Oil or grease?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KW

I have only used oil on my guns but have lately have been thinking of using grease on them. Any thoughts on if one is better and the other?

I'm definitely not an expert, but I started using a tiny daub of Mobil 1 grease on the bolts of some rimfire .22 and .17s, and it really slicked them up. In particular, on my Marlin where the bolt lever cams over the receiver when locking, it helped.

But please be careful - if grease gets into certain things it can mess them up. Good luck.

Why not both, I use grease in the lugs of the barrel and in the upper portion of the slide, and oil on the rails and the rest of the barrel, I try grease in the entire gun but it slows too much, I find this combination the best for my gun.

Grease when it is warm out; if it's cold, then oil, by far. Basically, grease is the way to go until it gets too cold and starts to gum up the action.

On semi autos, most experts say that you should use oil. Grease is really only recommended on certain designs. I know that AMT 1911 guns needed grease to keep from galling, and most Garand bolt type guns speced grease.

I dont like grease on most guns because its messy.

on my garand i used a grease sold by champion shooter supply. it is plastilube. it also was the only grease that would prevent rust. on a handgun i would use a oil

On my rifles I used motor oil. Never thought about grease but oil is messy enough to keep clean. It attracts dog hair like crazy.

I use both. Some guns just get oil, other get a combination of the two for different parts. I use plain old NAPA white lithium grease.

I use almost all oil (Weapon Shield). About the only thing I grease is aluminum slide rails, and that is with light gun specific grease.

I think I might try some grease after the next time I go out shooting. Just on the rails and oil everywhere else.

I use grease on everything. Put a little on a toothbrush and go to town; stays were you put it. Hard to reach spots get oil. Mil-Comm makes excellent stuff which works in a wide range temperatures: TW25B grease and MC255 oil. Shooter's Choice High-Tech grease is GTG too.

I have been oiling my guns like you would an M16. Oil everything then to your best to try and wipe it all off. Lately I have been leaving a little more of a film on the slides and other moving parts.

Most (if not all) gunsmiths and gun manufactuers recomend oil. I sometimes wonder if people wanting to used grease on guns is akin to using 20w-50 in a car because a ton of people always think "thicker is better".

Just like the M1 on guns debate. It seems the 15w-50 is the most popular M1 for guns but from what I have learned over the years thinner is alway better for firearms.

Depending on where you use the oil... grease is a better medium to use. It stays where you put it and it doesn't fly off during the firing phase getting you face full of oil and on your glasses.

On areas like the slide I use strictly grease and just a drop of oil in combination to make it slightly more fluid like.

Allot of people are using motor oil instead of oils designed for guns as you get more for a cheaper price.

Durango

I know an old Marine that to this day uses a mix of one quart 15w50 Mobil 1 and one bottle of STP on all of his guns.

Works for him, but I wouldnt do it.

Originally Posted By: Durango
Depending on where you use the oil... grease is a better medium to use. It stays where you put it and it doesn't fly off during the firing phase getting you face full of oil and on your glasses.

If that is really a problem for you I suggest learning how to clean and lube guns. I have likely fired in excess of 150K rounds in my life and have never seen this happen.

I considered using grease for a while but it is harder to clean and not too cold in cold weather. Of course there are a few rifles and perhaps shotguns where you are supposed to use grease.

Anymore I think oil is better for a gun. I clean my gun every time I shoot and I clean guns in storage on a regular basis. Put the right amount of oil on and it should not get on your face or glasses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back