Oil prices Syn vs Dino lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
I delivered oil years ago and Harley shops liked Kendall 20-50. I think we used 20-50 in dirt bike motors with no problem. I only remember one oil I really didn't like. I tried Castrol on my street bike and it started making an engine noise. When I drained it (right away) it came out like water. After the oil change, the noises went away.

I dunno.

Based on this Mobil 1 video, I'd say it probably does destroy engines.

I mean geez... what a bad marketing idea. :LOL:

Gee Whizz......back in 1974 it caused them to burn up the cams and crankshaft .....first claiming it could go 25k miles without changing
second you would save money because it got better gas mileage running thinner oils regardless of what the manufacture spec'ed .....however it didn;t seem to hurt or be detrimental to Japanese engines compared to American and in my case UK....Because Japan used much tighter clearances in their builds.
These was the finding in the class action lawsuit filed filled against Mobil oil corp in 1975 in State of California vs Mobil Oil for false advertising.
Mobil Oil dropped the 25k oil change crap immediately.....and then changed to "always use manufacture recommended oil viscosity" vs. Mobil 1 will save you money and no mention of it before....except for use in all engines.

Gee Whizz......back in 1974 it caused them to burn up the cams and crankshaft .....first claiming it could go 25k miles without changing
second you would save money because it got better gas mileage running thinner oils regardless of what the manufacture spec'ed .....however it didn;t seem to hurt or be detrimental to Japanese engines compared to American and in my case UK....Because Japan used much tighter clearances in their builds.
These was the finding in the class action lawsuit filed filled against Mobil oil corp in 1975 in State of California vs Mobil Oil for false advertising.
Mobil Oil dropped the 25k oil change crap immediately.....and then changed to "always use manufacture recommended oil viscosity" vs. Mobil 1 will save you money and no mention of it before....except for use in all engines.
Can you provide a link to that class action lawsuit? I'd like to read the details, I searched for it but was unable to locate the one you're referencing.

Unless of course I'm on ignore which is what I'm starting to suspect since you never respond to any of my comments.

Any time a poster wishes to blame a specific brand as causing a failure (especially when it is the usual suspect) you can safely ignore that statement.
Are you addressing me? or gmh101358

So 40 forty plus years ago, Mobil comes out with a low viscosity oil, and states due to its high film strength you can use it in 30 grade applications and come to find out that some instances, in situ, NO you cannnot

Who is to blame here?

Stop calling people liars - honest folks that are obviously Not trolls.

"I don't believe it! they blamed the vaunted "EXxon Mobil " so they must be Idiots!"

Now THERE is some poor logic.

Now THERE is a suspect post.
- Ken

So 40 forty plus years ago, Mobil comes out with a low viscosity oil, and states due to its high film strength you can use it in 30 grade applications and come to find out that some instances, in situ, NO you cannnot

Who is to blame here?

"I don't believe it! they blamed the vaunted "EXxon Mobil " so they must be Idiots!"

- Ken
I have no clue what you're going on about, I think you can figure out whom I'm addressing by the quote I made in my post. I wanted to see the text of the class action lawsuit that was mentioned and semi-referenced.

I did use Mobil 1 back in 1979 and I have used it since but not lately. I'm not a shill for ExxonMobil (or just Mobil back then).

Now there is some logic.

I have no clue what you're going on about, I think you can figure out whom I'm addressing by the quote I made in my post. I wanted to see the text of the class action lawsuit that was mentioned and semi-referenced.

I did use Mobil 1 back in 1979 and I have used it since but not lately. I'm not a shill for ExxonMobil (or just Mobil back then).

Now there is some logic.
My post was a little slow to come online so the time line was messed up.
I was addressing your 'ignore the ususal suspects' statement

Well forgive me....I cant send you a link....my father filled the suit in Orange county I think or maybe L.A.
....My mother had a copy of it somewhere before she died 17 years ago....but what happened to it....I have no idea....My guess since it was 46 years ago it was thrown out....I cant even remember how much he got. If you really want to find it so bad I would call orange county or it could have been L.A. county....Im sure its own microfilm somewhere if you want to pay money to look at it that bad.
My question is why do you care so much about it? Do you work for Exxon/Mobil?
In all honesty its so long ago I dont give a rats a$$ about it anymore. All Im saying what happened to me when Autosports in Scottsdale AZ service dept told me to try this new "Mobil One" snake oil they just got vs Castrol....and it burned up the engine in 500 miles. I remember my father telling dont believe everything new that comes along and he was a offshore drilling engineer for Conoco oil....
I dont know how old you are but we didn't have cell phones to takes pics back in 1975. Im sure Autosports did but they have been out of biz for 40 years ....lastly I really dont care what you think....good day

Who is to blame here?

- Ken
Thank you....WTH is that guys problem?

kschachn is a defender of FACTS and LOGIC. But sometimes he is a bit overzealous.

Not everyone is a troll.
Like I said in MY post way up the thread, I tried the oil, made my engine noisy and I dumped it immediately.
I was a Professional Mechanic then working on my B.S. in M.E. in the late 70's and early 80s'
I know bad engine sounds when I hear them, and took immediate action.
2.8L V6 with rochester varajet carb in early 80's Chevy S10 shot box std. cab w/t with the original big port heads and a 4 speed asian MT
Good Motor. Never a problem. Good truck other than it's rusting painted bumpers

I was asking you to substantiate a reference you made, one that included technical details about Japanese engines having tighter clearances and that the oil caused burning up the cams and crankshafts. The one that you apparently cannot substantiate. Now it "burned up" the engine in 500 miles??

Gee whiz. People come on here and make all sorts of significant claims and then cannot back up any of it with any sort of substantive evidence whatsoever, then blame those who asked for such information.

I'm not the one with a problem. You haven't backed up one thing you've claimed in this thread. Not one.

He is a defender of FACTS and LOGIC. But sometimes he is a bit overzealous.

Not eveyone is a troll.
Like I said in MY post way up the thread, I tried the oil, made my engine noisy and I dumped it immediately.
I was a Professional Mechanic then working on my B.S. in M.E. in the late 70's and early 80s'
I know bad engine sounds when I hear them, and took immediate action.
2.8L V6 with rochester Varajet in early 80's Chevy S10 shot box std. cab with non smog/FE heads and a 4 speed asian MT
Good Motor. Never a problem.
The V-8 stag was a bad engine from the start.....of course i didn't know that back in 74 when i bought it.....when it ran it was a blast to drive....the key word "when it ran" and never drive it unless you can push it home. I was a pain to work on and very hard if not impossible to change the oil without taking the A.C. unit out.....thats why i took to the Triumph/Jag dealer to have the oil changed....when they told me about the new oil that can go 25k miles....wow i jumped it.....maybe i can only change it once a year! was the main reason i paid the insane price of 70 bucks back then....and i was a senior in high school so that was a huge sum of money to me. Like my father said dont believe everything that comes out....should have stuck with Castrol maybe i would still have the car. I still love the looks of them.

I was asking you to substantiate a reference you made, one that included technical details about Japanese engines having tighter clearances and that the oil caused burning up the cams and crankshafts. The one that you apparently cannot substantiate. Now it "burned up" the engine in 500 miles??

Gee whiz. People come on here and make all sorts of significant claims and then cannot back up any of it with any sort of substantive evidence whatsoever, then blame those who asked for such information.

I'm not the one with a problem. You haven't backed up one thing you've claimed in this thread. Not one.
Well, it was unfortunate, but that engine was going to die, and the Mobil Synthetic let it die with dignity.

AFA the constant claim on this forum and many others that "engine 50 years ago were built with wide clearances and tolerences" - I haven't found this to be true on std passenger car engines that I have worked on -
at least in factory manual specification. I'm sure now and then there are production outliers - as is predictable.

I Just rebuilt a 1967 Buick 340 V8 and that has quite respectable and tight clearances.

The V-8 stag was a bad engine from the start.....of course i didn't know that back in 74 when i bought it..... Like my father said dont believe everything that comes out....should have stuck with Castrol maybe i would still have the car. I still love the looks of them.
I may have a brochure. My dad and I would go to the British Leyland dealership in Lowell Ma. to look at sports cars.
The Stag was gorgeous - and pricey.
We test sat a TVR. I would call it a motorsports car allowed for the street
I don't recall if it was a '72 Vixen or a '73 2500 - or both!

TVR.jpg

Well, it was unfortunate, but that engine was going to die, and the Mobil Synthetic let it die with dignity.

AFA the constant claim on this forum and manaany others that "engine 50 years ago were built with wide clearances and tolerences" - I haven't found this to be true on std passenger car engines that I have worked on -
at least in factory manual specification. I'm sure now and then there are production outliers - as is predictable.

I Just rebuilt a 1967 Buick 340 V8 and that has quite respectable and tight clearances.
Really what about British cars?....from whats ive read lots where almost hand built....other than that one Triumph and another kid I knew in HS had a MGB that was always broke also....I have no experience with cars made in UK. The Stag was suppose to be 2 Saab 4 cyl engine joined together from what i read.
My 74 Datsun Pickup I bought a few months used before i bought the Stag was one of the best cars I ever had....If not for getting hit in it....im sure it would still be chugging along. I think Japanese cars were better then than today....today Nissans and their auto trans are junk....I would never buy one today.

I may have a brochure. My dad and I would go to the British Leyland dealership in Lowell Ma. to look at sports cars.

View attachment 44061
Wow ....I worked for IBM in Toronto in server sales my last gig was selling to Ivy league schools in MA been in Lowell many times.....TVR had a Rover in engine right?

View attachment 44061
I bought the stag used with 2 tops, mag wheels and elec overdrive on the gear shift lever it had close to 9k miles....I would tell all my goofy friends in high school its like James Bond car in Goldfinger you flick the switch and you will go flying out the top....lots really believed me.
My grandfather had died and left the grandkids some money....its how I bought a Rolex Sub and the Stag plus i worked all through HS....plus I had a motorcross bike and an enduro in HS ....I was a lucky kid.

Well forgive me....I cant send you a link....my father filled the suit in Orange county I think or maybe L.A.
....My mother had a copy of it somewhere before she died 17 years ago....but what happened to it....I have no idea....My guess since it was 46 years ago it was thrown out....I cant even remember how much he got. If you really want to find it so bad I would call orange county or it could have been L.A. county....Im sure its own microfilm somewhere if you want to pay money to look at it that bad.
My question is why do you care so much about it? Do you work for Exxon/Mobil?
In all honesty its so long ago I dont give a rats a$$ about it anymore. All Im saying what happened to me when Autosports in Scottsdale AZ service dept told me to try this new "Mobil One" snake oil they just got vs Castrol....and it burned up the engine in 500 miles. I remember my father telling dont believe everything new that comes along and he was a offshore drilling engineer for Conoco oil....
I dont know how old you are but we didn't have cell phones to takes pics back in 1975. Im sure Autosports did but they have been out of biz for 40 years ....lastly I really dont care what you think....good day
I remember those days very well. I even remember when Mobil Corp made National news with their synthetic/25000 mile claim. I also remember, sometime later, news of engine failures associated with their product..I never used it back then. I just grabbed whatever was cheaper for my burner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back