Oil Rec - 5w30 for my 5w20 spec vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
2002 ford f-350 130k miles...

Just wondering what the consensus is most recently with the changes to mobil super 5000.

I plan on changing at 4-5k intervals

Would prefer a syn blend if possible, and somthing along the "thin" line as far as 5w30's go.

JC

Originally Posted By: Jameson
Would prefer a syn blend if possible, and somthing along the "thin" line as far as 5w30's go.

Mobil Super 5000 High Mileage 5W-30 is a syn blend and ready to go. It'll have a blue cap on the bottle.

Just wondering what the consensus is most recently with the changes to mobil super 5000.

JC

Why do you need a syn blend for 4-5k intervals. Unless you qualify as severe service of course.
As far as thin goes look at the hths. That number represents resistance when hot. For example. A European oil needs a minimum hths of 3.5. I believe that's the thinnest a 40 grade can go.

I would never use less than a Syn Blend personally.

For the minimal extra outlay over a dino oil i can only see positives.

If for example you are coming close to your 5k oci and need to go on a long journey. No need to worry if using synblend or semi synth. Just go and change when your return.

I use full synth pretty much solely these days.

Have used synblend Maxlife 10w40 in Clio before but found it slow to turnover when cold in winter. It has started fine with 10w40 semi synth in winter

I change the Jag in between OE 16k intervals with full synth C1 5w30. Pathfinder also gets 5k changes usually. Though the current fill has been run to 8.5k so far. Due to using full synth this is fine as OE oci is 18k.

As far as hths goes Clevy do you get the reduced hths fuel economy oils in Canada/NA?

Without double checking 5w30 A1/B1 A5/B5 has hths below 3.0, but 5w30 A3/B3/B4 has hths of above 3.5

I would stay with a 5W20 conventional. I had a 2003 F150 5.4L 2V and towed my Jeep across the country with Napa 5W20 conventional (including I70 in the Rockies). No real need for anything special in this engine design.

JC

Maxlife syn blend 5w30

If you are looking to curtail oil consumption, you should be looking at the various High Mileage oil options instead of going up in grade.

Of course you can always do both.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doog

JC

Maxlife syn blend 5w30

X2

The whole syn blend thing is retarded..

most of the name brand
"conventional" oils are better than syn blends a few years back.
or could be called syn blend-by definition(PYB comes to mind)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
The whole syn blend thing is retarded..

most of the name brand
"conventional" oils are better than syn blends a few years back.
or could be called syn blend-by definition(PYB comes to mind)

Following your train of thought, the argument would be FOR syn-blends now.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
If you are looking to curtail oil consumption, you should be looking at the various High Mileage oil options instead of going up in grade.

Of course you can always do both.

I am not looking to curtail consumption. My last fill (which I am ashamed to admit I ran out to 7000 miles) was with Mobil SUper HM blend 5w20. No problems starting all winter and it cured a tiny little oil weep that I had. It has been in since late october 2013.

Over this 7000 mi period I used 1 1/2 quarts of oil, which I refilled with mobil super 5000 (not hm) 5w30. Since I did a fair amount of driving in the snow, and 4wd for fishing the beach last october/november, I do consider this severe duty.

I plan on running this oil for a short cycle (ms5k 5w20) and changing to something for 5k changes or so in the syn blend - perhaps HM - 5w30 on the thin side.

I am under the impression that the mobil super HM syn blend is a "thick" oil compared to it's competitors... I have no complaints about the product, but I don't think I would do full syn HM oil on a long OCI unless I was to use a different filter than the MC FL820-s that I prefer, and I don't trust other filters on this engine from what I have read here and elsewhere.

JC

JC

Last edited:
The FL820S is a good filter and can easily go 10K. IMHO you cant use a better filter in this engine.
My own experience with these engines is 5w20 works well in them but if you have to have a 5w30 i would go with PP or Mobil 1 0w30 and stretch the OCI to 7500, these are not hard on oil.

These oils really do a good job of cleaning up the engine including the ring area, i noticed the engine was running quieter and smoother as time went by.
About a year later it felt and sounded like a different engine when cold.

I am under the impression that the mobil super HM syn blend is a "thick" oil compared to it's competitors... I have no complaints about the product, JC

It's not, its "Resource Conserving" IIRC. Thick for grade HM oils are down to Pennzoil, Defy and M1 HM as far as I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back