Oil prices Syn vs Dino lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not so much specifics...but was it alarmingly low vs the other oils that had been used?
The problem was not pressure so much as just oil was to thin....from what I read when Mobil 1 first came out this was a common problem that they tried to keep very hush hush about.....years later i read about a Jag owner same thing happened to.
Good reading

Sorry....somebody wanted detail....cant please everyone....yes...it was a crappy engine....but when it ran it sure sounded good....although in the UK there are many Stags still running 45 plus years with the same 3.0 crappy engine.
No, that wasn't too much info. I found it informative.

That’s why the owners manual is important.
Where you even alive back then? first question
Its said 10w 40 in Triumph owners first ......Mobil one "ADVERTISED" that their 5w 20 would work in ANY car .....10w 30 10w 40 20w 50 etc. or 30 weight.
Regardless of what the OWNERS MANUAL stated and would last for 25000 miles.....
I dont how to put it in any simpler terminology than that.....
they did not test their oil well /long or in enough brands of motors enough to make such bold advertisements....

Yes they had class action lawsuits on them for engine failure.....i was one of them.
Back then 2500 to 3000 was normal for oil change.
Mobil one was 3 to 4 times the cost of reg oil.

Its said 10w 40 in Triumph owners first ......Mobil one "ADVERTISED" that their 5w 20 would work in ANY car .....10w 30 10w 40 20w 50 etc. or 30 weight.
they did not test their oil well /long or in enough brands of motors enough to make such bold advertisements....

Yes they had class action lawsuits on them for engine failure.....i was one of them.
The introduction of the Mobil product you're going on about was pre-HT/HS but if it was measured it would have had a value that was much higher than what is today's 20-grade products. Since J300 has been revised you cannot compare the grade designations of those oils to a modern 20-grade. So yes you could use it to replace most any oil on the market at the time. Your unsubstantiated statement that the oil was the cause of the failure is just that, an unsubstantiated statement (as is the claim the oil was insufficiently tested). Did your friend run the oil to 25,000 miles and this was somehow correlated to the failure?

Your claim is like every other one on here that states some brand caused their engine to "blow up" or fail. You give no actual evidence of that whatsoever just some weird anti-brand fetish. We see it all the time, just replace "Castrol" or "Valvoline" or "Quaker State" for Mobil in this instance.

Last edited:

Seems like I touched a noive? Yes I was around then too and back then like now I didn’t believe everything I heard or read.

But you can continue with your anti Mobil 1 screed.

The problem was not pressure so much as just oil was to thin....from what I read when Mobil 1 first came out this was a common problem that they tried to keep very hush hush about.....years later i read about a Jag owner same thing happened to.
Good reading
Thinner oil will have lower oil pressure...unless you're at the regulation point. I just wondered what the comparison was.... like 30psi at idle with thick oil and 10psi with the Mobil. I ran a number of US V8 engines back in the 60s on 20w and they were fine.

Seems like I touched a noive? Yes I was around then too and back then like now I didn’t believe everything I heard or read.

But you can continue with your anti Mobil 1 screed.
Yes .....I was out an engine because of false advertisements......not happy.....and it took 4 months to get another one (engine).....so the car sat for 16 months.....I was out 5500 bucks.....lots of money back then to a senior in high school kid.....should have bought a trans am like everybody else did in 75
I will go to my grave having never bought one quart more of M1....

Thinner oil will have lower oil pressure...unless you're at the regulation point. I just wondered what the comparison was.... like 30psi at idle with thick oil and 10psi with the Mobil. I ran a number of US V8 engines back in the 60s on 20w and they were fine.
Noooo....it was not that big of a diff if i was running castrol 10w 40 vs M1 back then was 5w 20 im sure.....i remember the cans back then.......plus it was expensive.

I dunno.

Based on this Mobil 1 video, I'd say it probably does destroy engines.

I mean geez... what a bad marketing idea. :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back