Oil prices Syn vs Dino lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember those days very well. I even remember when Mobil Corp made National news with their synthetic/25000 mile claim. I also remember, sometime later, news of engine failures associated with their product..I never used it back then. I just grabbed whatever was cheaper for my burner.
I learned a VERY EXPENSIVE lesson. I was lucky my father bailed me out by paying the diff to get the car running again....with the agreement i would sell it as fast as I could....and did and forgot expensive British cars on a High School budget.....had to stick with my 74 Datsun truck after that.

It's amazing how people can have such clear memories of something that apparently has no evidence of ever happening.

If anyone ever finds any sort of reference to this mass extinction of engines (within 500 miles even), or that it was due to Japanese engines having tighter clearances, or to the class action suit out of California please post links. Thanks.

It's amazing how people can have such clear memories of something that apparently has no evidence of ever happening.

If anyone ever finds any sort of reference to this mass extinction of engines (within 500 miles even), or that it was due to Japanese engines having tighter clearances, or to the class action suit out of California please post links. Thanks.

I have no reference but my memory and that is spotty. 😳

As I recall, M1 was pretty expensive so not too many people were jumping at the opportunity to try it. The big problem was with those who had been running regular oil for many years and miles. In those days sludge was practically inevitable in some form. Changing to M1 caused problems mainly by cleaning that sludge too well which ended up causing bigger problems. If a person started to use M1 from near the beginning then there were no issues.

A lot of people forget that the conventional oils of that time had their issues thus the 3k/3 month oil change regimen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back