Oil Leaking from Drain Plug

Has anyone experienced this before? How did you solve it?

I've never seen it before personally, even on very old cars.

I tried re-torquing it and will check back next oil change. I will also put in a new crush washer next oil change.
A crush washer should be replaced at every oil change.

My Titan uses a copper crush washer.

Screen Shot 2022-11-27 at 9.27.07 AM.jpg

I will swap to a rubber washer style drain plug which in my experience lasts as long as I own the vehicle.

Screen Shot 2022-11-27 at 9.26.42 AM.jpg

No leaks here... new crush washers at each interval, fancy stainless magnetic drainplugs with beautiful threads, and always use a torque wrench for pan thread protection.
I'd wager the leaks are caused by buggered up threads on the plug and pan, caused by hacks.

I am not so foolish, poor, or cheap to not replace the drain plug washer.

Since washers are so inexpensive, and can easily be obtained from many sources, and you're under the car and are removing the drain plug, what is the point of not replacing washers at every oil change? Just because it's not leaked before is no guarantee that it won't leak at this or after a subsequent oil change. Maybe it's my generally conservative nature, but I just don't get it.

Maybe you need the experience of cleaning up dripped oil from your new, concrete driveway?

Last edited:
Since washers are so inexpensive, and can easily be obtained from many sources, and you're under the car and are removing the drain plug, what is the point of not replacing washers at every oil change? Just because it's not leaked before is no guarantee that it won't leak at this or after a subsequent oil change. Maybe it's my generally conservative nature, but I just don't get it.

I agree. You have to spend $30 or $40 bucks or more for a DIY oil change, the extra $1 or less for a crush washer is insignificant.

...around these parts ya go to an autostore for a specific washer and they point to the box of assorted copper washers followed by it should work..

When ya got a time slot to get it done searching for a crush washer is a no go...just push the drain plug through a scrap piece of gasket paper and tighten plug. Then just tear off the access around the plug and move on...

i NEVER change washers BUY use oil resistant locktite after a long draining time, wipe as clean as you can or jack it a bit more to keep it dryer!! 3 bikes a car + truck gets same treatment!!

You can buy one for x number of cents. However how do you know its the right thickness? How do you know its the right material?

Yes, there is the money cost which is tiny, but then there is also the time cost of seeking out the correct washer. If you buy your filter at a parts store, then you gotta drive to the dealer to get the proper washer. If you never had issues not replacing washers, there is no reason to waste your time.

I haven't done any oil changes on this car btw. I will look into the washer and possible damaged threads.

Are you reading my posts? I even gave you the part number, aluminum or copper is the way to go. When you go to the parts store as I already mentioned, get a box and keep them at hand, while your getting your filter, so you don't need to go to the dealer. Real part stores stock drain plug gaskets, it's a about being proactive and not having to do the job twice.

Always a good idea the clean the pan surface before putting a new gasket on. Is it really a true folded type Crush washer or just a flat washer?
Before and after the install of the drain plug with a new washer I clean the plug and pan with window cleaner and wipe clean with paper towels . Also check plug and oil filter with paper towels to detect a leak for about a week after the O.C.. Did have the drain plug / washer ( new ) of the '18 Accent start to weep after an oil change . I think it was due to a swing in temperatures . Went from 60 or 70 to the teens . Tightened a bit more and no more leaking . Now I always check the drain plug with new washer and oil filter when temps get colder .

Last edited:
Back