Oil recommendation for a 2004 Dodge RAM 1500 HEMI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to put in a synthetic oil this weekend. I'd like to see if the forum has some recommendations.

1. What kind of vehicle you have
2004 Dodge RAM 1500 with a V-8 5.7L HEMI

2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well
5W-30 at 3,000 miles

3. Where you live
Sacramento, CA where it gets down to the low 30's in the winter. Truck is parked outside.

4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?)
Fairly easy, occasionally I'll hit the gas. I only put on about 6,000 miles a year.

5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?)
The truck is only used on weekends for work with a combination of city and highway driving. Truck has a towing capacity of 10,000 lbs., I tow a small cargo trailer under 2,000 lbs. loaded.

6. Whether your car has any known problems
Nothing significant

You are going to get a lot of opinions.
36.gif

Any good quality synthetic should work fine for a 1 year/6000 mile interval.

I use Amsoil, but I've heard several folks getting really good results with the HEMI when using Pennzoil Platinum.

Originally Posted By: Brieninsac
Any compelling reason to change weights?

None I can think of....

Pennzoil Yellow Bottle with a Purolator PL30001 change at 3K (twice a year). My Hemi runs quiet without any ticking.

I currently use Pennzoil "Platinum" in 5W-30 on my 01' Dodge Durango 4.7 liter V-8 engine. I drive it pretty easy to get the best MPG out of it. I suggest you keep your air filter clean and clean the throttle body once per year to keep the mileage figure up. That Ram you have will eat gas like morning breakfast!!

Durango

One might guess you are thinking of one, considering that's the only requirement you are questioning.

And your owner's manual actually tells you to change the oil every 3,000 miles with your driving profile?

Originally Posted By: Brieninsac
Any compelling reason to change weights?

When I had a HEMI Ram I would change the oil at 6K with a WIX filter and whatever conventional that was on sale. Use of a synthetic that is not on sale for this short of a OCI is just a waste of money IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back