printing"

1999 OLDS GLS

Except SSO doesn't meet that spec anyway, so why would they (Amsoil) change it?

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

1999 OLDS GLS

The AMSOIL web administrator is just using some master file provided by an external web site. AMSOIL is not making up its own spec for a Mercury.

The programmers/database administrators of the AMSOIL website are not doing a cross-reference check for the manufacture specification number.
It only looks up SAE values.

Example for the 2009 Mercury when you use Amsoil search...

Engine Oil
Grade 1......API*[1]
Maximum Performance SAE 5W-20 Signature Series 100% Synthetic Motor Oil (ALMQT) SAE 5W-20 Signature Series 100% Synthetic Motor Oil (ALMQT)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

1999 OLDS GLS

The AMSOIL web administrator is just using some master file provided by an external web site. AMSOIL is not making up its own spec for a Mercury.

The programmers/database administrators of the AMSOIL website are not doing a cross-reference check for the manufacture specification number.
It only looks up SAE values.

Example for the 2009 Mercury when you use Amsoil search...

Engine Oil
Grade 1......API*[1]
Maximum Performance SAE 5W-20 Signature Series 100% Synthetic Motor Oil (ALMQT) SAE 5W-20 Signature Series 100% Synthetic Motor Oil (ALMQT)

Yes, but did Ford ever have 0w20 listed? I mean neither oil is "approved" for this application, so it puzzles me why they would remove the one grade based on Ford's spec revision.

I think it's just an artifact of Amsoil's website search logic. Just for laughs I checked out the oil rec's for my Freestyle (same engine as the OP's, but without VVT). The 0W20 was removed as well.

Obviously it's not because the 0W20 is "too thin", since it's actually thicker that the oil Ford specs, by a pretty good chuck (2.8 hths vs. 2.6).

So, there's absolutely no reason not to use this oil in a Duratec 3.0.

Originally Posted By: JOD
So, there's absolutely no reason not to use this oil in a Duratec 3.0.
The only *possible* reason would be if you're really paranoid about your warranty. Since Ford doesn't specifically authorise a 0W-20, there *might* be the smallest chance of a warranty issue if you had a lubrication-related failure.

But if that's the case, you shouldn't be running AMSOIL at all, since it's not "API listed"...

You are correct about a fluke in their website searches...

For example, they will list the 0 weight first regardless of the actual oil recommended in your manual if you search by vehicle in yahoo.

http://www.synthetic-motor-oil-change-and-filters.com/recommended-oil/MERCURY/2009/MARINER/3.0L/G/

If you search on the vehicle directly on the website, you get the FORD recommended 5w20.
It does say "Manufacturer recommends motor oil that is formulated to meet Ford specification WSS-M2C930-A.", but AMSOIL does not tell you that their recommended oil does not meet this spec.

http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/ProductRe...RCURY+MARINER+G

So from what everyone is saying, I could still run the 0w20 in my engine without issue?

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back