Oil Light Flickering 2004 BMW 325i

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
I know nothing about this car or its history. Just trying to sell it soon.

Sometimes at idle the oil pressure light flickers, when I rev it the light goes away. Oil level is full, have no idea what's in it.

Any common problems with these that causes this? Simple sensor needing replaced?

Thanks for the help

2mgjqc0.jpg

I would change the oil pressure switch and the oil & filter with correct items.
The switch is probably less than the oil & filter on a beemer.

As long as the light is yellow, and goes away within 60-90sec of driving, it's typical and the only thing that replacing the Oil Level Sender unit will do is cost you money that you are VASTLY better off spending elsewhere...

Is the pressure sensor a part to buy at the dealer or the parts store? Not sure how picky these cars are

Like others have said, the issue is probably incorrect oil. If in fact you do need a sending unit the BMW part number is 12618611273, and it is available for less than $20.

Well, if it is less than $20 which is cheaper than the oil change, go for it then! If that does not fix it, you know for sure that you absolutely need to unload this car on some innocent sucker pronto!

I haven't changed the oil yet, too hot to do so. The light only comes on when stopped and after a highway drive in the heat.

iy29hz.jpg

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Either the sensor is bad or the bearings are shot. What viscosity are you using and what viscosity is recommended?
I have no idea what is in it. It runs great, but I'm selling it for a family friend. I'm debating whether or not to change the oil, throw some Mobil 1 0w40 in it.

I've got some 10w40 MaxLife in my stash, can I pour that in it?

Well yes if you don't know what's in it try the Maxlife and get it hot and see if it goes away. If someone put a resource conserving 5w30 in there it could be getting too thin in the Arizona heat when temperatures are maxed.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
If this turns out to be worn engine, would that family friend still be your friend?

What does he care? He's just trying to sell it for them.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Vikas
If this turns out to be worn engine, would that family friend still be your friend?

What does he care? He's just trying to sell it for them.
Yeah I'm selling the car and driving it in the meantime, I couldn't care less.

I'm actually going to put 250 miles on the car today. Going to look at a Corolla that I might buy.

Change the oil to Mobil 1 0w40, and install a new oil sensor. If it fixes the problem you will get more money for the car if the oil light doesn't come on at stop lights. With only 83k miles (I think that is what the odometer said in the pic) it shouldn't be worn bearings unless it was run with no oil or had coolant contamination. If the car sounds good otherwise and doesn't knock or anything I think it is worth a shot.
thumbsup2.gif

If the oil sender doesn't correct it, you also need to suspect a clogged oil pick up.

There was another member here who went through this with a VW this past spring. In the end he pulled the pan and found the screen sludged. Fortunately he was able to clean it and save the engine before it was oil starved and more damage done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back