Oil Recommendation Following Sticky Guidelines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
I recently just purchased a new vehicle and wanted some thoughts on which oil would be the best option for the questions that were in the “Best Oil Sticky Thread”. I would be looking for a full synthetic based oil that offers SUPERIOR wear protection when driving the vehicle “hard”, but also enables for decent gas mileage as well. With the information I have provided below please give me your thoughts and opinions on which would be a superior choice. Thanks!!!!
1. What kind of vehicle do you have?
Answer: 2013 Honda Civic SI 2.4 Liter 4 cylinder with six speed manual transmission.

2. What does my owner’s manual say regarding viscosity and certifications along with change intervals?
Answer: My owner’s manual recommends “Genuine Honda Motor oil, Premium-grade 0W-20 detergent oil with an API certification seal on the container”. It also states that I may also use synthetic motor oil if it is labeled with the API Certification Seal and is the specified viscosity grade. The manual recommends following the Oil Life monitoring system and change according to its recommendations. However, I will be changing my oil every 5,000 miles no exceptions period.

3. Where do I live?
Answer: I live in North Carolina in Moore County which is the lower middle portion of the state.

4. How do I drive?
Answer: I have a combination driving habit. Some days I feel like just driving it like I stole it and others I feel like driving “Normally” no harsh accelerations etc. It is about 50/50 with both styles.

5. What is your daily commute like?
Answer: It depends on where I am going, but for the most part I have medium trip lengths. It takes about 27mins to get to my work and I work 4 days a week. I normally don’t do many “short trips”.

6. Does my car have any known problems?
Answer: I sure as heck hope not I just bought it.

Pretty straightforward with this, stick to a 0W-20, and just get a quality synthetic.

The Toyota OEM synthetic 0W-20 I know gets a particularly good rap around here, often called TGMO. I know for me at least, its rather cheap in contrast to other synthetics off the shelf, so I use it.

Unsure if Pennzoil Ultra or any other of the brands are common down there in the 0W-20 flavour, but at the very least, you have no reason to change viscosity or anything to fix a problem that doesn't exist and put your warranty at risk. Just putting that one to bed before anyone rushes in to argue 0W-20 is evil.

But for as short of OCI's as you're running, if you're insisting on a synthetic, you can essentially get anything and you'll be completely golden.

Last edited:
I know that here in NC you can reliably get Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1 in 0w-20 in most walmarts for $25 or $22.47 respectively for a 5qt jug. I just put some of the Pennzoil in our '12 Pilot since the Mobil was out of stock and have nothing negative to report. Seem like they'd do the job and be pretty easy to come by too.

First off honda's oil life monitor is pretty accurate. Dismissing it and taking the 5000 mile interval stand will do nothing but cost you money,in dumping oil that isn't depleted.
And since you have to use a 0w-20 that means its a synthetic and will cost more than their conventional counterparts.
Conventional will do the 5000 mile interval you seem so attached to however because of your warranty you can't use it.
And iirc Honda uses a very special break in oil and they are very specific about not changing it early. I suggest before deciding you know better than the guys who designed and built your car perhaps following their instructions might be a prudent choice.
As far as 0w-20 grade oils go tgmo,Mazda,Subaru,the oem oils are all very good.
As far as off the shelf oils go any of them will be fine.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
First off honda's oil life monitor is pretty accurate. Dismissing it and taking the 5000 mile interval stand will do nothing but cost you money,in dumping oil that isn't depleted.
And since you have to use a 0w-20 that means its a synthetic and will cost more than their conventional counterparts.
Conventional will do the 5000 mile interval you seem so attached to however because of your warranty you can't use it.
And iirc Honda uses a very special break in oil and they are very specific about not changing it early. I suggest before deciding you know better than the guys who designed and built your car perhaps following their instructions might be a prudent choice.
As far as 0w-20 grade oils go tgmo,Mazda,Subaru,the oem oils are all very good.
As far as off the shelf oils go any of them will be fine.

Thank you all very much for your suggestions. Clevy, I never said I "Thought" I know more or better than the guys who designed or built my car. I just said I am going to change my oil every 5000 miles and this will be done for my own personal reasons. I just wanted some thoughts on which oil might be best as Mobil 1 has a 0W-20 Advance Fuel Economy type oil, but I wasn't sure if this would offer superior wear protection especially during harsh driving. I may just go with Honda's Full Synthetic oil and be done with it. Thanks again for all of your thoughts!

Truckin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back