I was in my local Wal-Mart and was looking at oil and noticed the selection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its inventory time of year at many stores. I seem to see this at the start of the New Year before things stock back up.

Also agree with others, even though I have countless Walmarts near me, sometimes I order oil from Walmart on line if they have exactly what I want and the particular oil is not stocked nearby.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ChevyMan2015
We have three Walmart Super Centers in my area here in Arkansas and they all carry huge oil selections. Everything you can think of except Havoline products.

While I agree the selection of different brands may be down, the selection you have will probably be different than a store a hundred miles away from you.
I have three stores that are within 25 miles of me. One of these stores has the new 6-quarts-of-Havoline in a box with the plastic liner, the other two do not.
I also know of a store that's close to where my daughter lives that still carries TropArtic, or the new Shield Choice, an oil that most other WalMart stores no longer carry.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Check back in April when the weather warms up some.

Agree! Beginning in April (decent weather) is when the upper half of the USA gets back to changing their own oil and Walmart shelves will be fully stocked.

If it doesn't sell well, they don't re-stock.

Originally Posted by dishdude
These are all things you'd see at the Thomas and 36th St Walmart.

That one and the one on 75th Ave & McDowell. Whoa, I've shopped there at night...

On line is so easy, especially as I have little time to shop right now in my life.
I usually buy 2 or 3 jugs and filters. Sometimes I add Raison Bran.

Originally Posted by ekpolk
Coincidentally, I did an oil section recon at the 20th street Walmart in Vero Beach tonight and had a similar impression. They did have Havoline, even in high mileage flavor, but only a couple grades. Mobil-1, Castrol and Pz seem to be the main players now. WM is so big that its shelving choices probably influence the market, but no doubt, customer choices are also a major force determining what's on the shelves.

BTW, I rarely buy oil at WM. With either oil change specials, military discount or occasionally both (double dipping if I can!), I do better at AZ or AA. And both have much nicer oil walls! ...ðŸ‘

I haven't seen you on here for awhile, ekpolk. It's good to see you back.

I shop the WM of Boise for oil. They pretty much have the same brands across all stores. PZ, QS, Castrol, ST, M1, RP seem to pop into my memory. Grades of oil seem to go from 0w20 on up to 10w30. Don't recall any 40 weights. I went out to California to visit family and found the WM there had some Chevron Supreme which is absent here. I grabbed a couple of 5w30 jugs and brought them home to Idaho. Heck they were cheaper than ST conventional. Changed oil yesterday in my F150 and in the Chevron went.

I remember the old days I would drain the old then go to get a filter and some oil. Those days are gone. I think of all the time I wasted going back and forth! When I find a good deal I usually buy about 5 of the gallon jugs or more just so I don't have to run out right away. I always keep a good stash on hand of oil and filters.

Originally Posted by tomcat27
Wal-Mart doesn't try to stock every brand. instead they stock the most popular and high volume items. I'm surprised they have as many SKU's as they do.

"Like"

Yeap, Walmart isn't too concerned with giving you a huge selection, they want to move volume. From a Walmart purchasing standpoint, it's not difficult to understand that they have more buying power going to Castrol, Mobil 1, Valvoline, and a couple other brands and offering to buy more volume vs going to a dozen different brands and buying less from each.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by PimTac
Check back in April when the weather warms up some.

Agree! Beginning in April (decent weather) is when the upper half of the USA gets back to changing their own oil and Walmart shelves will be fully stocked.

Yeap, that's definitely a factor too. I bought oil and a filter for my car as it was getting close to being due. I planned to change it at 5000 miles but ended up at 6000+ before we got a warmer bit of weather. I could have done it at work where I have a heated space but that would mean dragging my ramps, some tools, and the worst part, disposing of the old oil (well, I could have stopped at a couple auto parts stores on the way home to dipose it...).

Walmart didn't have my Chevron there the other day, so I walked out and went straight to Costco.

After doing all the math, Chevron from Costco comes out to exactly $13 for 5 quarts.

My walmart has had a lot of empty shelf space since the fall. First, they jacked the price of my FS Magnatec to almost as much or at times the same price as its "superior" brother, Edge and arch nemesis Mobil 1. Then, the Magnatec I use disappeared altogether for the last month and a half.

Last night, there was hardly any 5w30 full synthetic in any brand other than Supertech which is good oil but leaves little choice. There was a lot of FS Magnatec 0w20 which made me think they push that more during colder months since more people would want it in colder parts of the country.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

That also coincides with the ND30 flying off the shelves because that's what people think they are supposed to use in their lawn mowers.

I don't change my own, but buy the SuperTech Dexos 1 Gen 2, and use it at the local oil change place. Cheaper than having them do a "synthetic" oil change with who knows what.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
On line is so easy, especially as I have little time to shop right now in my life.
I usually buy 2 or 3 jugs and filters. Sometimes I add Raison Bran.

Yup!
I just purchased 5 - five quart jugs of 5w30 Chevron Supreme @ $12.42 per jug on Sunday from Walmart online.
Free 2 day ship and will arrive Tuesday.

Item Qty Total
Chevron Supreme Motor Oil, 5W30
$12.42 5 $62.10

Order subtotal $62.10
Walmart shipping FREE
Total tax: $4.97
Merchandise fees: $0.10
Order total: $67.17

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back